Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Anthony Stewart has provided more assists this season than Aiden McGeady.

Blah, blah,blah. Stat, stat, stat

Anthony Stewart gives more to his team and supporters than Aiden McGeady in every single area I could possibly think of. Anyone else think Steven Quinn 'phoned in' a performance today?

• edited December 2019

Alright, just sharing as I thought it was interesting. CBs aren't renowned for assists, especially not the kind he comes up with - all proper ones, especially the ones against Bolton and Rotherham. Still, just one part of an amazing all-round season for him.

• Contract extension until the end of the season imminent surely

And made more tackles?

Contract extension until the end of the season imminent surely

Really? He's only on a half season deal? If that's so, it's a no brainer, right? Assuming he doesn't get injured in the next three games.

• edited December 2019

No actually, one fewer than McGeady - but you wouldn't expect CBs to rank that highly on tackles, especially not ours who are so ruthlessly organised.

No actually, one fewer than McGeady - but you wouldn't expect CBs to rank that highly on tackles, especially not ours who are so ruthlessly organised.

Then might it not be reasonable to take the assists stat as not significantly indicative of performance by either player?

You mean Charles right?

The subject was Stewart just before hand

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Blah, blah,blah. Stat, stat, stat

Anthony Stewart gives more to his team and supporters than Aiden McGeady in every single area I could possibly think of. Anyone else think Steven Quinn 'phoned in' a performance today?

Why be so rude to a fellow supporter on such a great day for the club? Have a word with yourself

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

You mean Charles right?

I did - but why not give Stewart another three years?!

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

You mean Charles right?

I think he does. I edited my post about Charles because I missed a word out...and now it's disappeared so nothing makes sense!

• @HCblue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Then might it not be reasonable to take the assists stat as not significantly indicative of performance by either player?

I wasn't reading that much into it really, just thought it seemed like a high number for a CB (and it is, only one has more this season) and McGeady is a player who should be tearing up this division and creating.

• @HCblue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Of course it's a silly comparison but you'd surely expect an international winger on 30k a week to have attempted and completed way more crosses than a L1 CB signed on a free, but then if McGeady was anything like at his best he wouldn't still be there.

• edited December 2019

@drcongo said:

Also, I believe I owe you a tenner.

Really? Why?

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

You mean Charles right?

I think he does. I edited my post about Charles because I missed a word out...and now it's disappeared so nothing makes sense!

Ah, explained!

It reads oddly otherwise!

@HCblue said:

I wasn't reading that much into it really, just thought it seemed like a high number for a CB (and it is, only one has more this season) and McGeady is a player who should be tearing up this division and creating.

@StrongestTeam said:

Of course it's a silly comparison but you'd surely expect an international winger on 30k a week to have attempted and completed way more crosses than a L1 CB signed on a free, but then if McGeady was anything like at his best he wouldn't still be there.

A light-hearted observation. I'm delighted with everything and a fan of statistical analysis. Simply testing what might properly be indicated by this particular observation.

• @OakwoodExile said:

@drcongo said:

Also, I believe I owe you a tenner.

Really? Why?

We had a wager at the last London meet up that I have since comprehensively lost.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    A shout out to Alex Pattison, for squaring the ball for the second goal instead of shooting. I know it could be argued as a lack of confidence, but to me it just seemed like looking for the best option. That kind of unselfishness is a sign of a team that is unified, and just wants the three points more than individual success.

I'd have to see it again, but it looked a poor pass didn't it?
    Came back to Bloomfield through luck rather than judgement?

I was praising the unselfish intent rather than the execution. If he meant it to ricochet out to Bloomers, he is a genius! I was pointing it out just as a sign that we have a squad willing to put their egos aside.

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:
    A shout out to Alex Pattison, for squaring the ball for the second goal instead of shooting. I know it could be argued as a lack of confidence, but to me it just seemed like looking for the best option. That kind of unselfishness is a sign of a team that is unified, and just wants the three points more than individual success.

I'd have to see it again, but it looked a poor pass didn't it?
    Came back to Bloomfield through luck rather than judgement?

I was praising the unselfish intent rather than the execution. If he meant it to ricochet out to Bloomers, he is a genius! I was pointing it out just as a sign that we have a squad willing to put their egos aside.

I think you're right in principle but I'd put this down to a lack of clinical finishing.

• Loads of new seats in the Family Stand! Go Couhigs!

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Six clean sheets equals all-time record.

I have a question for anyone with access to the relevant stats from those non-league days: seeing as the six clean sheets in a row ties the all time record, does anyone have a way of finding out the record to the minute? We have not conceded since the 51st minute against Blackpool away, which is 6 x 90 + 39 = 579 minutes. It would be interesting to see how close we are to the record in minutes - or maybe only interesting to me!

• It won’t go down as a classic but it’s great to get straight back to winning after the break. Scotty K and Bayo were inches away from a couple more if the ball had run in their favour.

Spent the trip back to Buckingham singing the “it’s Wheeler” Tequila song

• Defensively we really are fantastic at the moment, if a team even manages to get a clean shot away we are more than capable of some last-ditch stuff.

Looked pretty dangerous on the break too, but would like to see us try a little bit harder to keep the ball in midfield. Aside from Oforborh, who needs to work on the pace of his passing, we treated the ball like an unexploded bomb for the most part. Pattison did bring some composure there when he came on though.

On a separate point, I was stood behind the most annoying guy I've ever been near at AP in a long time. Back left behind the goal - provided just a nonsensically angry running commentary the whole time.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Defensively we really are fantastic at the moment, if a team even manages to get a clean shot away we are more than capable of some last-ditch stuff.

Looked pretty dangerous on the break too, but would like to see us try a little bit harder to keep the ball in midfield. Aside from Oforborh, who needs to work on the pace of his passing, we treated the ball like an unexploded bomb for the most part. Pattison did bring some composure there when he came on though.

On a separate point, I was stood behind the most annoying guy I've ever been near at AP in a long time. Back left behind the goal - provided just a nonsensically angry running commentary the whole time.

Hell is other people

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Defensively we really are fantastic at the moment, if a team even manages to get a clean shot away we are more than capable of some last-ditch stuff.

Burton had 11 shots yesterday. 1 more than ourselves.

• @thecatwwfc said:

Burton had 11 shots yesterday. 1 more than ourselves.

True, but they were all from outside the box and, with one exception, struck while under pressure. You should look at the shots on target for both the Ipswich and Burton games.

• @prufrock_91 said:

I know of whom you speak. Foul mouthed semi-literate tosser. Never seen him before, hope never to again. This type of support, we can definitely do without. Unfortunately I think the father who brought his young daughter onto the terrace in the second half and stood close (enough) to him will be regretting that decision.

• Interestingly at the same place on the terrace is a little old man who has been there in the same place for years. I have never heard him once shout any support for our team. Stock phrases are ‘sort it out Ainsworth’ ‘wake up Wycombe’ ‘get it on the deck’ etc. I often wonder why he comes at all.

• edited December 2019

I was stood on the same side of the terrace (assuming you mean the side nearest the turnstiles) and one guy was shouting "fat c***" intermittently for most of the game - at who, I don't know. Also one or two mocking Scott Kashket's lisp, which was just plain weird and horrible. Atmosphere was also poor in there, not helped by the infamous drum.