Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Lucas Akins (No. 10) is Burton’s all-time leading goalscorer in the EFL and has been their Player of the Year for the past two seasons. I assumed he was covering in defence at least in the first half today because of injuries to their regular defenders.

Apart from his niggledyness I thought Stephen Quinn (No. 7) looked a class apart. He’s 33 now and I expect his international career has ended but, according to the programme notes, he has been capped 18 times for the Republic of Ireland.

• @HCblue said:
    PS. Saw you at half time, @EwanHoosaami, but didn't disturb you as you were engrossed in conversation.

The interruption would not have been unwelcome amigo. Was chatting to an old mate of mine who used to come to every home game but work has interrupted his visits down to none for the last 3/4 seasons. My mate contacted me during the week to state his desire to watch this game & sit near me. I was trying to "re-sell" the club to him, showing him the Chairboys village and the general improvements in match day experience at the time. His conclusion was that it was a much improved atmosphere around the club, enjoyed the pre match pint, ticket purchase system & music. As for the team, he couldn't believe that there was still a nucleus of the players still here, how solid the back line are and whilst not an exuberant style on the field, overall much better than his last visits here.
    A good sign was that he was asking about travelling to Pompey and attending the home game against Ipswich. We could have added another one to the regular home support? Small steps in the right direction. Maybe see you early in the new year?

• Yeah, Quinn has a lot of PL and Championship experience - and started the 2014 FA Cup final for Hull.

• 5 games or not 5 games? Who really cares. Three points up for grabs in every one from now until May and this group of players are proving time and time again they are up to every challenge and not phased by who they are up against.

• I think the good @drcongo posted similarly a few weeks ago. I have never enjoyed watching defending the way I enjoy watching this team defend.

• Taking the thread away from a Sunderland discussion I thought today was a great performance. Some around me moaned and complained through much if it but I've got a message for those. We are probably the most organised team defensively in the league and the shape that needs means we are not going to be a free flowing side every week.

If you want that it's probably best to shut your eyes for a while as the players put a defensive masterclass week after week. For me it's been a pleasure to watch. Special mention today for Sido who always gives me kittens but slotted in well today with Aaron's in front of him.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@HCblue said:
    PS. Saw you at half time, @EwanHoosaami, but didn't disturb you as you were engrossed in conversation.

The interruption would not have been unwelcome amigo. Was chatting to an old mate of mine who used to come to every home game but work has interrupted his visits down to none for the last 3/4 seasons. My mate contacted me during the week to state his desire to watch this game & sit near me. I was trying to "re-sell" the club to him, showing him the Chairboys village and the general improvements in match day experience at the time. His conclusion was that it was a much improved atmosphere around the club, enjoyed the pre match pint, ticket purchase system & music. As for the team, he couldn't believe that there was still a nucleus of the players still here, how solid the back line are and whilst not an exuberant style on the field, overall much better than his last visits here.
    A good sign was that he was asking about travelling to Pompey and attending the home game against Ipswich. We could have added another one to the regular home support? Small steps in the right direction. Maybe see you early in the new year?

I'll be less hesitant to intrude next time.

• edited December 2019

I don't know how Ofoborh hooked that one away when it seemed to come to a standstill in the six-yard box and he looked at completely the wrong angle to it. Another excellent performance from a player I'd love to see nail down a regular place in the midfield. For starters, his range of passing is superb.

• Bookies finally have some faith in us - 5/2 favourites to win the league now on Skybet compared to 25/1 at the start of November

• I thought it was a good performance against a very good footballing side. I was expecting my predicted draw for much of the second half but our defending was excellent. Terrible keeper gets another clean sheet! Why Curtis was messing about holding up the free kick and squaring up in the first place I don't know but quinn's theatrical reaction was shameful. Thommo then had an excellent game even on a yellow. I thought Aaron's looked quite a handful today as well. All in all not a great game but three points!

• Rocky made one save according the stats. I'm struggling to remember it. I feel a bit sorry for him tbh, rarely has anything to do with the absolute wall in front of him.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought Aaron's looked quite a handful today as well. All in all not a great game but three points!

Aaron's what looked a handful?

More seriously, I thought he was very poor. Lost the ball cheaply many times, created nothing of note and made no meaningful defensive contribution.

• I’m still not convinced by Rolando Aarons.
    He seems too preoccupied with trying to beat two or three opponents at a time with his trickery and, as often as not, loses the ball. He seems lightweight against the physicality of most League 1 teams.

• You are not wrong Micra. Aarons was indeed, pretty poor today. Smyth should replace him for the Oxford game.

