Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• BSEBSE
    edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral great work again Tom

• Excellent, thank you Tom.

• edited December 2019

I probably shouldn't say this, but we're unbeaten on this date as a Football League club (W3, D1).

• A pretty uncontroversial article, Shows TS's relief at the transfer going through, RC's desire to advance and GA's classic downplaying of our chances.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/wycombe-wanderers-could-steal-march-3633921

COYB!

• Grimmer and Gape with knocks presumably, but I love to see Ofoborh in there.

• Yep. Aarons in for Smyth seems an odd one but maybe done with the busy period in mind.
  • Interesting lineup! Very physical against a free flowing side. Wear them out to 70 minutes, and then unleash the Beast, Freeman and Smyth/Kashket?

Mind you, our top scorer is on the field at left back...

• Wheeler is due another, too.

• Where the bloody hell is Fred????

• Still on his way back from injury

• Ipswich 0 Rovers 2.

• @Shev said:
    Wheeler is due another, too.

Can I have the lottery numbers please?

• Ha ha. With great power comes great responsibility...

• I like the idea of the "we are staying up" chant...

• What a set of results this has been today!

• Looked like a team that have just had a break, but we went and got just the result we needed after it. On we go to Oxford! I can't wait.

• Who went down to McDons without having a shot on target I heard, roll on next week

• Got through that fairly comfortably, without Gape and Grimmer.

Near perfect set of results elsewhere again!

Hopefully Fred is at least out on "the grass" again, as managers like to say.

Now we enter a real tough 5 game run.

• It's only 4 games now.

• It certainly wasn't a classic game today but if we can keep things right at the back it's always going to only take 1 or 2 goals to win a match.
    And thats what we did today, score from a set piece again (I assume Wheelers goal counts as such), then finally a goal from open play when they are pushing on at the end.
    Several important blocks and tackles second half in and around our box from Charles, Stewart, Ofaborh (I just love his enthusiasm, even if he makes a few mistakes at times), Bloomfield, Thompson and others. Everyone is really putting in a full shift for the team each game - it's a joy to watch a team defend with such relish.
    Getting the win was much more important than the overall performance today after the 2 week break, so we did what we had to do.
    Winning is a good habit, especially when you don't play particularly well. Roll on Oxford ...

• edited December 2019

First home goal from open play since August (excluding the Peterborough OG - which, typically, came after the move of the season)

• edited December 2019

Interesting game. Found it quite enjoyable despite it not being of the highest quality for long periods. Their number 11 was dynamite - very glad to see him taken off in second half - and their number 7 was a so-and-so. Tried to get Thompson sent off and then showed the clearest possible dissent to the referee a number of times. Lucky boy not to be sent off.

THought we were OK. The midfield buzzed furiously and stopped a lot of traffic. Thought Gareth's change to 4-4-2 in second half was spot on and helped deal with the much improved Burton play in that half. Nice finish by Wheeler and lovely pass by him leading to the second goal. Stewart and Charles solid, again. Nothing of note for Ryan to do, again. Prosaic win, again. Aarons very disappointing for my money.

PS. Saw you at half time, @EwanHoosaami, but didn't disturb you as you were engrossed in conversation.

• We are grinding out the results and that is promotion form! Solid display today without being spectacular. Blooms easily my MOM today - he ran his heart out today and his goal was his just reward. Looks like the enforced break has done us the world of good. Fantastic with Ipswich, Cov and Oxford all losing today. We are in dream land.
    Looking forward to watching City give Oxford a footballing lesson on Wednesday night, followed by us doing the same to then on Saturday. Can’t wait wait for the game at le stade de trois côtés - they are there for the taking, with 1800 Chairpersons roaring us on. COYB.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It's only 4 games now.

I wasn't including Peterboro. And I'd still count Portsmouth away as a tough game, wouldn't you?

• @HCblue said:
    Interesting game. Found it quite enjoyable despite it not being of the highest quality for long periods. Their number 11 was dynamite - very glad to see him taken off in second half - and their number 7 was a so-and-so. Tried to get Thompson sent off and then showed the clearest possible dissent to the referee a number of times. Lucky boy not to be sent off.

THought we were OK. The midfield buzzed furiously and stopped a lot of traffic. Thought Gareth's change to 4-4-2 in second half was spot on and helped deal with the much improved Burton play in that half. Nice finish by Wheeler and lovely pass by him leading to the second goal. Stewart and Charles solid, again. Nothing of note for Ryan to do, again. Prosaic win, again. Aarons very disappointing for my money.

PS. Saw you at half time, @EwanHoosaami, but didn't disturb you as you were engrossed in conversation.

I found their number 10 the most interesting.

Starting the game at right back, and it being clear immediately he was a bit different to usual right backs!
    Then in the second half popping up all over the place in the attacking positions.

The had a flurry of corners they played to him short as well, all wasted. Bizarre, but different.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    It's only 4 games now.

I wasn't including Peterboro. And I'd still count Portsmouth away as a tough game, wouldn't you?

Oxford, Pompey, Coventry, Ipswich. Isn't that it before the next gap in fixtures? I assume we're not counting Sunderland as tough ?

• That was Lucas Akins at RB - RW or striker but can play there if necessary. John Brayford - long-haired guy who came on - is their regular RB but has been injured. I thought Akins was one of their better players, as he so often is.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    It's only 4 games now.

Oxford, Pompey, Coventry, Ipswich. Isn't that it before the next gap in fixtures? I assume we're not counting Sunderland as tough ?

I just said next 5 in fairness, not over a certain timescale.

Sunderland would be good to play now, not in 5 games, as it sounds on their forum like the pressure might be rampig up to a parting of ways soon!

• I think the problems there run much deeper than the manager. I suppose if Parkinson does go and they have to pay him off, they might not have anything to spend in January?