Skip to content

Monday night trivia

2»

Comments

• Chuck played11 times in the Conference, I remember him in goal at VS Rugby as Granville was injured. It was like having a kid in goal as the whizzed the crosses over.

• Clue
    An absolute Wycombe legend was instrumental in bringing this chap to the Wanderers.

• Steve Whitby?

• The first 10 or so Wycombe matches I attended in 1992 were all easy wins. I remember Simon Stapleton featuring a lot, maybe him?

• Simon Stapleton signed before 1992 season.

• Nicky Evans?

• Matt Crossley?

• Already guessed him Righty

I vaguely remember John Maskell having something to do with Crossley joining us but I may have just imagined it. Difficult to tell these days

• John Maskell is the legend that brought this chap to the club, but its not Crossley.

• I remember the long winning run at the start of the Conference championship winning season more because of the inauspicious start, a 1-1 draw away at Macclesfield, where I heard murmurings of discontent in the crowd that we hadn't really strengthened the side (which had just finished equal top) and two guys calling Stapleton "Handbag" for some reason. This precipitated a long winning streak including an away victory against Kettering so clinical in its execution that it was a total embarrassment for the home side that day.

Sorry, do carry on...

• Anton Vircavs?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I remember the long winning run at the start of the Conference championship winning season more because of the inauspicious start, a 1-1 draw away at Macclesfield, where I heard murmurings of discontent in the crowd that we hadn't really strengthened the side (which had just finished equal top) and two guys calling Stapleton "Handbag" for some reason. This precipitated a long winning streak including an away victory against Kettering so clinical in its execution that it was a total embarrassment for the home side that day.

Sorry, do carry on...

4-0 up at half time?

What a performance

• @LeedsBlue That Kettering game was amazing. As was the home one in ? '91, where we won 5-1 to inflict their first defeat of the season on them - with Chuck in goal (he saved a penalty, as I recall). That was the moment I thought something special was brewing. Heady days.

• @eric_plant
    I believe Mask was instrumental in bringing Anton to the club, as he was with Dave Burgess.
    The region may lead you to this chap.

• @eric_plant said:
    Already guessed him Righty

I vaguely remember John Maskell having something to do with Crossley joining us but I may have just imagined it. Difficult to tell these days

Kelman brought Crossley to Wycombe, His Dad Ian Crossley was Wycombe's scout for a period of time.

• Kevin Durham?

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    Kevin Durham?

Correct the late great Kevin Durham, had an amazing 15 straight league wins since signing from Oxford City. His debut on the opening day of the 86/87 season, never tasted defeat until Jan 87.
    Every time I see Nick Freeman play, I see a bit of Durham in him, the clever football intelligence that cant be taught, and the instinctive clever passes and flicks.

• Totally agree with the Freeman/Durham comparison. Great “authority” and composure. When Nick was playing mainly wide left I could see Guppy as well but I seem to remember a certain amount of mockery when I said so on here a couple of years ago.

• I hope we have no more reasons to compares Kevin Durham and Nick Freeman.

• It was probably the only regret during Saint Martin's reign that due to the emergence of Carroll and Guppy it was decided Durham could leave for pastures new. I remember us getting a healthy fee from Barnet, but their was no greater sight than watching 'Durrers' twist and turn his marker/s with that beautiful poise and balance and two wonderful feet.

• I must admit Kevin Durham was before my time, I've just heard of his sad passing just after Barnet won promotion. In case I'm not the only one who didn't know the link is here: http://reckless-guide-to-barnet.blogspot.com/2014/04/kevin-durham.html

• Friday night trivia
    Can anyone name the ex Wanderers Keeper who numbered Leytonstone,Tooting and Carshalton amongst his clubs ?

• Funnily enough @Right_in_the_Middle I had the same thought but I think he’s always been in the PL or EFL.
    Peter Spittle came to mind (a name to conjure with!) but I can’t find any gen.

• Neither correct.

• Well done Mr Newbs !!

• Thanks @ChasHarps - I do vaguely remember seeing him play a couple of times. Came from Tooting. Big sideburns if I remember rightly.