Skip to content

Comments

• JJ but couldn't argue with Bayo or Bloomers either.

My outside shout would be Aaron Pierre.

• Bayo, for his conduct both on and off the pitch.

• Bayo, with more than honourable mentions for Bloomfield and Jacobson.

• Has to be Blooms.... hes actually been here for the whole of that decade ! Remarkable achievement

• On and off the pitch too, @HolmerBlue.

• edited December 2019

That’s easy.

Joint first would be Bloomfield and Ainsworth who have both been involved at the club for the past decade and who’s contribution is off the scale.

Joint third would be Jacobson and Akinfenwa.

Honourable mentions for Ingram, Stewart, Jombati, Scowen, Gape and a few others I can’t recall.

We have been blessed with so many great people and players over the last decade. Long may it continue

• edited December 2019

Interesting how different people interpret this. For me personally, off-field contribution doesn't come into it - someone could be an exceptional player but a complete arsehole (not that that would happen at Wycombe these days, obviously). Maybe that should be a separate award, 'Person of the Decade' or something.

• How Ainsworth can be considered Player of the Decade is a total mystery to me.

• Player of the Decade then?
    Is that the best player or the biggest contribution.

Best player - Jordan Ibe
    Biggest contribution - Bloomfield

• Bloomfield may have played the most games this decade but Bayo has to get the award for the biggest contribution to Wycombe's fortunes/success.

• @shimmeringleonknight said:
    Colin Daniel

Good shout!

• Bayo has been a superb signing, one you could argue against any signing since we joined the league.

However, he has only been with us for 1/3 of the decade.

Maybe someone with great stats skills, either @chairboyscentral or @ChasHarps could list the highest appearance makers/longest servers in this period?

JJ and Sido are into their 6th seasons?
    Blooms obviously across the 10 years

Many others with 5-6 year spells here in the last decade?

• @Malone I think you can do that on Transfermarkt, will have a look if I get a moment.

• Gareth Ainsworth

• Am I the only one who thinks this vote isn't a great idea? This whole team are giants among men who should be pictured on 30ft high banners hanging all along the high street in place of xmas decorations. I don't want to single any one player out.

• @drcongo said:
    Am I the only one who thinks this vote isn't a great idea? This whole team are giants among men who should be pictured on 30ft high banners hanging all along the high street in place of xmas decorations. I don't want to single any one player out.

I was thinking that shed opposite the station hasn't done much in, well, ever as far as I can tell. Why not paint a mural of this squad on it? Semi-serious suggestion.

• @drcongo said:
    Am I the only one who thinks this vote isn't a great idea? This whole team are giants among men who should be pictured on 30ft high banners hanging all along the high street in place of xmas decorations. I don't want to single any one player out.

If Bayo won, he has an immense talent for shifting the accolade onto the rest of his teammates.

• JJ Bloomfield Bayo for me

• @Malone said:
    Bayo has been a superb signing, one you could argue against any signing since we joined the league.

However, he has only been with us for 1/3 of the decade.

Maybe someone with great stats skills, either @chairboyscentral or @ChasHarps could list the highest appearance makers/longest servers in this period?

JJ and Sido are into their 6th seasons?
    Blooms obviously across the 10 years

Many others with 5-6 year spells here in the last decade?

Anthony Stewart has been in or around the first team since about 2011, apart from his single season away.

• @OxfordBlue has picked a mean Top 3, with Tools hammering (!) on the door...

• Bloomfield for me, but JJ, Bayo and Ainsworth all run him close.

• @NewburyWanderer well pointed out! I can't really blame that year in the wilderness/at Crewe either.

• Ingram
    McCarthy
    JJ
    Mawson
    Pierre
    Gape
    Thompson
    Eze
    Tyson
    Akinfenwa
    Ainsworth

Player of the decade: Akinfenwa

• @shimmeringleonknight said:
    Colin Daniel.

I wondered where that was coming from when I read it yesterday @shimmeringleonknight (and reflected on how poor my memory for ex players’ names had become) until I looked at the Burton line-up against Lincoln this afternoon and remembered that Colin Daniels was the guy whose goal against Bristol Rovers kept us in the Football League.

Great (if quirky!) shout and I hope we can rustle up a chant of “there’s only one Colin Daniel” at some point on Saturday. Might have to explain it to some of the younger elements!

• I saw someone suggest a round of applause in the 36th minute. He must have played us since then, though?

• edited December 2019

Bloomfield for me as he's been here through thick and thin and whatever his talents has always been up for it. Bayo a close second for being an inspirational, entertaining goal machine!

• I agree @Wendoverman Blooms for me with Bayo as close runner up.

• edited December 2019

@Wendoverman said:
    Bloomfield for me as he's been here through think and thin and whatever his talents has always been up for it. Bayo a close second for being an inspirational, entertaining goal machine!

People seem to underplay Bloomfield's pedigree and pigeon hole him as a mere workhorse.
    But you don't represent England at youth level, or be on the books of Ipswich (when they were a lot better than now!) by just working hard.

Written off for years, I can't remember the consensus on him being a definite starter since the Gormania days, but he's still starting now, for a top of league 1 team!

Imagine the pure scenes if he's starting in the championship next season!

• Peter Garland for me. Head and shoulders ...