Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup

So Maidenhead won tonight in the B&B Cup. Leaves 12 teams. http://www.berks-bucksfa.com/cups-and-competitions/cups/2019-2020/senior-cup/fixtures

2nd round teams - WWFC, Maidenhead, Slough, Reading, Marlow, Beaconsfield Town, Hungerford, Aylesbury United, Didcot, Bracknell, Newport Pagnell, MK.

Do 4 teams get a further bye and then 8 play each other to then make it a final 8? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Weve got to win it this year to reach the magical Thirty.
    Perhaps have the 1848-51 USA 30 star flag below, the swan to mark the milestone ?

• 4 teams get a bye to R3. WWFC ,Franchise , Reading and the holders Slough.

• Thanks. Thought that was the case but wasn’t clear on the B&B website. Looked like we joined at the next round.

• For anyone interested here’s the round dates
    http://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/berks-bucksfa/files/articles/2019/june/county-cup-dates-adult.ashx?la=en

Looks like we’ll play the 3rd round/Quarter Final w/e 10th Jan so might mean a decent strength team as no game the previous weekend due to Peterborough/FA Cup.

• Out of interest, if we get to the semi/final, would the games be at a real busy time?

We could play the Checkatrade heavy rotation job, but could still be a real risk.

• edited December 2019

What's the prize money like in this competition? Without a reserve or youth team, it seems a bit pointless to enter without a decent financial incentive. Our squad is still small and we could do without extra games.

• The glory of getting our little chair hands on this beauty for the 30th time is all the incentive you should need.
    Has the final venue been announced ??

• Blimey @chairboyscentral , I know its a capitalist world these days but not everything is about money.

The B&B offers us the opportunity to give a little bit back to smaller clubs in the area, a nod to our past and a chance to give squad players a (vaguely) competitive game or two.

While it will be a low priority and sensible to have missed it in recent seasons when we had a very small squad, now the squad is a little bigger good that we are able to support it.

• This is the poster who was near gloating when we got knocked out of the FA Cup

• edited December 2019

• edited December 2019

@LX1 said:
    This is the poster who was near gloating when we got knocked out of the FA Cup

Was I? Or was I just making the point that it wasn't the end of the world? I don't see the value in a regional cup competition in which we'll have to risk members of the first team squad - our only squad. Maybe that's because I've grown up in a different era of football, I don't know.

• By the way, our squad is the same size as in 2017/18 and only two bigger than last season.

• listen, Gaz is not going to let a B&B trophy run interfere with our glorious procession to the title. If needs be he'll stick a Gasroom XI out against Beaconsfield in the semi final

(Martin O'Neill used to hate this competition by the way. His worst fears were realised when Keith Ryan did his cruciates against Chalfont St Peter one year and missed the rest of the season. He was in incredible form at the time. If it weren't for that, and Miquel De Souza getting injured on a jolly in Marbella or somewhere we'd have reached the Championship that season. O'Neill would have stayed, and we'd be an established Premier League force by now)

• I'm very pleased we are back in the Berks and Bucks Cup.

No sarcasm at all

• @chairboyscentral said:

@LX1 said:

...Maybe that's because I've grown up in a different era of football, I don't know.

I think it probably is. I've no real criticism of your views (which I appreciate are now commonplace) but there is an element of it all being about the 'now', with seemingly little connection with the past and history. I get that it's now a low priority, but for those of us with memories of games in the competition where it genuinely mattered (in as much as football can genuinely matter) it restores a little sense of value in those memories, so yes, I'm pleased we are playing in it this season.

@LX1 said:

Was I? Or was I just making the point that it wasn't the end of the world? I don't see the value in a regional cup competition in which we'll have to risk members of the first team squad - our only squad. Maybe that's because I've grown up in a different era of football, I don't know.

I can see where you're coming from and while not quoting money like you did, totally agree.
    It seems odd to enter a minor cup if there's any risk involved to players.

• edited December 2019

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@LX1 said:

I can see where you're coming from and while not quoting money like you did, totally agree.
    It seems odd to enter a minor cup if there's any risk involved to players.

I just think if you have to risk players who will be important to your league campaign, you want some kind of reward to balance that out. I don't imagine attendances will be particularly high, hence raising the topic of prize money. Is there even any prize money? If we could field a reserve or youth side, money wouldn't come into the equation.

• The converse of the argument is that one of the little used squad players may get a game and do really well, which increases their confidence when or if they are called into action for league games later on and could make the difference between winning or losing.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Weve got to win it this year to reach the magical Thirty.
    Perhaps have the 1848-51 USA 30 star flag below, the swan to mark the milestone ?

Banner work in progress already...

• There's no need for blood money in the B&B cup

• edited December 2019

@bookertease said:
    The converse of the argument is that one of the little used squad players may get a game and do really well, which increases their confidence when or if they are called into action for league games later on and could make the difference between winning or losing.

Maybe, what's the maximum number of games we could play in it?

• Maximum is three, minimum one.

Looking at the rules, entry fee is £10, ref gets £66 per game. its hardly big time - I very much doubt there is any prize money.

For the reasons I mentioned above, strikes me as a good thing to do if manager is happy to do so from a football viewpoint.

mind you we should be grateful that the competition isn't bigger. Rules limit maximum number of entries to 1000. They didn't quite get that many....

• Given we've managed to go out of every cup competition at the first round stage this season, I suspect that we'll be very grateful to have these matches for squad rotation when they come around after Christmas.

• If Gareth didn't want to play in this competition then we wouldn't have entered. I value his judgement over @chairboyscentrals in this matter.

• The young pups would baulk at the pre-eminence afforded the Berks & Bucks Cup back in the day. Take '74/'75, two consecutive Saturday fixtures in February and then a final on Easter Monday. Happy days.

I just think if you have to risk players who will be important to your league campaign, you want some kind of reward to balance that out. I don't imagine attendances will be particularly high, hence raising the topic of prize money. Is there even any prize money? If we could field a reserve or youth side, money wouldn't come into the equation.

Wouldn't it be great to draw Slough and get more people in than we did for our Leasing.com games?

• It became clear during the EFL Trophy that our fringe players need more game, not fewer. The B&B is a perfect opportunity for that.

Also, it's our trophy. Let's get it back!

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    The young pups would baulk at the pre-eminence afforded the Berks & Bucks Cup back in the day. Take '74/'75, two consecutive Saturday fixtures in February and then a final on Easter Monday. Happy days.

Consider me baulking.

• Did Gaz's team enter the competition? Could he play against us?

• Have to say @Wisdom_Of_Harry that to a young boy in the mid 70s the B+B cup was fairly insignificant even then ranking some way behind Isthmian League, Amateur Cup, Anglo Italian Trophy, Bob Lord Trophy and Premier Midweek Floodlight Cup (some of which titles and chronology I may have by now confused). Each to their own though.