Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• It probably is, although it will take some working out - but @oilysailor will probably have it in an instant if you Tweet him.

• @thedieharder said:
    4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Which one is best for us?

Depends on the opposition and/or opposition, but we are certainly adaptable. I suspect we'll go 4-4-2 on Tuesday to try and match up with Ipswich. The 4-3-1-2 worked to perfection against Rotherham too.

• @Malone said:
    Someone pointed out if some one is injured and has physio attention they don't now have to go off if the offender is booked.

Yet their man was red carded and bloomfield still had to go off after attention?
    Or is that different?

I was wondering about that myself, as I think we saw a similar thing on Wednesday against Tranmere: after the red card incident the treated player had to go off and wait to be called back on; after a yellow card incident the treated player was allowed to stay on the pitch. Seems odd. Any referees out there who could advise?

• @Malone, as far as I can tell from looking at the IFAB Laws (Law 5.3) Bloomfield shouldn't have had to leave the field. However, maybe there was blood from the cut on his leg and the referee got confused?
    At the time it looked like Bloomfield was trying to argue to the referee that he wasn't required to leave the pitch.

• edited November 2019

I don't think there was much by way of bitterness from Donny fans yesterday, but this might come in handy for future games (posted by a Burnley account but applicable to us):

• That looks scarily familiar, doesn't it.

• Worthy of note yesterday that there were two players on the pitch who between them had more than a thousand appearances for their respective clubs. James Coppinger isn’t quite a one club man but since his arrival at Donny is into his 16th season and has made 558 appearances for them. Matt Bloomfield has had injury problems and hasn’t always been first choice so has “only” appeared for us 451 times. Will Matt still be playing for us at 38? Will he make 500?

• edited November 2019

If we go up this season, no. If we remain in League One for another season or two, probably.

• I think @chairboyscentral is probably right.

If the club went up, income would instantly rise by £5m. How much of that money should club spend on salaries to compete (but how would they be paid if on two year contracts and we went back down), how much should we squirrel away for future seasons. Potentially huge decisions ahead.

• What was their 5 doing taking the ball off us while waiting for the pen? It’s ‘our ball’ at that stage, so i genuinely didn’t understand what that was all about.

• Yeah, almost started a melee that

• @bookertease said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Another poor refereeing performance on the whole. Did anyone notice the Doncaster player joining our wall on a free-kick? Um, you're not allowed to do that anymore...

Now I actually thought the referee was pretty good. I noticed a couple of times he had words about their players trying to get into our wall. If it was before that he may have missed it but if it was after I wonder whether he might have given up and would just have disallowed a goal if it had gone in?

There were a couple of handballs in the box, both could have been given these days but I didn’t - from my position in the FA stand - think that they were 100%.

Can’t recall much else I thought he’d got wrong. A bit lenient on yellow cards maybe? I thought Stewart(?) could easily have been booked for hauling someone back second half.

In terms of the game it wasn’t great from either side with our best spell 10-15 minutes before half time. Don’t think the weather helped much second half. But after Wednesday the result was the most important thing.

Another awful referee for me. Quite literally blew his whistle every time someone fell over. Luckily for us Bayo knew this and fell for quite possibly the first time ever and the ref blew up.

• You do come out with some nonsense Righty.

Watch the replay, Bayo was absolutely clattered whilst jumping. He had zero chance of not being knocked over

• @NorsQuarters said:
    Yeah, almost started a melee that

That was exactly the point! 90th minute of the game, he was doing anything possible to try and put JJ off, fortunately JJ stayed way clear of the penalty area till their player had gone off.

I'm guessing RITM hasn't seen the replay of the penalty incident, Bayo was absolutely smashed by their fairly big lad. If it had been on Smyth or Kashket it could have been serious and a red card.

• @eric_plant said:
    You do come out with some nonsense Righty.

Watch the replay, Bayo was absolutely clattered whilst jumping. He had zero chance of not being knocked over

I watched it live and have enjoyed watching the replay a few times. I've seen Bayo fall so few times it was lucky this was one occasion he did. No penalty without the fall in my opinion. Not because it wasn't but just because the ref blew up on every fall.

• I don't think he made a conscious decision to fall...

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@eric_plant said:
    You do come out with some nonsense Righty.

I watched it live and have enjoyed watching the replay a few times. I've seen Bayo fall so few times it was lucky this was one occasion he did. No penalty without the fall in my opinion. Not because it wasn't but just because the ref blew up on every fall.

He got flattened!!!!

• Strength doesn't really matter when you are airborne in that respect.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    What was their 5 doing taking the ball off us while waiting for the pen? It’s ‘our ball’ at that stage, so i genuinely didn’t understand what that was all about.

It was totally pathetic toys out the pram behaviour.

Although what was odd, was having battled them for the ball, and won, we then just chucked the ball on the floor for the next couple of mins anyway!

But those long breaks before taking a pen are always nervy, to seemingly everyone bar JJ and Bayo.

• @Username said:

@NorsQuarters said:
    Yeah, almost started a melee that

That was exactly the point! 90th minute of the game, he was doing anything possible to try and put JJ off, fortunately JJ stayed way clear of the penalty area till their player had gone off.

I'm guessing RITM hasn't seen the replay of the penalty incident, Bayo was absolutely smashed by their fairly big lad. If it had been on Smyth or Kashket it could have been serious and a red card.

I think it's one of those sort of challenges the defender wouldn't have dreamed of making on anyone else, as normally there's no amount of force that can stop Bayo.

But even Bayo when in the air is going to go over when some goon sprints and clatters into him.
    He got his though didn't he! Bayo straight up,and their man in a heap for 5-6 mins and has to come off!

• My good lady wife made a good comment after that. "How hard must Bayos' head be, the guy who smashed into him, no doubt, would say "very"!

• The lad who went into him was a unit, too. Felt rather sorry for him and hope no ill-effects; he went in illegitimately hard but it was a committed rather than dirty challenge - he hurt himself form the clash of heads that was caused by both going for the ball.

• @HCblue said:
    The lad who went into him was a unit, too. Felt rather sorry for him and hope no ill-effects; he went in illegitimately hard but it was a committed rather than dirty challenge - he hurt himself form the clash of heads that was caused by both going for the ball.

It was an idiotic challenge as there was an 18 stoner in between him and the ball, and he had utterly no chance of getting near it! Not to mention being in his own box!

• I felt it was mostly a clean game. The red card was late rather than malicious, based on comments by GA and Bloomers, and the lad came in and apologized to Matt afterwards too.

• @Shev when the red card happened that's exactly what I said to my mate. Hadn't been any nastiness in the game at all. Came right out of the blue

• @chairboyscentral said:

@thedieharder said:
    4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Which one is best for us?

Depends on the opposition and/or opposition, but we are certainly adaptable. I suspect we'll go 4-4-2 on Tuesday to try and match up with Ipswich. The 4-3-1-2 worked to perfection against Rotherham too.

Ipswich could go 5-2-1-2

• They tried a 3-5-2 for a couple of games and lost both.

• Free bag of crisps for whoever starts the chant: "Give me an N..."

• edited November 2019

I assume it's a Nigerian custom. Tammy Abraham has a similarly long sequence of names, the first of which is Kevin.