Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

124»

Comments

• I wonder why Sido’s full name isn’t on there.

• Was just going to say where’s his Coelho.

• So Fred is really Wilf.

• Take a look at page 74 (Walsall)...

• Oh Tom, that’s a hell of a scroll to go back to. Is it really worth it?

• Crikey, we got off light with the Beast then. Not sure about Adebayo being repeated verbatim in brackets!

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:
    The lad who went into him was a unit, too. Felt rather sorry for him and hope no ill-effects; he went in illegitimately hard but it was a committed rather than dirty challenge - he hurt himself form the clash of heads that was caused by both going for the ball.

It was an idiotic challenge as there was an 18 stoner in between him and the ball, and he had utterly no chance of getting near it! Not to mention being in his own box!

I don't think anyone has suggested it was a well-judged challenge. Nonetheless, it was committed rather than malicious, which was my point. As others have since noted, the game was played in a good spirit on the whole.

• I thought the ref was okay and it was a reasonably flowing game given the conditions. Also not a niggly game so the sending off surprised me as from the beechdean it looked a yellow at most. I can understand them being peeved about the pen...but there is no way Bayo 'fell' as the fella hit him like a rocket. Lots of mispaced passes by both sides but what do they say about getting a win while not playing your best. I suppose the extra time for the injury to their player will excite Plymouth and Sunderland fans.

• Not that it really maters, but it was Interesting to see watching the highlight back that some players were a good few steps in the box before JJ had even hit the ball. (maybe this happens more often than i can see from my seat). It just made me wonder with VAR in the higher leagues if a player missed could they argue for a retake based on infraction? As re-takes have been given if a goalkeeper has been off his line.

• @BSE said:
    Not that it really maters, but it was Interesting to see watching the highlight back that some players were a good few steps in the box before JJ had even hit the ball. (maybe this happens more often than i can see from my seat). It just made me wonder with VAR in the higher leagues if a player missed could they argue for a retake based on infraction? As re-takes have been given if a goalkeeper has been off his line.

As both sets of players are in there, maybe they wouldn't ask for a retake.

But if it was saved it should be re-taken as that keeper is off his line.

• Vardy missed for Leicester on Sat, Maddison scored the follow up, and it was retaken after VAR involvement - both Leicester and Brighton players were in the area. Don't know if that helps.

• According to Law 14 - Penalty Kick

“If a player of both teams infringes the Laws of the Game, the kick is retaken unless a player commits a more serious offence (e.g. illegal feinting); if both the goalkeeper and kicker commit an offence at the same time:
    if the kick is missed or saved, the kick is retaken and both players cautioned
    if the kick is scored, the goal is disallowed, the kicker is cautioned and play restarts with an indirect free kick to the defending team“

So my reading is kick should be retaken regardless of goal “scored” or not. This happened in the NI premier league game between Coleraine and Carrick this weekend.

However not sure in the above picture whether guidance as to goalkeeper off line and the Donny player being marginally ahead of the Wycombe player would come into play.