• A shout out to Alex Pattison, for squaring the ball for the second goal instead of shooting. I know it could be argued as a lack of confidence, but to me it just seemed like looking for the best option. That kind of unselfishness is a sign of a team that is unified, and just wants the three points more than individual success.

• There was a really tame shot on our goal early in the second half which Rocky dived/lay slowly down to save. Nmandi was attracting a few groans from fans around me when the passes went astray, but I agree that he had a good game. He came and he gave without taking.

Not a scintillating performance from the team, but a decent enough one. And amazing to see us 7 points clear. Amazing.

• edited December 2019

Aarons is a Championship-quality player, but things just haven't worked out for him here yet. I feel he needs a proper run in the side to really get into his stride - that was only his fourth league start - but he's still not doing enough to justify it when he is playing at the moment. I was surprised to see Smyth left out today.

• I did a bit of a double take at this, but we've kept clean sheets in 6/9 away games.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I think the good @drcongo posted similarly a few weeks ago. I have never enjoyed watching defending the way I enjoy watching this team defend.

I did. Also, I believe I owe you a tenner.

• Not the best of games but who cares. Was more annoyed at the cold, can't believe the Couhigs haven't sorted that out yet. Very impressive efforts and performance, they certainly came at us at times.
    Thought Blooms was tiring and misplacing passed towards the end and then he pops one in. Legend.
    Jury out on Aarons, think it's reasonable to expect a bit more from him if he really thinks he belongs at a higher level. Plenty of options and competition all over the pitch.

• I think Ofoborh is going to be a top class player and would love to see him here next season if we go up. Aarons for me is all show and no substance and on his performances for us to date is well short of Fred and Smyth.

• This season is clearly ridiculous but even within it we are witnessing one of the greatest stories to ever unfold.

The performance of Darius Charles and the story behind it should be made into a film. I've never seen anything like it. Has there ever been a more likeable player?

Honestly, this is once in a lifetime stuff

• @Shev said:
    A shout out to Alex Pattison, for squaring the ball for the second goal instead of shooting. I know it could be argued as a lack of confidence, but to me it just seemed like looking for the best option. That kind of unselfishness is a sign of a team that is unified, and just wants the three points more than individual success.

I'd have to see it again, but it looked a poor pass didn't it?
    Came back to Bloomfield through luck rather than judgement?

• @micra said:
    I’m still not convinced by Rolando Aarons.
    He seems too preoccupied with trying to beat two or three opponents at a time with his trickery and, as often as not, loses the ball. He seems lightweight against the physicality of most League 1 teams.

I'm starting to think the same.

We all "Know" that he should be the team's star man, but at times it looks like he can't control the ball and isn't the pacy winger who burns someone down the wing, instead trying trickery from a stop position, that more often than not is fairly easily stalled.

He does need an uninterrupted run of games though, but there's tonnes of competition here.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    5 games or not 5 games? Who really cares. Three points up for grabs in every one from now until May and this group of players are proving time and time again they are up to every challenge and not phased by who they are up against.

It's a tough 5 games, yes but everyone has to play everyone so surely it doesn't matter when we play them? Just means that our 20 or so games after this will be "easy"

• edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    Aarons is a Championship-quality player

What a positive outlook for us because if Aaron's is really Championship class the rest of our squad will have no problems.

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    5 games or not 5 games? Who really cares. Three points up for grabs in every one from now until May and this group of players are proving time and time again they are up to every challenge and not phased by who they are up against.

It's a tough 5 games, yes but everyone has to play everyone so surely it doesn't matter when we play them? Just means that our 20 or so games after this will be "easy"

This is one of those myths like the one about luck "evening out" over the season.

When you play your games can make a massive difference.
    Bolton in their massive mess on day 1 for instance.

We play Coventry 3 day after we play Portsmouth away.

Coventry meanwhile will have had a rest from the weekend, no fixture on Boxing day.

Seeing as I'm still Frozen from the game today can I just ask you to 'Let it go' on this frankly pointless debate.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

This is one of those myths like the one about luck "evening out" over the season.

When you play your games can make a massive difference.
    Bolton in their massive mess on day 1 for instance.

We play Coventry 3 day after we play Portsmouth away.

Coventry meanwhile will have had a rest from the weekend, no fixture on Boxing day.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Aarons is a Championship-quality player

What a positive outlook for us because if Aaron's is really Championship class the rest of our squad will gave no problems.

He proved it in his time at Sheffield Wednesday, he's just not quite settled in here.

• Anthony Stewart has provided more assists this season than Aiden McGeady.