Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I was stood on the same side of the terrace (assuming you mean the side nearest the turnstiles) and one guy was shouting "fat c***" intermittently for most of the game - at who, I don't know. Also one or two mocking Scott Kashket's lisp, which was just plain weird and horrible. Atmosphere was also poor in there, not helped by the infamous drum.

Mmn. I found the atmosphere flat yesterday, not that it's been particularly electric all season, honestly. My son and I have positioned ourselves a little closer to centre this season in order to be more directly engaged with the singing but have often found very few around us to be joining in with chants.

Yesterday, there was a fairly contented buzz of conversation going on for most of the game, almost as though we were had all turned up at Old Trafford to observe the expected home victory. Very little meaningful support pretty much all game.

• I thought it was even quieter than normal on the terrace but it's not really a surprising if all the stuff reported above was going on. The terrace seems to be turning in to a Greatest Showman style mix of characters who don't seem in any way united by a team top of the league whilst showing humility that these morons could learn from

• I'd also agree that the atmosphere was poor yesterday. It's definitely not helped by matches where we kick towards the home end first half. We normally start a bit quiet but then the noise levels really pick up second half as the team are attacking towards us - this was missing yesterday.

Like it or not, this is definitely an area where we can learn from the Couhigs. Anyone who has been to US sporting events will know that they are masters at whipping the crowd up.

• Is it just me or have the stands been more covered in bird shit than normal lately? Seems like it doesn't get cleaned up.

• One does despair of some of one’s fellow “fans” doesn’t one!
    I enjoyed the game yesterday (as I normally do) and left on a high. Hyever (MO’N speak), I am not sure to what extent Burton’s woeful finishing was down to sheer ineptitude on their part rather than our customary defensive resilience. For me the result was slightly unexpected as, from what I’d heard and read about Burton, I thought a draw was the most likely outcome. From the way their all time record EFL goal scorer (Lucas Akins) was deployed, I suspect they may be somewhat “depleted” at present. Equally of course, we were without two of our key (virtually ever-present) players but credit is due to their understudies - Nnamdi Ofobohr and Sido - who both performed their defensive duties very effectively.

As someone has already said, a contract extension for Darius Charles is an absolute no-brainer of course and if ever there was an early candidate for Player of the Year he is that man. His successful organisation over the last few days of an on-line fund-raising effort aimed at providing a free copy of an uplifting children’s book to (I assume) young children in hospital at Christmas is yet another reason for our admiration.

On the subject of “depletion” I’ve had another look at their line-up yesterday and it doesn’t seem to be unduly below strength. The number 18 (Richard Nartey) who wrestled and climbed all over Alex Samuel is on loan from Chelsea. He it was who failed to clear the cross from ? Alex Pattison for Bloomfield’s winner.

They are unlikely to be depleted on the goalkeeping front. They have six!

• Without meaning to be negative, I might have gone lower for Allsop and Aarons. In the former case, only because he didn't do anything meaningful! In the latter case, I saw very little that was positive and a good amount that was negative. Would find it hard to go above 5 at best.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I thought it was even quieter than normal on the terrace but it's not really a surprising if all the stuff reported above was going on. The terrace seems to be turning in to a Greatest Showman style mix of characters who don't seem in any way united by a team top of the league whilst showing humility that these morons could learn from

Man who constantly criticises own club's supporters (including that very post) has a go at them for not being united!!

You couldn't make it up!!

• @HCblue said:

Without meaning to be negative, I might have gone lower for Allsop and Aarons. In the former case, only because he didn't do anything meaningful! In the latter case, I saw very little that was positive and a good amount that was negative. Would find it hard to go above 5 at best.

I did have both a smidge lower originally, I'm still trying to work out a suitable 'base' rating. It's trickier with goalkeepers on quiet days - that's when you start having to look at other things and maybe giving them more weight. I'm sure I'll get there in time!

• Has no-one mentioned Neil Hair yet or does he have his own thread? I thought he was one of the most inept refs this season. Or perhaps it was just my own perception.

• Watched the game with a Derby County regular fan, his first time at AP. Interesting to get an objective view on our team from someone who watches football at the level we aspire to. His take: the Bournemouth lad (I still can’t spell his name without looking it up ) and Wheeler are Championship standard, we need a creative mid field playmaker to play through to survive at that level. What a wonderful conversation to be having with a neutral about our future.
    For me Sido did really well, v little game time and frankly v poor cover from Arrons, of course having Tools and Darius inside you doesn’t half help.

On to the PLU, whose bubble seems to have bust at just the right time. Have to listen to the usually deluded BBC radio Oxford on the way home, their analysis team ( which is comprehensive, dedicated and in-depth by the way - so different from what we get from 3CR) was talking about throwing the mid week Man City game to save the legs of their first choice if they were to get anything out of Wycombe. They then got distracted with a conversation about , surprise surprise, why this isn’t a derby rivalry- yawn.

