Skip to content

The Opposition View: Ipswich

Comments

• edited November 2019

Balanced view from Ipswich. Will be really interesting to see how we line up going forward. The last two games have shown that once teams sit in against us, we're far more effective with Bayo on.

With that in mind I'd start with him as sub and bring him on off the bench, as much as I like Samuels, he's far more effective when teams are pushed up so he can run into the channels.

• edited November 2019

I think we'll either go 4-4-2 to match up with Ipswich - who either play that or possibly a diamond - with Kashket starting off Bayo or Wheeler. Or maybe a return of the inverted trapezium? I know I keep saying it, but I'd love to see Smyth off Bayo, which could work in either of those systems - although he is a better ball carrrier from midfield/wide than Scotty.

• these are great, @chairboyscentral and you're to be credited for finding such a reasonable, enlightened and interesting bunch of supporter counterparts. Thanks for putting the work in.

(None of this means I've let you off about the FA Cup. You'll come round.)

• edited November 2019

No problem! There's a really good network/community of lower league fans on Twitter. Pompey and Blackpool proved a bit of a challenge, and I might need to dig a bit deeper for a Burton fan, but you can usually find someone to give you a good take on things.

(Haha, we'll see...)

• https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/469804/wycombe-are-a-horrible-physical-streetwise-outfit-but....effective/#21

A lot of the Ipswich fans seem to be somewhat "worried" about playing us. They think we are that nasty, playacting team. I don't ever see anything "nasty" from us. I think we play to our strengths but fairly.

• edited November 2019

"Turn it in, lads. I watched Wycombe the other week and they are crap, like most sides at this level. We should turn them over and I fully expect us to."

"We'll see. They aren't remotely special as a side and if we want to go up we ought to be beating them at home."

"Am I the only one still struggling to adjust to L1? I see talk of how we need to be worried about Wycombe and a little piece of me dies."

"They aren't a very good side from the little I've seen of them. We shouldn't be crapping ourselves about Wycombe at home."

"We're better than them, we should be beating them at home. It's a simple as that really. If we don't beat them it will be a disappointing result."

• Has anyone ever flown under the radar before while 5 points clear at the top of the table?

• Accrington in 17/18

• edited November 2019

I don't think we will win tomorrow - I reckon 1-1 - but [insert Kevin Keegan rant].

• Walking down the road after the Doncaster game, one of their fans was giving it loads about how we'll "plummet playing like that".

It's just stock fan material.

People do it with the big clubs too. How Pep has been "found out" at not being top, or how he hasn't won the Euro cup with City etc.

• I think we should beat them if they have a 34 year old kipper playing.

@chairboyscentral - typo in the caption

• @drcongo said:
    I think we should beat them if they have a 34 year old kipper playing.

I'm glad you reminded me of that; I spotted it last night but was too tired to log back in and edit.

• @drcongo said:

Not if he leaps like a salmon

I'll get my coat

• They should be beating us; we're the minnows.

• They are, like Sunderland, too big to be playing the likes of us.

• Given their obvious superiority, it’s surprising that they bottled out of playing us on the original date; even Sunderland didn’t do that.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    "Turn it in, lads. I watched Wycombe the other week and they are crap, like most sides at this level. We should turn them over and I fully expect us to."

"We'll see. They aren't remotely special as a side and if we want to go up we ought to be beating them at home."

"Am I the only one still struggling to adjust to L1? I see talk of how we need to be worried about Wycombe and a little piece of me dies."

"They aren't a very good side from the little I've seen of them. We shouldn't be crapping ourselves about Wycombe at home."

"We're better than them, we should be beating them at home. It's a simple as that really. If we don't beat them it will be a disappointing result."

That’s the team talk taken care of

• If we get anything from the game it will be because despite their Premier League qualities the referee will give us everything and them nothing though he would not want to watch it every week.

• edited November 2019

They seemed worried on their forum as they were undone by Rotherham - very convincingly. I'd say Rotherham are one of the more physical sides we've faced this season, but we dealt with them superbly - largely because we are similarly physical. We couldn't win tomorrow...could we?

• Note the Ipswich Town bag policy:

"Large bags will not be permitted to be taken into the stadium. By way of guidance, nothing larger than a standard carrier bag will be allowed. There are no facilities to leave bags."

40 x 40 x 10 cms is the size quoted by our club, I doubt the stewards will be armed with tape measures. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

• The key will be if Ipswich can negate our shithousery.

• Proper "Big club" with that policy.

• @drcongo said:

Makes for a promising tie

• Something makes me think this thread is turning fishy?

• I think we’re going to play pure rock’n’sole football and leave Ipswich floundering.

• Hopefully we can find the net

• @chairboyscentral said:

All of the above are replies to people who are suggested they are scared though? You've just hand picked the replies to make me feel inadequate and you feel better. Whatever floats your boat though.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@chairboyscentral said:

All of the above are replies to people who are suggested they are scared though? You've just hand picked the replies to make me feel inadequate and you feel better. Whatever floats your boat though

Someone always has to find something to carp on about