Skip to content

Aarons

When does he go back? Beginning or end of January. Hasn't really had a chance yet for various reasons so would love to see him and Fred get a run of games.

Comments

• edited December 2019

13th Jan, but I think the loan will be extended - Newcastle won't need him back and he hasn't done enough for Championship clubs to take him for the rest of the season.

• Money might be better spent elsewhere, particularly if Fred and Smyth are fully fit. I think the
    player is overhyped and very injury prone.

• He's not overhyped - he's definitely a Championship level player - but just hasn't got going. If - and it seems a big if - he can stay fit, he'll have a big part to play for us.

• edited December 2019

Is he better now than Smyth or Fred though?

• No. I suppose the big question is how much money would be freed up - enough to be able to loan someone else in who'll contribute more than Aarons? He clearly is injury prone, but he might enjoy a two-month run without any problems and score a hatful.

• Such a shame that he can't stay fit.

Fully expect him to go to a Championship club on loan simply because of Ashley's reputation as a penny pincher

• I fully expect him to go to a Championship team in January. He did well at Sheffield Wednesday this year and plenty of teams will be after him and willing to pay 5k plus a week for his services.
    I would put Scotty and Fred in front of him at present with Paul on an equal footing.
    We have riches up front so diverting some wages in to defense would seem sensible at this stage.

• Who's to say we're paying 5K a week?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Who's to say we're paying 5K a week?

No one, that's he point. Plenty of teams will though

• Thing is, if he didn't end up with a Championship team in the summer, I don't think he's going to now. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep hold of him. Smyth going back to QPR is a bigger worry, although his long injury lay-off should count in our favour.

Who's to say we're paying 5K a week?

Everyone knows we pay 3k a week

• I thought Smyth was a season long loan. Or am I just getting deja vu about mentioning this before? I also suspect Aarons will stay.

• edited December 2019

He is, but there might be a recall clause - which they could activate but only in January. To be fair, QPR are doing quite well, but he has played a bit in the Championship and scored goals. I just worry because he's such a brilliant player and we instantly look more creative with him on the pitch.

• Definitely. I remain confident that they will both stay. Then again I'm confident I'll win the 50/50 every game...

Thing is, if he didn't end up with a Championship team in the summer, I don't think he's going to now. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep hold of him. Smyth going back to QPR is a bigger worry, although his long injury lay-off should count in our favour.

From what I heard, Aarons wasn’t on Newcastle’s loan list for most of the summer, they were expecting to name him in their squad for the year but ended up naming some kid from the youth team. By which point, the loan window was closed for Championship teams.

I’d guess he’ll be back at Wednesday when his loan here ends.

• They've got another Newcastle winger on loan at the moment actually, so maybe there's some kind of connection. Looks like they can loan in another three players as well. We'll see, but I wonder if they'd go for him again knowing how injury prone he is - he missed a chunk when he was with them last season.

• It's quite mind-boggling - our attacking options are so strong, that losing someone of Aaron's calibre isn't a big setback.

I don't think anyone would have called that in the summer...

• It would be a significant setback

We want as many options as we can

• @eric_plant said:
    It would be a significant setback

Perhaps I have been missing something. I know he's a good player and that and I hope he stays but I've not noticed him tearing up that many trees so I'm not sure his departure would necessarily be that significant.

• Just having quality players available raises standards even if they're not playing. Those who are in the side know they really have to perform if they want to stay in the side

I'd say it's working pretty well so far.

• I think losing Aarons won't be as much of s setback, but more of a new signing if he kicks on.

You'd have to say if he were to sell, he'd be worth £5/6million minimum. To have a player of that calibre on our books is quite something. You can tell from the minutes he has played that he is a class above this league.

...To be fair, QPR are doing quite well....

Did I dream the thread on here last week about GA going to QPR after they sacked Warburton because they were doing rubbish

• @bookertease said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    ...To be fair, QPR are doing quite well....

Did I dream the thread on here last week about GA going to QPR after they sacked Warburton because they were doing rubbish

That was in a parallel Gasroom.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I think losing Aarons won't be as much of s setback, but more of a new signing if he kicks on.

You'd have to say if he were to sell, he'd be worth £5/6million minimum. To have a player of that calibre on our books is quite something. You can tell from the minutes he has played that he is a class above this league.

I'm not sure that I've yet seen a player that is clearly superior to those around him.

• Two players spring readily to mind going back a bit @HCblue. Noel Ashford (AKA God) truly did appear to play at a different level. The other one was Simon Garner. Even in a pretty good Wycombe team and as his powers were waning he still seemed “clearly superior” in mind and deed (if not pace) to everyone else on the pitch.

• @HCblue said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    I think losing Aarons won't be as much of s setback, but more of a new signing if he kicks on.

I'm not sure that I've yet seen a player that is clearly superior to those around him.

No...perhaps I worded that incorrectly. In the glimpses I have seen, you can see that he has it in him to be a class above.

• @bookertease said:
    Two players spring readily to mind going back a bit @HCblue. Noel Ashford (AKA God) truly did appear to play at a different level. The other one was Simon Garner. Even in a pretty good Wycombe team and as his powers were waning he still seemed “clearly superior” in mind and deed (if not pace) to everyone else on the pitch.

I dare say that's so, @bookertease. I never saw either player play for Wycombe, though I think I remember Garner as a lethal CF for Blackburn on TV. My comment was intended to refer to Aarons rather than generally.