Skip to content

Where are we watching football in the next two weeks ?

With two Saturday's to fill (unless you are Christmas Shopping) were are getting your Saturday fix? I will be watching our old foes Slough both weekends as they continue their promotion push from the National League South. Their well appointed ground is worth a visit. I will also seek out the B and B cup which will , of course , be coming to AP in 2020 along with the League 1 Trophy.

Comments

• I've just returned home from watching Arsenal v Eintracht Frankfurt and I really don't know how they watch that every week!

• Because they are goons @ValleyWanderer!

• Train into London, Coach down to Poole for Hamworthy United v Plymouth Parkway in the FA Vase

• Probably taking the easy option, a 10 minute walk to see Winslow Utd v St. Panteleimon, second v first in the Spartan South Mids One.

• I'm quite looking forward to Maidenhead versus (top of the table) Barrow.

• Maghull fc v Chester Nomads 2pm sat.
    Leicester v Everton 4:30pm ko Sun.
    Liverpool v Everton 8:15pm ko wed

May have a break after that especially if we get embarrassed in the Derby!

• Berkhamsted v Daventry Town in the Southern League Division One Central. Berkhamsted were top - as a WWFC season-ticket holder I feel more comfortable watching teams occupying top spot at the moment!!!

• York Road to see another unfashionable club at the top of their League

• If going to York Road you may need to give yourselves extra time for travel as the A4 is said to be very busy due to a planned closure of the M4 in that area this weekend.

• TV for me!

• @Mr67 said:
    If going to York Road you may need to give yourselves extra time for travel as the A4 is said to be very busy due to a planned closure of the M4 in that area this weekend.

Thanks @Mr67

I’ve already had an interesting drive to Farnham Common from Reading via Marlow, Flackwell and the M40 at Beaconsfield.

The Slough/Maidenhead/M4 area is chaos at present.

• Freezing my tits off at Winchester City v Paulton Rovers this afternoon followed by Eastleigh v Crewe Alexandra in the FA Cup tonight.

Leicester City v Watford on Wednesday evening.
    Clapton CFC v Stonewall next Saturday.

• Luton are 5-0 down to Brentford at ht :)

• No great surprise Luton have struggled; lost their two best players and didn't adequately replace. Funny though. Imagine if they had to swap divisions with WYCOMBE ?

• Let's enjoy that for sure.
    But not too much, as in 2 years in the Premier league we might take the odd drubbing, with Match of the Day criticising us relying on punting it to a 40 year old Bayo.

• Luton were a really good team when they were promoted so I feel the PL is another Galaxy for us tbf.

• First visit today to The Farley Way Stadium to watch Quorn versus Pinchbeck United in the United Counties League Premier Division. The match finished 7 - 0 to Quorn, but it was nowhere near as one-sided as the score makes it sound. Main difference was the away side not taking their chances whilst the hosts were clinical.

First half was pretty even, but Quorn twice took advantage of the opposition keeper being off his line, firstly with a looping header and then a precise lob from outside the box. Second half began much the same, but after the third goal went in Quorn really pushed on and started to look like the better side.

Quorn appear to have some good players for this level. One young (18 y.o.) attacking midfielder, Tawanda Mangondoza, was particularly impressive.

• edited November 2019

FA Vase for me - High hopes for an extended run for the Sexy Lambs of Tavistock as they faced near neighbours Buckland but an early sending off, gusty wind and bobbly pitch disrupted their normal passing style and Buckland deservedly lead 2-0 at half time. Tavi came back into the game second half, Buckland had two sent off but a missed penalty and poor passing lead to a final 1-2 result. The lambs fans were silenced and the baaarmy army made their way home sadly. Oh well there is always the Les Phillips cup....

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Luton were a really good team when they were promoted so I feel the PL is another Galaxy for us tbf.

More like a Mars.

• Watched Kidlington beat St Neots 1-0 in the Southern League 1 Central. Several light years away from being a classic though there was a proper punch up that led to a red and four yellows. Also, St Neots play in the famous blue quarters, which almost made it feel like I was watching a Wycombe match. It was bloody freezing.

• Winslow Utd 4-2 St Panteleimon, Spartan South Midlands One

An action packed afternoon. The Saints were top and unbeaten but Winslow, in second place, had won their last six in the league. United took a 12th minute lead, and doubled it just before the break. It had been a fairly even half, Winslow with slightly more possession, their keeper made two outstanding saves. It was also a feisty half, several yellow cards given, including a 10 minute sin bin for a Winslow player, stupid dissent.

