Skip to content

Graham Coughlan set to leave Bristol Rovers

Comments

• bizarre to say the least

• He lives in Sheffield apparently, so it would be closer to home for him, but surely there's more to it?

• Hope that derails them, as they're definitely coming right into the mixer.

• Taking his chance to make some £ while his stock is high, combo of falling out with the board, moving nearer home maybe, gamble for him in the long term.
    Absolute lack of class from all concerned though.

• Strange day for Rovers, beat Ipswich away, then lose your manager!

• edited December 2019

A strange one. Though, now I read the article Tom linked to, it seems a bit clearer. (And not especially lacking in class.)

• He's now left. Will they fade away or will they be like Luton last season? Much is likely to depend on the future of Jonson Clarke-Harris.

• Well they have the added distraction of an FA cup tie against fellow promotion contenders Coventry.

• I know they are a quasi-rival, and that this helps us, but I have to feel for their fans. Imagine if GA left in the midst of this amazing run, for a League TWO club!

• It's surely another thing that's going for us.
    Just as they're building a head of steam, this hopefully derails them.

• @Shev said:
    I know they are a quasi-rival, and that this helps us, but I have to feel for their fans. Imagine if GA left in the midst of this amazing run, for a League TWO club!

If ever you feel sympathy for them, just remember their horde of goons sprinting onto our pitch in the 45th game of the season 5 or so years back. In the ultimate too early celebration.

• Or when their board complained to the Football League, using a truly baseless claim, to try and have us relegated in their place.

• @Shev said:
    I know they are a quasi-rival, and that this helps us, but I have to feel for their fans. Imagine if GA left in the midst of this amazing run, for a League TWO club!

I don't feel bad for them at all, i think it's tremendous.

• I guess I find it hard to hate other football fans. Most of them are going through similar roller coasters, but with different clubs. With the muppets among them, I like to assume it is a minority.

• @Shev said:
    I guess I find it hard to hate other football fans. Most of them are going through similar roller coasters, but with different clubs. With the muppets among them, I like to assume it is a minority.

This.

• @Shev said:
    I guess I find it hard to hate other football fans. Most of them are going through similar roller coasters, but with different clubs. With the muppets among them, I like to assume it is a minority.

Exactly

• As long as Parkinson and discontent are still in place at Sunderland in January I will be happy.

• @Wendoverman said:
    As long as Parkinson and discontent are still in place at Sunderland in January I will be happy.

That.

• Just waiting for “The other” now.

• Steady on @micra, wot wiv your dodgy ticker an all???

• @Shev said:

Hate is too strong, being the cliche.

But fooball is built on petty rivalries. It's what we all love, and why wins against some teams are more special than anyone outside of your support base would ever understand or notice!

• I don't actually 'hate' anyone for their club allegiance.

MK Dons is the closest because I don't actually have any interest in discussing football with them.

But I always find it perplexing when two League One/Two fans hate each other and wont converse. They've got far more in common with each other than 99% of the population!

• No one's talked about hating Bristol Rovers fans have they? It's simply their behavior towards the end of the 13/14 season means i think . we're allowed to enjoy their misfortune.

And it was the owners of the club, not a minority of the fanbase, that tried to put us out of business that summer.

• It may just be semantics, so I will rephrase that I find it hard to enjoy other's misfortune, or think it tremendous when bad things happen to them.

• I had an interesting experience yesterday evening. I went for a drink with a couple of guys who work for a supplier. I’ve known them several years and they know very well who I support. Last night they brought along a colleague who is a Col U supporter. He is about the same vintage as me and remembers that the rivalry goes all the way back to the 1982 FA Cup game.

Now this may be sacrilege, but I actually liked him even more because we had a shared memory of our historic rivalry. He was a nice guy anyway. The other two were quite bemused by what they clearly felt was a deeply felt rivalry based on actually not that much.

I’m not sure what the general point is that I’m trying to make. But I think it’s that our “hatred” of particular teams doesn’t and shouldn’t translate into hatred or even dislike of their individual supporters. In the pantomime of football rivalry, the individual can absolutely be separated from the collective.

Except for the Franchise, of course.

• @Shev said:
    It may just be semantics, so I will rephrase that I find it hard to enjoy other's misfortune, or think it tremendous when bad things happen to them.

Again, I agree strongly.

(Though, tediously and avoidably pedantically, I suggest it ought to be " others' " assuming you to be referring to the misfortune of others).

• I think some clubs are very easy to dislike, and Bristol Rovers would certainly be one of those. Others (just off the top of my head) would be Colchester, Oxford, Reading, Plymouth, Luton to name but a few

MK Dons belong in another category altogether. A feeling of nothingness is what they deserve. A complete irrelevance to us all. Hopefully the way they are going they will soon become a distant memory, a club who existed briefly that didn't ever deserve to exist.

• With that in mind, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is hoping that both Manchester clubs register convincing victories tonight