• @perfidious_albion It might be perfectly sensible for the PNL to throw the City game in favour of the League game, but the chances of them doing so are, fortunately for us, precisely nil. The players will feel emotionally that this is one of the biggest games of their professional lives. There is the chance of legendary status should they win as a team or individually score. Cool, rational calculation goes out the window in such circumstances.

• PNL of course, damn auto correct!
    Radio Oxford were I think suggesting selecting a less than full strength team vs City!

• @micra said:
    Has no-one mentioned Neil Hair yet or does he have his own thread? I thought he was one of the most inept refs this season. Or perhaps it was just my own perception.

That's some title @micra he was poor but not the worst by a long way.

Hopefully Poxford put a strong side out against city and get humiliated by their reserves.

• Oxford can’t field a full strength team in either game, their midfield is ravaged by injury.

• I’ve just read that Nigel Clough claimed ‘Burton controlled the game’.
    He has been a league manager for 21 years.
    It’s taking him a while to work out that if you ‘control the game’ you don’t loose 2-0!

• @prufrock_91 said:

On a separate point, I was stood behind the most annoying guy I've ever been near at AP in a long time. Back left behind the goal - provided just a nonsensically angry running commentary the whole time.

You're going to have to narrow that down!

• I echo @perfidious_albion praise for Sido Jombati. First league appearance of the season and he hardly put a foot wrong.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    I’ve just read that Nigel Clough claimed ‘Burton controlled the game’.
    He has been a league manager for 21 years.
    It’s taking him a while to work out that if you ‘control the game’ you don’t loose 2-0!

I think there's a misconception that you can only control the game with the ball. Not true, as we're seeing with our own eyes at the moment.

• edited December 2019

Also, David Wheeler's ball to Alex Pattison was one of the balls of the season. The vision to see the potential opening, the determination to get to the loose ball, then to play it first time almost behind himself like that... Sublime.

• David Wheeler has been one of my favourite players this season, doesn't often do anything that makes your jaw drop, but just fantastically consistent. If you look at highlights of his outstanding run of goals at Exeter, they're 80% tap ins - he showed that yesterday, being in the right place at the right time. His intelligence, as shown on Twitter which isn't just confined to football, is immense.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    David Wheeler has been one of my favourite players this season, doesn't often do anything that makes your jaw drop, but just fantastically consistent. If you look at highlights of his outstanding run of goals at Exeter, they're 80% tap ins - he showed that yesterday, being in the right place at the right time. His intelligence, as shown on Twitter which isn't just confined to football, is immense.

Agreed, watching Bayos insta feed on Friday morning David looked v down at the previous days events, seems to have channelled his disbelief into a great performance yesterday.

• Just watched our second goal on repeat.
    Sums up the season so far: Sublime to the ridiculous.
    Bayo looses a 50:50.
    Falls to Wheeler who plays a Premier League pass. Blooms, not reading the game to the same level, thinking it’s his yet fails to reach it.
    Alex P the intended recipient, low on confidence, puts a hopeful cross in, which if it reaches Scotty K, who went too early, would have been off side for the tap in.
    Weak tired defensive clearance falls to Blooms who ,out on his feet, is following up on instinct for the tap in.
    GOAL, thank you and good night.
    The gods are with us.

• Looked like he was trying to reach Kashket on the far side but was diverted to Blooms, who had a fair few efforts on the day

• Who did blooms score against last season?

• Peterborough away in his 500th career appearance

• Oh, and away to Plymouth!

• Didnt Blooms also score on the final day last season? Or was that the year we went up fro lg 2?

Great for him to wrap it up yesterday and for the entire team to get involved in the celebrations.

I though the midfield once again provided an excellent defensive platform in the centre of the pitch and made it very hard for Burton to get at the defence. Great to see the whole team putting in tackles and fighting for every single ball once again. I think it says a lot that although Aarons didnt do a great deal with the ball and might be considered a 'luxury' player, he was still sprinting back to provide a crucial block when they got behind Sido second half. That desire to reach every ball and give nothing away cheaply has become infectious.

During Gaz's tenure we have often had streaky form but the current run must be the most impressive throughout that time. It will be interesting to see how the team react when we do eventually suffer a couple of defeats. The way the side seems to be working together right now I imagine they will bounce back even stronger.

• edited December 2019

That was the season we went up - and I think he scored his only goal of another season on the final day, when he'd only played 15 games or something? Even scored in the one he missed almost all of due to injury. It's a pretty impressive record for a more 'combative' midfielder.