Skip to content

January business?

Only a few days before the window opens, will we do any business? Clearly an extended contract for Charles. Decision time for Aarons. I know he has not had many games but not totally convincing. With his ability, he should be terrorising League 1. I would like to see a creative midfielder with the ability of opening up defences to compliment our hard working midfielders. Also I think we could do with a proven goal scorer. Bayo is brilliant for us but not convinced Samuels or Parker give us that X factor that will push us to promotion.

Icing on the cake , on my wish list, is Gape to sign new contract.

Comments

• edited December 2019

I don't think we'll do anything - will only have the budget to bring in a loanee, and that might be a push. Freeman and Ofoborh are creative midfielders and we have enough players who'll chip in with 5-10 goals over the course of the season. I think we should keep Aarons until the end of the season, assuming he wants to stay. Charles new contract is a must. Probably offload CMS by mutual consent?

• a centre-back and a goalkeeper would be my guess, for the sake of resilience in the run-in. We have a lot of options everywhere else, with unprecedented quality.

• It is quite tricky...I think Aarons will stay though not sure if he went we would suffer too much once smyth and Fred are fully back. Otherwise I am pleased with the players that are starting and haven't seen enough of the ones who aren't to suggest we get shot! I shall leave it to Gareth and Dobbo this year.

• edited December 2019

Maybe another CB. I know Sido can play RB or there, but if he has to fill in for Grimmer long-term at any stage, we'll be down to three CBs - and Charles needs special management. That said, I think Ofoborh can play at CB if absolutely necessary, and Ben Frempah is still training with us.

Would we be able to get another 'keeper in? Surely only another unproven youngster if anyone - and we have one of those who trains with us but isn't signed up.

• And JGS will surely go out on loan.

• no point getting a keeper - you can get one in on loan if needed

• I would send Aarons back and use the wage saving to get a centre back in on loan. We all know Charles and Stewart have had their injury problems in the past, so it would be comforting to have some cover there.

However, we really need Richie to give us the lowdown on likely transfer activity!

• However, we really need Richie to give us the lowdown on likely transfer activity!

I think the Hatters relegation battle has broken his spirit...or the club have had him nicked for leaking confidential financial information. :smile:

• Parker and JGS out on loan, maybe getting a 1-2month loanee using their wages, but keep the rest the same.

And really hope Fred is imminently back, and he's not got a really really serious one that we're keeping on the low.

• I'm sure Gareth said before the break that he hoped to have him back fairly soon.

• he said after the Brewers' match that he expects him back "like a fresh signing" in January.

• That'll do nicely!

• We already have a centre back spare, on loan from QPR, he's Giles-Phillips.

• We need NO movement in January so Trev can tell us we'll never get promoted with this awful squad.

• I'd be happier with one more center back, dont think we need anything else..... unless someone unbelievable becomes available that Gareth just cant say no to ?

• @chairboyscentral said:

Who's Trev?

@trevor used to appear every every loss and confidently predicted we would not get promoted from League Two. Not surprised you didn't know. He's not been about much recently. :smile:

Who's Trev?

Mr Stroud!

• One more striker. It's evident. Need a goal scorer. Aarons is good . However playing at top and playing league one is a different ball game. Adapt like a chameleon and build and adapt as you go. There was funny rumours onien may come back. Not sure about my thoughts on this though.

• edited December 2019

I just don't think we need a striker. Our attacking threat is built around Bayo or Samuel, each of whom are more of a 'focal point', and we've been missing Smyth and Fred - two players who I back to get a fair few goals (Fred already had four before his lay-off) - for most of the season. We can also mix it up and bring Kashket - whose goals per 90 for Wycombe is amazing - into a more central role if need be. We won't be able to go out and get a League One-proven out-and-out striker, but we've got enough players chipping in with enough goals.

It's the exception rather than the rule, but when Burton went up from this division in 2016, their top scorer only scored 12 and no other player hit double figures. The key for them that season was their defence, whose record we're currently on course to better. They also only scored 57 goals, which we're also on course to better.

• Id like to see Tom Elliott come in for competition up top, he's been a handful everytime ive seen him play against us..... not getting near the millwall squad

• Where do people think we're going to get the money from? We're almost maxing out under the SCMP as it is.

• edited December 2019

We've got plenty up front, as Mr Central laid out.

Success will be all about keeping everyone fit.
    We've done well to totally get away withThompson, Fred and Smyth missing fairly substantial periods so far.

Aarons hasn't exploded like we all thought he would yet. Maybe he won't! But we have plenty of other options.

• @Malone said:

We've done well to totally get away withThompson, Fred and Smyth missing fairly substantial periods so far.

Aarons hasn't exploded like we all thought he would yet. Maybe he won't! But we have plenty of other options.

I keep forgetting Thompson missed the first ten games - and we were second by the time he came back!

• edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

I keep forgetting Thompson missed the first ten games - and we were second by the time he came back!

It is all like some sort of mad dream.
    Bloomfield rightfully starting in league 1 for a top of the table team.
    The Charles story.
    JJ reborn.
    Any semblance of "Alldrop" has totally died away after the Fleetwood away fumble.
    Leaving loanees from championship and Premier league clubs on the bench quite often.

And for half the season having a rightful argument that our "best" player is out injured!!

• edited December 2019

Fred, Smyth and Aarons were probably seen as the 'best' three summer arrivals? They've started only eight, four and four games respectively. Neither Fred nor Smyth played between early October and late November (five games we were missing both of them, four of which we won).

Fred, Smyth and Aarons were probably seen as the 'best' three summer arrivals? They've started only eight, four and four games respectively. Neither Fred nor Smyth played between early October and late November.

All adds to the magic, that more often than not, we've played a high majority of last year's team!

Being greedy, we can still wonder what happens when those 3 catch fire. Or actually make the pitch!

• I think Wheeler is a nailed-on starter now, so those three - Fred and Paul in particular - will have to battle it out for the other wide forward spot, which is a good thing!

• Wheeler has the shirt right now, but I'm sure there's plenty of connotations and rotations ahead!

• We also have a left back who scores for fun. What times!