Skip to content

Comments

• Who can forget losing 6-0 away at Stockport under this ****?

• I don't remember there being that much ill will towards him at the time? Did I miss something?

The semi-final year was great, and we came up a bit short in the League. The play-off season was exciting though with McGleish banging them in. At Norwich I recall the boos being a bit tongue-in-cheek, a kind of 'we have to do this nonsense'.

• "That goal changed nothing"

Every game being "toff"

Quitting as "some things aren't right"

Not liking to talk about winning the European cup...more than once an hour.

Dreadfully boring style of play, often with 4 centre mids across the middle.

Superb run in the league cup semi final.

• Interesting article, I too don't remember too much ill will whilst he was here except for frustration that it was all a bit dull and we should probably be doing better in the league. Terrace moaning from people who weren't even there at the time is inevitable as some obviously enjoy that.
    When you quit because you seemingly just don't care enough and have better options and then pitch up at Col U (bigger rivals then than now) though you are accepting some stick. He's ex Norwich at Ipswich. He doesn't care.

• The only bad stuff I remember being said about Lambert in his time here was about the constant references to his European Cup medal, and, I see to remember, a quote about having trained in front of bigger crowds than we got at Wycombe. Bit of a dour sort and not loved to the extent O'Neill and Gorman had been, but not really disliked.

• I quite liked Lambert and I am not surprised he's done ok on management.

• My abiding memory is of walking the dog at Holmer Green FC’s ground (where Wycombe trained at the time) on a very hot day, saying good morning and remarking about the heat and being completely “blanked”.

• He was a decent manager here and has shown more elsewhere since, but he was the most miserable person I've ever spoken too.

• Definitely think both Paul Lambert and Lawrie Sanchez have been given far too much stick retrospectively. They both made the semi-final of a major national cup competition. For that alone we should be more grateful than we have been.

• At least he spoke to you @Username !

• @micra said:
    My abiding memory is of walking the dog at Holmer Green FC’s ground (where Wycombe trained at the time) on a very hot day, saying good morning and remarking about the heat and being completely “blanked”.

Were you trying to measure him?

• @micra said:
    At least he spoke to you @Username !

I remember chatting to him a couple of times. A particularly insightful one on his preference for experience over youth on team selection sticks out. He was very aware of result pressure and was not going to blood a youngster as a result.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Definitely think both Paul Lambert and Lawrie Sanchez have been given far too much stick retrospectively. They both made the semi-final of a major national cup competition. For that alone we should be more grateful than we have been.

I've always found the negativity around Sanchez a little perplexing myself.

• Probably thought @micra was spying on behalf of an upcoming opposition club.

• edited November 2019

@OxfordBlue said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Definitely think both Paul Lambert and Lawrie Sanchez have been given far too much stick retrospectively. They both made the semi-final of a major national cup competition. For that alone we should be more grateful than we have been.

I've always found the negativity around Sanchez a little perplexing myself.

Sanchez's first half of his regime was superb.

But the second half saw an absolute meltdown, taunting fans and falling out with loads of people. Who could forget the MK comments and the "henpecked" fans comment. Or insulting the fans by saying we wouldn't even have "noticed" previous top scorer and fan favourite Devine being shipped out if he hadn't scored two from the bench one game.

He had us hated by a lot of other teams, and not like now because we're actually good. The knock on effect being he was seemingly unable to sign anyone without Brentford or Wimbledon links. The worst contacts book outside of Waddock, and once Bates had retired and Devine got crocked he was pretty much finished here.

The bitterness and refusal to come to any club events since has added to it.

• @Malone said:

But the second half saw an absolute meltdown, taunting fans and falling out with loads of people. Who could forget the MK comments and the "henpecked" fans comment. Or insulting the fans by saying we wouldn't even have "noticed" previous top scorer and fan favourite Devine being shipped out if he hadn't scored two from the bench one game.

Sorry. I've forgotten all those moments.

• I arrived for the end of Gormania, Brownie as caretaker (?) and then Lambert. I thought he was okay. I know he has a reputation for following the money, and I cannot say I would be inspired if he turned up at my club now...but i thought he did okay.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I arrived for the end of Gormania, Brownie as caretaker (?) and then Lambert. I thought he was okay. I know he has a reputation for following the money, and I cannot say I would be inspired if he turned up at my club now...but i thought he did okay.

My mind may be playing tricks on me, wasn't it a caretaker combo of Rhino and Brownie following Gormania?

• could have been @13arnesy that was early days for me in the area. I was only attending sporadically at that point.

• Bloody hell, this article has absolutely smashed my views record for a single post - all credit to Phil, of course!

• Lambert was just a tad too miserable and not “Wycombe” enough for me. Also memories of MON were fresh so tough to live up to that. HOWEVER going from us to C*lu was too much given the intense rivalry of the time and the years up to that point.
    Not a hate figure but will be nice to do Ipswich and wear a smug grin for a while.
    COYB!!!!

• Miserable sod who regularly made it clear it was all beneath him. Sanchez is an odd one. Absolute legend in some ways, a borderline disgrace by the end.

• Lambert is only four years older than Ainsworth. I like to think Gaz has aged a lot better!

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    My abiding memory is of walking the dog at Holmer Green FC’s ground (where Wycombe trained at the time) on a very hot day, saying good morning and remarking about the heat and being completely “blanked”.

What’s with this strange obsession with measurements @Malone ? I think you may be confusing metrology with meteorology. My obsession (one of them) is with the latter.

• edited November 2019

@micra said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

What’s with this strange obsession with measurements @Malone ? I think you may be confusing metrology with meteorology. My obsession (one of them) is with the latter.

Did I imagine your 100s of posts about players' heights?

• Take care of your primary adiabatic lapse rate @micra and watch out for those troughs and occlusions!

• @Malone said:

Did I imagine your 100s of posts about players’ heights ?

You definitely did! If you can find half a dozen over the the last three or four months you will be doing well.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Take care of your primary adiabatic lapse rate @micra and watch out for those troughs and occlusions!

You’ve got me there @ValleyWanderer ! Troughs and occlusions fine but I’m not familiar with adiabatic lapse rates, whether primary or secondary.

• Unless you are referring to what, in the ‘fifties, we used to refer to as tephigrams - essentially graphs which were plotted to show the difference between wet and dry bulb temperature readings agains height as an aid to predicting cloud density at all levels between the surface and 20,000 ft.
    I think the balloons carrying the instruments used to burst at or below that level. I was only ever an assistant scientific officer so I couldn’t vouch for the accuracy of my description 60 odd years ago, let alone now !

• I think they were called radiosonde balloons.