Skip to content

Joe Jacobson

Comments

• In fairness, Bloomy must be doing most teams a favour, as he barely scores against anyone!

• Can’t remember the last time.

• @micra said:
    Can’t remember the last time.

Remember a cracker at Forest Green a couple of seasons back.

• Ah, yes. Must be another cracker due soon. Tis the season.

• I'm sure when the next chance presents itself...

• Answers on a postcard (addressed to A Wendoverman, High Street, Wendover, Bucks, UR4 1FO).

• Bloomfield scored against Stevenage in the promotion celebration game

• Pretty sure Blooms has scored in every season he’s played for us hasn’t he?

• He does play a fairly advanced midfield role in fairness! He should get at least an occasional goal!

• @floyd said:
    Pretty sure Blooms has scored in every season he’s played for us hasn’t he?

He has, even the one he missed most of injured, and I think there was one when he didn't score until the final day.

• Maybe the one against Stevenage.

• Nah, he scored at FGR that same season. His full record is here: https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=28058

• For all my admiration of Nick Freeman (repeated ad nauseam) I do wish he’d start scoring. Yes, I know, he’s come very close several times recently but, with the powerful shooting that I’ve seen from him on many occasions in the warm-up, I’m surprised that he doesn’t shoot more often. I suppose one reason is that he often makes telling passes and crosses for others to latch onto. Add a few goals to his already consistently impressive performances and we will have a very valuable “commodity”.

• edited November 2019

I'm sure we'll see him start a game or two over that congested festive period. It feels like he's started one in about two months. I'm probably wrong.

• He opened Ipswich up two or three times towards the end, with ease. The guy’s vision and passing is a joy. A couple of seasons ago he was cracking them in from distance, so he’s got it in his locker. I think his time to really shine is just around the corner.

• edited November 2019

Almost every player ends up with at least one clearly defined "hero moment" each season or two. Nick is overdue one. Even players who rarely score seem to have their time in the sun at key moments, whether it is Bean and Gape scoring their first goals of the season in the two biggest moments during the promotion season, Sido's header against Bristol Rovers or McCarthy's freekick against Walsall last season, on to Darius scoring the winner against Sunderland this season. I really feel like Freeman is going to score in a very big spot indeed. That being said, it was his amazing pass to Scotty which finally broke the back of that horrible run last season (v Southend away), his pass which set up Wheeler's own hero moment v MK Dons, and also his defence splitting thing of beauty into the path of Scotty (v Southend again) which sealed the 4-3 this season, so he has actually had his key moments recently. It is more that I am expecting something instantly iconic, such as a late overhead kick to beat Oxford, or something.

• (Please be a late overhead kick to beat Oxford)

• Is it to late for that one to be moved for telly? It could be 12 unbeaten v 11 unbeaten.

• He’s assisted last minute goals, I’m sure he’ll get his own match winning last minute goal at some point, everyone was talking about the player not getting his second yellow for the foul on Nick at Ipswich, as everything happened so quick, we missed the inch perfect pass he made to Wheeler that got the penalty

• @LeedsBlue said:
    He opened Ipswich up two or three times towards the end, with ease. The guy’s vision and passing is a joy. A couple of seasons ago he was cracking them in from distance, so he’s got it in his locker. I think his time to really shine is just around the corner.

When you look at players and wonder which ones you as a park plodder may or not have resembled, I think Freeman would be close to the opposite of what I was.

He has immense composure, never rushes and keeps it in tight spaces. One of those players we've brought in that could easily have fallen to the wayside a bit, but he learnt the Wycombe/Ainsworth way of working hard on top. Beautiful.

• Freeman is the Zidane of League 1.

• And he should be starting.

• Yet again, I must apologise (not least to JJ) for the derailment but I’m chuffed to bits (and not in the least surprised) by the unanimity of opinion about Sir Nicholas.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    And he should be starting.

If Freeman starts, that would most likely be in place of Bloomfield in the furthest forward midfield position. I am curious why someone as interested as yourself in the statistics relating to football would want to see Freeman start instead of Bloomfield, when the numbers show our results this season with Bloomfield starting have been considerably better:

Matches with Bloomfield starting: Win 67% Draw 33% Loss 0%
    Matches with Freeman starting: Win 31% Draw 54% Loss 15%

• edited November 2019

It's not as simple as that. Four of his starts were alongside Bloomfield, which - while two were v Lincoln and Sunderland - I think leaves us imbalanced in midfield. Put him in with Thompson and Gape and I think you'd see a different outcome. I'm not denying Blooms has has had a good season so far, but none of our other midfielders come close to Freeman's creativity. We might well keep scoring from set-pieces, but we really ought to start scoring from open play again (have only done so once in the last six games). Smyth should help with that, but so can Freeman as we know. I'm not saying he should start every game, but he seems to have fallen out of favour of late - but the Christmas period could be his chance to shine!

• Back to JJ: he's one goal away from his best scoring season for us (all competitions).

• Nothing short of amazing. And you wouldn’t bet against him topping his previous best before Christmas. Perhaps at Oxford on 21st! But I’d settle for the Burton game.

• Player of the Season is going to be chosen from a crowded field, but if JJ ends up our top scorer with 10+ goals as a left back, it is going to take something special for someone else to win it.

• Bloomy brings something to the team that is hard to quantify, but works.
    I doubt many would have him in their "best" 11, but then most wouldn't have other seasons. Yet he lives on.

It's a nice arrangement rotating between the two. Freeman's inclusion is still higher than it has been previously, so as long as he's developing, everyone wins.

• edited November 2019

@Shev said:
    Player of the Season is going to be chosen from a crowded field, but if JJ ends up our top scorer with 10+ goals as a left back, it is going to take something special for someone else to win it.

I know I said JJ was my player of the season before, but it has to be Charles now - I've run out of words for him.

In terms of being top scorer, JJ is obviously at an advantage as penalty taker, but he must be in the top five so far just with his other goals.