Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Interesting @perfidious_albion (and perhaps a little disturbing) that the
    Derby fan you mentioned in your post of 11.46 am only rated two of our players yesterday as being Championship standard, including a 19 year-old (Nmandi Ofobohr) still finding his feet at League 1 level.
    I am beginning to see qualities in David Wheeler that hadn’t been obvious to me, to be honest, but at least partly as a result of having had them pointed out to me by more discerning fellow Gasroomers.

I don’t think yesterday’s combative and often scrappy match was ideal to make judgments and I think the Derby fan would need to watch several games and cast his eyes over the likes of Smyth, Onyedinma, Gape, Freeman and Grimmer before deciding whether our present squad plus a few reinforcements would be likely to survive (if only just) at the higher level.

• Sido was excellent but I can see what Cloughie was on about. They must have had the majority of possession and second half was a backs to the wall for us I thought. I fully expected their pressure to tell but Charles, Stewart and oborforh were everywhere! I thought first goal was against the run of play to some extent and was ecstatic to see the second one go in. Agree about wheeler and glad to see him score.

• Bloomers also scored our first goal in the famous 4-3 over Carlisle, so he got at least two that season.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Just watched our second goal on repeat.
    Sums up the season so far: Sublime to the ridiculous.
    Bayo looses a 50:50.
    Falls to Wheeler who plays a Premier League pass. Blooms, not reading the game to the same level, thinking it’s his yet fails to reach it.
    Alex P the intended recipient, low on confidence, puts a hopeful cross in, which if it reaches Scotty K, who went too early, would have been off side for the tap in.
    Weak tired defensive clearance falls to Blooms who ,out on his feet, is following up on instinct for the tap in.
    GOAL, thank you and good night.
    The gods are with us.

This is a bit cruel. Blooms goes towards it because he's attacking the goal, the ball to Kashket is a good one but well defended, and Blooms finishes pretty well.

• edited December 2019

The 'keeper arguably should have done better; it was a bit of a scuff.

• Following on with regards the comments made by a Derby fan on who would be good enough in the championship, without being too negative as we’re having a historic season with the players on our books, I think we all have a pretty good idea who will adapt and compete at that level, the future of this club moving forward to the championship (if we continue as we are) isn’t with players coming to the end of their careers, the game is more faster, more technical, and more physical, if we take out our loan players, and also our older slower players (without being negative about our squad) we are left very short of a team who can compete in the championship, but I’m pretty confident the majority of our squad have what it takes, before we dip into the market or get loan players this is how I see our current squad
    Allsop, grimmer, Charles? But can only play one game a week, so need another quality CB, Stewart, JJ? Not sure he would cut it with championship wingers running at him
    Gape, Thompson, Freeman, Fred, Wheeler, Kashket, again apologies if you disagree, but everyone else is either, too old and slow, not good enough, or are on loan to us

• I wrote this summary to someone who couldn't come to yesterday's game: -

The performance was about as good as you could get - if we'd been away from home. Dull, boring, sap the life out of the game, silence the crowd, score a goal from a set piece then sit back and soak up the pressure. Score a late 2nd to wrap it up with a couple of minutes left on the clock.

Still we are top of the league, so who cares?

In a couple of years when we've consolidated our position in the Championship, then I'll expect expansive play like Liverpool or Man City at their best. Until then I'll settle.for watching a few performances like yesterday.

• edited December 2019

Bayo would still have a part to play in the Championship. Allsop, Grimmer, Wheeler and Fred have all played there before, although Fred has made by far the most appearances. Anyway, let's get there first!

• The Championship - if it happens - would be so intriguing as far as how we would go about competing (enough to stay up) in a division that is running up horrendous debts. Do we try and stay up with what we have, plus some quality loanees, to avoid racking up costs?

Either way, it's a "problem" I hope we get to have!

• edited December 2019

The gap from League One to Championship is huge and we'd be on the end of a few hidings, but who could say they'd rather not go up?

• My Derby fan attendee also mentioned their 2006/07 season. They were promoted to the Premier League at the end of the season having scuffed / ‘won ugly’ etc. They were totally unprepared for the leap. I think they went down 07/08 with a record low points total.
    Like everyone I am loving our amazing run, just have this worry, is it too much too soon.

• Better to go up and come down than to never go up at all.

• Yep, 11 points and one win.

• A Derby fan has said only two of our players looked Championship class a good 6 months before any of them might possibly have to play there for us? Most of our players have been written off as not L1 or even league standard and on we roll, the chances of us competing at Championship level without wholesale changes and incredible investment is slim but we've got the best possible people in charge and there's a lot of fun to be had this season and beyond regardless.

