Skip to content

Glen Hoddle

Slightly disappointing that the club are promoting An evening with Glen Hoddle. He’s the man that said that people born with disabilities are being punished for their sins in a formal life. I know it was sometime ago but do we want to give airtime to someone with those views !!

Comments

• he never said them fings! @davecz

• Yeah, he did.

• Hoddle, 41, told the Times that people were reincarnated 'to learn and face some of the things you have done - good and bad.' He said: 'You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap.'

• edited December 2019

Has he ever tried to explain it? Pretty hard to talk yourself out of that one, mind you.

• edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    Has he ever tried to explain it? Pretty hard to talk yourself out of that one, mind you.

Yes, he is a Hindu, or at least follows some aspects of it. It is part of his religiious belief system.

• He's a born again christian, not a Hindu. He's just also barking fucking mad and a bit of a prick.

• I’ve been doing a bit of google since I posted and I think you’re right dr Congo.

I had been wrongly informed he’d invented his own syncretic form of nonsense by blending Hinduism with Christianity but it seems he extrapolated it all out of a few bible verses.

• Man am I glad I'm not religious.

• edited December 2019

@drcongo said:
    Yeah, he did.

Good doctor, I know and he also said: I never said them fings...

'Hoddle’s reaction was to deny things, but in various stages: first he stated that “at this moment in time, I never said them things”, then tried the customary route of someone in trouble and maintained his words had been taken out of context, or misinterpreted. '

• he also had a healer working with England...>

@chairboyscentral said:

He couldn't talk his way out of it. Hence he got the England boot. More interesting than allegedly paying a bung to Cloughie or explaining how dodgy transfer deals work you have to admit.

• He was stitched up by a gutter journalist

Off the record comments made after the interview had finished became the story because a hack wanted a short cut to notoriety

• Great player, very good manager with interesting experience with youth development. Oh and once held some religious views that many changes including me find distasteful.

1) his religious views are a small part of the whole man. Should they mean he shouldn’t be heard - no in my view
    2) should we no-platform those we disagree with anyway? No again in my view. We should listen to them, challenge them, show where they are wrong but anyone is entitled to hold distasteful views and (except in very few cases) express them. One of our issues in life is that increasingly we live in bunkers listening only to those we already agree with. The nonsense of Brexit all the lies that support it is just one of the results. We should listen to alternate views, assess them, challenge them defeat them by better argument but never seek to suppress them.

• @eric_plant the 'gutter' 'hack' Matt Dickinson (then deputy but presently chief football writer of The Times) begged to differ that he was off the record. This was after he said he never said the things it was proved he actually said. I think denying it and then being proved to be less than truthful was what did for him rather than the filthy press.

• It was an outrageously offensive thing to say and he was rightly sacked.

Talk of players being dropped if they didn't buy into the nonsense of Eileen Drewery (sp?) was dodgy too.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Man am I glad I'm not religious.

This is like saying you're glad you're not political because you heard trump wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out.

• I agree with Dev

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Man am I glad I'm not religious.

This is like saying you're glad you're not political because you heard trump wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out.

That doesn't make any sense at all

• Even if you ignore his (to put it politely) strange views outside football, Hoddle seems to comes out very badly from every football autobiography written by players who came into contact with him.

• @eric_plant I disagree with Dev, or rather I disagree with the relevance of his comment to the current conversation. It's not "no platforming" someone to decide you'd rather spend your own money on listening to someone else whose views about the moral responsibility of disabled people you find less offensive.

• It’s really hard to better @drcongo’s earlier comment about him. @DevC is also right. But as for paying money to listen to him* spout various degrees of nonsense? Not a chance even if it does benefit the club in this instance.

*For the sake of clarity I do mean Hoddle here. I’m more than happy to (metaphorically) listen to Dev spout his various degrees of nonsense.**

**For the further sake of clarity that is meant as a joke.

• I remember watching David Icke on Wogan and as the interview progressed Terry chuckled and winked at the camera whilst the audience roared I began to feel more and more uncomfortable thinking are we laughing at a man suffering a breakdown.

• @eric_plant said:
    I agree with Dev

Blimey.

• Just to be clear to @OakwoodExile and @bookertease, I didn't intend to suggest you were obligated to pay money or time to go to see Hoddle. that is entirely your choice. Frankly I wouldn't either even if I lived in HW. The OP though suggests that we shouldn't publicise the event due to his views which is dangerously close to "no platforming" and for me a massive overreaction to what is essentially a discussion of football matters.

I wouldn't pay or give up my time to go and watch Nigel Farage talk. Horrible little man who has done great damage to the country in my view. Doesn't mean I shouldn't listen to his ideas, assess them, accept that in a mass of dross there may be the odd good idea and look where I can compromise with the more sensible of those who agree with him. his manifesto for the upcoming election was mostly in my view utter nonsense but there were a couple of decent ideas there too. My point was in society we need to embrace the fact that people are allowed to hold and express (usually) alternative views and we should be willing to consider them and compromise with them where possible. The electronic age appears to have encouraged us to hunker in bunkers listening only to those we agree with and ostracising and abusing those we don't. Not healthy.

And so endeth ..........

• In the electronic age we hear more from people we disagree with than we would ever have done in the past.

• @Malone said:
    Talk of players being dropped if they didn't buy into the nonsense of Eileen Drewery (sp?) was dodgy too.

He sent each player in to see her where they sat in a chair and she stood behind them and placed her hands on their shoulders. Ray Parlour allegedly then said "Short back and sides please love" and never played for England again.

• I'm not saying that he should be stopped from holding a footy evening by the way as a lot of people would like to hear what he has to say and perhaps quiz him on just these issues. Everyone has the right to be offended or not offended but people should be able to talk if people want to see them. I never got the amusement in Besty ending up on stage a sad, jokey alcoholic myself and a lot of people think Gazza is a hero when I see someone who has been helped out time and time again but seems incapable of sorting himself out. Glenn Hoddle like Big Sam, shot himself in the foot. But @Chris I would say in the electronic age actually we get to concentrate on what we believe in and screen out what we don't...thus debate is lost and you only have to listen to the people you like. Hence our present world of fake news. I just don;t think Super Glenn was stitched up like a kipper by the gutter press.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

He sent each player in to see her where they sat in a chair and she stood behind them and placed her hands on their shoulders. Ray Parlour allegedly then said "Short back and sides please love" and never played for England again.

That was exactly the main anecdote i remember!

• The most surprising part of that for me is that Ray Parlour actually played for England!

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I remember watching David Icke on Wogan and as the interview progressed Terry chuckled and winked at the camera whilst the audience roared I began to feel more and more uncomfortable thinking are we laughing at a man suffering a breakdown.

There's a man who has made himself a millionaire (mainly from yanks admittedly) from books and lectures outlining his completely nutty theories. You never get poor from creating a religion/movement as the Scientologists have proved.
    'If the Queen isn't a shape-shifting lizard why hasn't she sued me???'
    Priceless. Goalkeepers are a strange lot.

• I would bet money on the administrators of VAR in this country being shape-shifting lizards. That's the only plausible theory I can come up with for the current fiasco.

(I would also say our current Prime Minister is, although I'm not sure how much shape-shifting he has actually bothered to do)