The second half was a bit mad, Winslow made it 3-0 early on but fifteen minutes in, Winslow had two players simultaneously sin binned for dissent. Even more stupid. The Saints took full advantage, scoring two in this period, including a penalty when the keeper cleaned out the onrushing striker. With a full eleven again, Winslow scored a fourth but Saints had a late penalty awarded. Before it could be taken, the lino flagged and reported some misdemeanour to the ref, who sent off a Winslow player. The penalty kick then hit the post and the rebound floored the ref. He was on the floor, winded, for some time. I lost count of the cards dished out, mostly to Winslow.

106 spectators enjoyed the game and it sees Winslow four points behind the leaders with a game in hand. MK Robins and New Salamis are two and one points behind Winslow respectively.

Incidentally, St Panteleimon were only formed in 2015, rooted in the Greek Orthodox community in Harrow. After previously playing on one of the pitches at The Hive, and ground sharing with Edgware Town, they currently play at North Greenford FC.

Some goal videos:

• Berkhamsted 3 Daventry Town 0

The Comrades maintained second place in the Southern League Division One Central with a seemingly comfortable win over eighth-places Daventry.

Sporting an all-purple kit somewhat like Fiorentina, Daventry had as much of the play as the home side but were never as clinical in front of goal. The home side led 2-0 at half-time and added a further scrambled goal in the second-half to the delight of a frozen crowd of 167.

• Risborough Rangers 3-0 Aldermaston (Hellenic League Division 1). Attendance 77.

RR remain top of their division, and still unbeaten in the league.

• Anyone go to Maidenhead? Very interested to know how good Barrow are.

• @A_Worboys said:
    Anyone go to Maidenhead? Very interested to know how good Barrow are.

Plenty of Wycombe supporters at the game. We saw at least ten faces we recognised.

Barrow had plenty of the ball and dominated possession.

Scott Quigley was superb out wide and cutting in from the left. He was the main outlet for Barrow.

Angus up front squandered a number of chances but got in to good positions.

They are a very good side with a very strong forward line and midfield. Maidenhead were poor and missing two of their better players. Alan Massey was probably the stand out player for Maidenhead.

Barrow won by four but it could have been more and they made it look comfortable.

Maidenhead were very poor. Devonshire will need to get players back from injury and bring in some fresh faces in January to avoid the drop in May.

Barrow on that display could be playing League football for the first time in nearly 50 years come August.

• I stopped while walking the dog to watch a bit of Buckingham Athletics game, full blooded amateur stuff in a freezing drizzle with mud, dodgy challenges and everyone effing jeffing, I may go again.

• I quite like football sin bins, targeting dissent both verbal and by action (such as sarcastic clapping). I have twice seen a double simultaneous sin binning in the last few weeks. Whilst Winslow clearly have a discipline problem, Wycombe Wanderers Ladies do not. I frequently hear the Chairgirls question a referee's decision but some referees are very sensitive about that and allow no backchat whatsoever.

It needs to be used carefully as playing two short for ten minutes is a big disadvantage, as proved yesterday at Winslow. If a crowd of players harangue a referee, you could see more than two binned, and if that leaves a team with less than seven players, the match is abandoned.

I sense that dissent is more of a problem lower down the ladder, and not quite so much at professional level where players have to learn and apply discipline to survive. But that might be because I can clearly hear players' comments standing close to the pitch with little, or no, crowd noise. I would certainly welcome sin bins at higher levels, as long as referees are consistent in applying it.

• Went to see Kingstonian get beat 2-0 by AFC Fylde today.

Kingstonian zipped the ball round nicely (to tell the truth, nicer than I've seen us do in a while) but what they did lack, really did make me proud of what we DO do brilliantly - get the ball into the box, and use it there well.

For all their possession, which was impeccably sharp for an Isthmian side, they had zero presence up front. No threat in the front line, or even an ability to find the lonely striker who gave an impression of trudging through treacle-infused mud.

• Slough v Tonbridge a fairly poor goalless draw. A real bugbear of mine Tonbridge wore their away kit no doubt to increase sales in the Far East (of Tonbridge ). Slough play in Amber Shrts ,dark blue sleeves dark blue shorts and socks. Tonbridge apparently play in all dark blue. They decided to wear pale orange shirts with dark blue sleeves dark blue shorts and socks. Very hard to tell the teams apart. Apart from having a rule introduced that teams can only change in event of a colour clash. ( is that on any party's manifesto ?) you'd have thought the referee would have told them to change. Mad mad mad.