• The Derby fan didn’t say ‘only two’, he highlighted the two who he recognised to be of that level. He wasn’t belittling or team rather recognising talent.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sido was excellent but I can see what Cloughie was on about. They must have had the majority of possession and second half was a backs to the wall for us I thought. I fully expected their pressure to tell but Charles, Stewart and oborforh were everywhere! I thought first goal was against the run of play to some extent and was ecstatic to see the second one go in. Agree about wheeler and glad to see him score.

Sido was generally good, and I always like to see him involved.
    But he wasn't half done like a kipper by their wideman on one occasional, who totally bamboozled him and we were lucky the cross came to nothing.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    A Derby fan has said only two of our players looked Championship class a good 6 months before any of them might possibly have to play there for us? Most of our players have been written off as not L1 or even league standard and on we roll, the chances of us competing at Championship level without wholesale changes and incredible investment is slim but we've got the best possible people in charge and there's a lot of fun to be had this season and beyond regardless.

We shouldn't worry too much about what a guy who has watched us play once has to say surely?
    If we went on most opposition fan's "One offs" we'd come away thinking we were a super lucky, scandalously cheaty mob, without any good players.

Ofoborh usually doesn't get in above Gape and Thompson, so it's strange to mark him as one of the two who could play the higher level up, especially right now.

• edited December 2019

I can already see Ofoborh becoming one of our best midfielders. His range of passing is excellent and he puts himself about as well as anyone - a real unit. Can't half strike the ball well either!

• A Derby fan once told me Ed Sheeran would never make any money from singing.

• Charlton went up through the playoffs, with a crappy owner, and are doing better than Luton and Barnsley so far. You never know what might happen.

It would be an adventure, and exciting to see what would happen. I don't think we would be under much pressure, as long as we did not overspend. With GA is at the helm, I would fancy us to keep this fantastic team spirit going, and turn over a few clubs. I would never underestimate what we can get done with tenacity and commitment.

Even "doing a Burton" and staying up for two seasons instead of one, would be a tremendous achievement. They showed it is certainly possible, with a great manager and a well run club.

Just give us that chance!

• Stepping up to league 1 was meant to be a big step up, and huge to the top teams in the division.
    Roll on a few signings, and suddenly we're above all those top teams.

But let's worry about the next game first eh?

• Malone, as ever, hits exactly the right note.

• edited December 2019

Who would have thought six months ago that we'd be discussing who might cut it in the Championship and how frustrating a player like Rolando Aarons (to even have him is crazy) has been to watch?

• My most optimistic dream was "nibbling at the edges of the playoffs", as I said to a friend preseason.

What times we live in. No matter what happens from here on out, this manager and team have worked wonders!

• @Malone is a good guy and has the kind of insights that you’d expect from a former player (albeit I’ve no idea at what level).
    I’m still waiting for that tap on the shoulder @Malone.

On 21 September (my birthday), I had planned to meet several Gasroomers who post on here on a regular basis for a pint and a chat in “the village” but unfortunately wound up in Wycombe General from just before kick off until I was discharged at 5.30pm. Fortunately, I was able to listen to Phil Catchpole’s excellent commentary on iFollow (plus entertaining comments and “insights” (!) from Paul Smyth - remember him?). I’ve made the acquaintance of @ValleyWanderer, @NorsQuarters, @EwanHoosaami and @HCblue over the past couple of years and have known @TheChair, @Twizz, @Davieboy, @slaphead, @BlueBoy, @EddieMonsoon, @glasshalffull and @AlanCecil for rather longer.

I hope to meet all the above (collectively or otherwise) at some stage later in the season - ie when the weather once more makes it a real treat to stand and chat outside over a pint of Rebellion.

Apologies for derailment.

• All the best @micra and I trust that you're feeling stronger and better now. All of our old 'Tickers' are having a stern test at present with our present form and table position! Season's Greetings to you and I hope that we can all meet up for a celebratory Rebellion or two in the New Year.

• Great stuff @Wendoverman and many thanks for the kind words. I’m doing fine but may have to live with the occasional “episode”.

Apologies to @Jonny_King for omitting him from the list of acquaintances (and to any others I may have overlooked.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I can already see Ofoborh becoming one of our best midfielders. His range of passing is excellent and he puts himself about as well as anyone - a real unit. Can't half strike the ball well either!

His range of passing was excellent - his ability to hit a correctly paced pass however was incredibly frustrating.

• Best wishes @micra and yes hope to have that beer with you before too long. In the meantime wishing a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year