Skip to content

Kashket charged with betting offences.

oh dear.

Comments

• Great statement from the club, although we’ve come to expect nothing less.

I feel awful for Scott, I’d imagine a lengthy bad is coming.

• Correct and absolutely expected response from the club. I hope Scott gets any help he might need, whatever his punishment. I fear you're right, @floyd, in anticipating a long suspension.

• Just seen this on twitter, I feel terrible for kashket I remember hearing about his hard time at Leyton orient on sky sports and how the owner was antisemitic towards him. Hoping it isn’t a lengthy ban and us fans need to stand behind him

• I also wonder if the FA look into the way they treated Scotty like they are with these bets?

• Well done to the club for supporting Scott. The right thing to do.

I can't really think of how best to express it but there's something very unsavoury about an industry that rakes in millions from betting companies advertising and sponsorship then punishing individuals who have succumbed to it.

I'd treat betting companies the same way as tobacco companies. Not allowed to sponsor competitions, not allowed to sponsor shirts, and not allowed to advertise on television or in magazines/newspapers/websites

• I knew it was a rubbish time for him at Orient but wasn't really aware of any of the detail. Any links anywhere?

• The length of any ban will on whether he bet on matches he was involved in.

As a precedent Joey Barton got 18 months, but hopefully that partly reflected on his myriad of other misdemeanors over the years.

• I totally agree with @eric_plant. Betting companies are scum. I had the misfortune of watching sky sports recently and realised that the entire channel has just become a vehicle for advertising betting. Every shot had a betting company logo in it, every advert in every ad break was for betting. “Gamble responsibly” messages are as useful as writing “smoke healthily” on fag packets.

• Notice too how the FUN in "When the fun stops stop" is the most prominent word.

• If anything can be proven to be addictive I’m all for banning advertising it. Can’t remember the last time I saw an advert for crack on telly and I haven’t felt the urge for years.

• By all accounts he was treated appallingly by the Italian owners at Orient so perhaps not a surprise he turned into this. Great statement by the club supporting him through this.

• I seem to recall him celebrating wildly in front of the Orient bench when he scored against them at Adams Park early in his career!

• A recent case where the player was banned for six weeks after placing 59 bets, some on games involving his own club: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49649447

• edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    A recent case where the player was banned for six weeks after placing 59 bets, some on games involving his own club: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49649447

It's bizarre Leeds moaning about a ban when the players had the rules expressly explained to them! Then again why has it taken them three or four years to being charges??

• I did wonder that. I assume they're constantly monitoring but can't necessarily link patterns or whatever to individuals that easily?

• Scotty is a fan favourite at the club and one of the best forwards I have seen at my years. It makes sense for the club to support him. I wonder if the FA will let him off because of the 'difficult time'.

• I'd be surprised if the FA 'let him off' even if they consider the 'difficult time' to be an extenuating circumstance.
    While it's entirely two-faced of them to punish individuals who break the rule E8 while simultaneously allowing betting firms to sponsor football clubs and advertise at the grounds that's not going to stop the FA.
    I'm sure that those at the top of the FA don't even acknowledge there to be any kind of a link to the exponential rise in betting - especially online - and said sponsorship and advertising.
    It's not even that they care about this matter because of its affect on the individuals it's all about protecting the integrity of the events so that they can continue to attract those very same sponsors and advertisers.

• edited December 2019

• I really feel for Kashket, it will make for a very miserable holiday season for him with the uncertainty and media attention hanging over his head.

Saying that, I don't think he should be let off just because his spell at Orient was very personally challenging. Perhaps some leniency, but they will need to hand out some kind of punishment.

• @Twizz I'm amazed at your attitude! I am sure neither the SkyBet League or the Football Association have any interest in promoting betting...ask Ray Winstone.

• It's taking over the game. Just look at the shirt sponsorships in the top two divisions for starters. I don't think I'd buy a Wycombe shirt if we were to go down that route.

• He can play the next 2 games then, and then we're hoping any precedent is more the 6 week side of things, then the Joey Barton huge ban route.

It all depends if the bets were involving his own team I suppose. That'll definitely add severity.

• @Twizz said:
    It's not even that they care about this matter because of its affect on the individuals it's all about protecting the integrity of the events so that they can continue to attract those very same sponsors and advertisers.

This.

• edited December 2019

@Malone said:
    He can play the next 2 games then, and then we're hoping any precedent is more the 6 week side of things, then the Joey Barton huge ban route.

It all depends if the bets were involving his own team I suppose. That'll definitely add severity.

I doubt he'll be in the squad for the next game - for his own good tbh. The kind of reaction he'd get from the crowd is sadly inevitable.

• I doubt any 'difficult times' will be taken into account, but I think betting on your own team (to win OR lose) is an absolute no-no. Fingers crossed his crimes are minor ones!!

• Surely betting on your own team is going into match-fixing territory? I'm amazed the Leeds lad got such a short ban having bet on Leeds.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I doubt any 'difficult times' will be taken into account, but I think betting on your own team (to win OR lose) is an absolute no-no. Fingers crossed his crimes are minor ones!!

Yep, it's all about the nature of the bets, and I bet the Wycombe lot are frantically checking with him as we speak.

If it was his own team, he could be gone for months.
    If it was just general football games, then maybe upto 6 weeks, as per other precedents.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Surely betting on your own team is going into match-fixing territory? I'm amazed the Leeds lad got such a short ban having bet on Leeds.

I suppose if you're not playing (and thus unable to influence the game) it's not match-fixing. If you are playing and bet on your side to lose I think you're in deep brown stuff...(which is what I think Grobbelaar was accused of...)