Skip to content

Ringing The Blues

Comments

• Well, bad luck @bluntphil - but all I can say is that to be even nominated is an incredible achievement, considering the 92 league clubs multiplied by however many have a plurality of podcasts. To do this in your first year is quite something, especially considering all the other demands you have on your time. We were all hoping for the win (I was refreshing the awards twitter feed myself), and perhaps next year the powers that be will see the light!

I can only imagine how amazing the Fulham podcast must be. Perhaps it opens with a nine-part harmony cover of 'Hey Jude'?

• Wish I’d said something along those lines @Shev . Very aptly put.

• Thank you everyone for all the good luck messages and kind words concerning the FSA Awards over that last few days/weeks.

So, we didn’t win but we had a wonderful evening and met some great people. I think I’d only got to about episode 8/9 when RTB got nominated and I have to confess when I first saw the news on twitter, my initial reaction was:

“Why have the Financial Services Authority nominated Ringing The Blues for an award?”

It’s been great to learn about the work of the Football Supporters Association. The big message I took from the majority of the winners last night was that awards are nice, but it’s actually all about doing stuff that makes a difference to people.

And with that wind in my sails, onwards to Ep.16

Thanks to everyone who’s listened, commented, reviewed, shared etc. COYB!

• "The big message I took from the majority of the winners last night was that awards are nice, but it’s actually all about doing stuff that makes a difference to people."

You've literally made people's weeks better. You should be very proud

• Spot-on @eric_plant and thank you Phil.

• Hard luck Phil. I genuinely do not even have to listen to the winning Fulham podcast, there isn’t a chance it is better than Ringing the Blues. Considering you had only done 8 or 9 podcast episodes when nominated, that really does say it all. Keep up the fantastic quality and content and you will certainly be a winner in the future. Thank you for always brightening up my Mondays. All the best to you and your family for Christmas.

• “And the ‘Best Newcomer Award’ go to .........”

• @bluntphil said:
    it’s actually all about doing stuff that makes a difference to people.

For the first time in my entire life, I actually look forward to Monday mornings. That's a hell of an achievement.

• Congratulations anyway @bluntphil I hope there was plenty of free booze and cajun burgers to soften the disappointment! :wink:

• @Wendoverman said:
    Congratulations anyway @bluntphil I hope there was plenty of free booze and cajun burgers to soften the disappointment! :wink:

Slight derail... do they still have the creole / cajun burger? I've been told they don't do them any more by the FA staff for the last couple of games.

Back on track, it really is a well put together show. I think Rob mentioned stepping up our media game when he takes over, maybe this could become a 'WWTV' feature as well at some point in the future.

• @niebieski I'm never in the Frank Adams so not sure on the food situation at present. However, as Rob mentioned on this week's episode, the deal won't be done until early in the New Year (potentially 6th Jan) and I think we may have to wait until then for the Couhigs to begin work on the 'fan experience'. Happy to ask him though when I see him next.

• @niebieski said:
    Back on track, it really is a well put together show. I think Rob mentioned stepping up our media game when he takes over, maybe this could become a 'WWTV' feature as well at some point in the future.

I second this!

• @niebieski said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Congratulations anyway @bluntphil I hope there was plenty of free booze and cajun burgers to soften the disappointment! :wink:

Slight derail... do they still have the creole / cajun burger? I've been told they don't do them any more by the FA staff for the last couple of games.

no, no, no

These things work far far better as independent ventures. The last thing you want is people at the club wanting a say in what goes into it

Leave it as it is - it's brilliant

• Oh, I didn't read that properly. An independent WWTV might be an option, though?

• that brings to mind that dreadful Arsenal TV and the like

• Oh, nothing involving vox pops like that. Rabid anger is only funny for so long.

• My very limited TV experience was enough to tell me that it’s a very time consuming process, especially to do it well. Although, I’d be more than happy to present some stuff - it’s just all the fiddly editing that takes the time.

Remaining independent and audio only is certainly the future as I see it. I have a longish list of potential features for RTB and I also took a lot of inspiration last night at the FSA Awards. Plus, I’m always open to ideas from you lot, so don’t be shy.

• I have one tiny suggestion. It would be helpful if the episodes had slightly more descriptive titles as that would make it easier to re-find them when we want to go back and listen to an old episode.

• Hi Phil, how about selecting a group of supporters (5 or 6) that can string a sentence together and know something about the game, without resorting to swearing or abusing, giving a short audio ‘match report’ or ‘thoughts from the game’ using WhatsApp or a voicemail message. Maybe pick 3 every week to play, 60-90 seconds each, just to get a flavour or what the fans are thinking a bit more after each game. I have heard this on other podcasts and it works well. I’m sure we have many gasroomers that could do a great job with that.

• @drcongo - great idea. Will start this week.

@Quarterman - I've been thinking about how to do this for a while now. WhatsApp is great and I have a spare sim card which could be handy for this. There is also a facility on Anchor (the pod app/website I use to distribute RTB) where people can send me voice messages... https://anchor.fm/phil-catchpole

• I’ll admit to skipping the opposition view this week, but ‘Plymouth and Colchester our prayers are with you,’ put coffee all over my steering wheel!

• That had me cracking up today too @floyd

• Just caught up on RTB listening to episodes 8 through 14 on the journey home after being away for Christmas. What can I say? @bluntphil this is excellent stuff and no wonder you were nominated for the podcast award. The interviews are excellent, the Dobbo interview is superb, what an insight into the machinations of football coaching and to the mans character, we are lucky to have him. The @glasshalffull interview was interesting...you never know who you'll meet in the gents! AH I felt came off less well, grateful for what he did for the club but probably wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with him, but interesting all the same. I'm getting tee shirts printed btw for the campaign to rename the stokenchurch tower the "Mark West" tower. Love it! The sirens and horns announcing the C*lu loss made me laugh out loud!! Excellent job Phil, keep it going.

One bit of feedback I have, technical not content related, and this is being really picky, is concerning the sound levels during the interviews. The missus was asleep in the passenger seat and particularly when interviewing Gaz his voice was super quiet so I tweaked the volume up only to be blasted with @bluntphil 's voice when asking a question....nearly waking up Mrs The_Relaxed!

Overall a top listen, an asset to the WWFC collective and helped the four hour drive back from the olds pass in the blink of an eye. Keep it going, next year you'll win the award no question.

• Happy New Year all. Ringing The Blues will return on the 12th Jan with a bumper edition ft. the Cov, Ipswich and Sunderland games.

• @bluntphil said:
    Happy New Year all. Ringing The Blues will return on the 12th Jan with a bumper edition ft. the Cov, Ipswich and Sunderland games.

Happy New Year to you, too, @bluntphil.

• Roker Raport pod cast with Bluntphil is a fantastic listen, easy to access via YouTube.

• Listened to that this morning, it's excellent.