Skip to content

Keeping Politics out

Does this mean Rob will be demanding we all register to vote for Trump as a Democrat victory will mean the end of Wycombe Wanderers?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/dec/11/fleetwood-chairman-vote-labour-doomed-andy-pilley

Comments

• edited December 2019

I disagree that sport and politics shouldn't mix - they naturally do - but Tweeting your support for a party/candidate from the official club account - as the Fleetwood chairman did - is a bit iffy to say the least.

• Looking at some of the names on fleetwoods books suggests he's not a guy who cares too much for decency

• An oppressive Labour government might force him to take Fleetwood abroad... :wink:

• Looking into my crystal ball, I foresee voters of all persuasions complaining loudly about the other side being the root of all evil, by the time the next election rolls around. And the next one. And the one after that.

• @Shev said:
    Looking into my crystal ball, I foresee voters of all persuasions complaining loudly about the other side being the root of all evil, by the time the next election rolls around. And the next one. And the one after that.

But Shev, they are. They Are!

• Big shock that, multi millionaire wants the Tories in power.

Anyone voting for Boris and his group of compulsive liars this time round should be ashamed of themselves (or eventually really angry that they've been subjected to and fallen for a sustained and insidious campaign of lies).

• Not my constituency but I was surprised to read Mr Baker might have a fight on his hands. We've got an ex-C5 news presenter Brexiter looking to replace Lidington.

• Hasn't it been proven that all the parties have lied alot? I'm voting on who can sing and dance best using a mobile app.

• Where is the real Monster Raving Loony Party?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Hasn't it been proven that all the parties have lied alot? I'm voting on who can sing and dance best using a mobile app.

Looking specifically at social media ads, 88% of Tory ads were lies, 0 on the other side.

The entire Tory campaign was based on a tag line which was a lie, with widespread and organised misinformation and smear campaigns (Inc bots) directly from Tory members and donors, it really is frightening. The line you use "they all lie" is exactly playing into the Trumpian tactics to get the general public to just not believe anything, apart from of course what the fuhrer wants them to.

Don't get me wrong there's definitely been dirty tactics from the other parties too (Greens aside), but it is not a level playing field.

• There is much made that one leader, unsuited by his long-held principles for any sort of leadership role, struggles to articulate a position on a very complex issue whereas the other one...like it or not...presents a clear stance. The problem being is it far easier when you have absolutely no actual interest in, or knowledge of substantive matters and hold a barely concealed contempt for business, the Union or the mass of the electorate to simplify things for the oiks, make jokes and tell barefaced lies. It's a hell of a choice!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Hasn't it been proven that all the parties have lied alot? I'm voting on who can sing and dance best using a mobile app.

If "all the parties" means the tories, then yeah. 88% of Conservative party facebook ads failed a fact check compared to 0% of Labour's.

• Or what @Username said.

• I can honestly say not one political ad from any party has appeared in my timeline. Not sure what I've done to miss out.

I am guessing I am discussing this with two people who have a firm idea of how they vote based on the posts. I wouldn't consider myself to be that definate so maybe that is why I have a different view. It becoming increasingly difficult on social media to see all sides with such targeted marketing.

My view is its easier to call out the lies of the party in power but I'm going to stick with my view they all lie.

• If it helps you decide at all, two of the main parties were responsible for a genocidal set of policies that have decimated public services and led to the deaths of tens of thousands of their own citizens.

The other one wasn't.

• We are plumbing new lows of dignity, honour and truth in politics across the world. It would be nice if the great British public at least gave the nose of populism another tweak like we did in 2017 when a big majority was predicted but I fear the general agreement that them rich posh fellas knows best is creeping back in.

• @drcongo said:
    If it helps you decide at all, two of the main parties were responsible for a genocidal set of policies that have decimated public services and led to the deaths of tens of thousands of their own citizens.

The other one wasn't.

Or just hasn't had the chance to do an equally bad job? The language you use the describe your point is the very reason I hate the current political situation. Calling this 'genocidal' might have some factual basis on the numbers it is very incendiary and ignores lots of other factors in this mess.

Making everything the opposite side do the worst thing ever doesn't help or interest swing voters like me. It could be seen as lying in a wider context and all sides are guilty of it in their extreme ends

• edited December 2019

It's a good job we've made all those bankers, traders and city financiers pay for the mess they got us into all those years ago. Even more pleased that none of them are serving in the present government.

• I'm not sure what other factors it's ignoring, nor do I really see what's incendiary about a fact.

If the other factors I'm ignoring are "well they had to pay for the global financial crisis" - which is what they want you to answer - they could have paid for that several times over if they hadn't ramped up tax breaks for the super-rich massively increasing the gap between the 1% and everyone else.

• edited December 2019

@Wendoverman ...

"I can't think of any other politician, even Conservative politician, who from the crash of 2008 onwards actually stuck up for the bankers.

"Can you think of anybody who stuck up for the bankers as much as I did? I defended them day in, day out, from those who frankly wanted to hang them from the nearest lamppost."

Boris Johnson in June this year.

• @drcongo said:
    I'm not sure what other factors it's ignoring, nor do I really see what's incendiary about a fact.

If the other factors I'm ignoring are "well they had to pay for the global financial crisis" - which is what they want you to answer - they could have paid for that several times over if they hadn't ramped up tax breaks for the super-rich massively increasing the gap between the 1% and everyone else.

There are plenty of other factors and I don't nuy the one you mention anymore than you appear to. I was thinking about public sector structural issues, cival servants who sit across multiple Governments and NHS managers who are nominally outside of the political cycle.

Doubling the funding just creates profit for suppliers and outsourced services. The botched IT upgrade means inefficiencies are huge.

I don't all of that sitting with any political party in totality. They are a factor but no one would ever know whst would happen if a Sliding Doors moment would have occurred.

• @drcongo those poor wealth creators...if we over-tax them they'll leave the country. It's not like they'll all leg it to France and Germany (or Singapore if you are a Brexiter hoover magnet who wants to pay slave wages and still have access to the EU market) after Brexit if someone waves a chequebook at them.

• Oh dear...we need a game FAST!

• @Right_in_the_Middle Even to take your points and call those contributing factors, the thing I take issue with is that the coalition government had a choice between paying it off through tax reform, or paying it off by killing the elderly and most vulnerable in society. They made a specific choice, and they went with option b.

• Burton is going to be a real challenge

• Doubt it - I think Andrew Griffiths is widely expected to hold it.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Doubt it - I think Andrew Griffiths is widely expected to hold it.

Tough one for him to win after he stepped down apparently a newspaper reported that he sent 2000 er.. texts

• I have heard that Burton's left winger and right winger are both dirty liars...

• Their left-winger's name (David Templeton) does have a politician ring to it.

• edited December 2019

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I am guessing I am discussing this with two people who have a firm idea of how they vote based on the posts. I wouldn't consider myself to be that definate so maybe that is why I have a different view. It becoming increasingly difficult on social media to see all sides with such targeted marketing.

I'm not affiliated to any party, haven't voted labour in the last few votes, but with the two party system and the current state of the a Tory party it was a no brainer for me this time

My view is its easier to call out the lies of the party in power but I'm going to stick with my view they all lie.

It is easier, and that's exactly part of the point of the Tory campaign of lies and smear, it benefits them for the electorate to mistrust everyone. Labour had 0 ads that failed fact check (one owned by a Tory). 88% of official conservative ads failed, that means almost everything unofficial will be complete bollocks as well. They're dragging the level of debate down just as Trump did in the USA.