Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Watching the sky commentary on my phone laying on a lounger next to the pool in Tenerife. All the bar staff now Wanderers fans and might have upset a few folks when I saw the pen go in with a “get in!!!” Shout but who cares. Top of the league and having a laugh!!!!! Will wear my Wycombe shirt to the karaoke tonight, maybe a rendition of “the wanderer” might be in order. COYB!!!!!!!

• Poor game, but doesn't matter a jot.
    So important to see off the 10men, as two games in a row would have made it become an unsettling issue.

Their man smashing Bayo down in the air was astounding! Probably only the second player to floor Bayo in 4 years! But smashing into him, then having him land on you is only ending one way!

• Can't wait to see the video of Bayo getting the penalty!

• Sometimes this type of win is more satisfying. There is always that lurking feeling a heartbreaking cup exit could snowball, so to beat ten (then nine) men, even by the slimmest of margins, is just lovely!

Really enjoyed Smyth, Samuel and Wheeler playing together today. I did feel we needed to get through to Bayo time at least level, and it all worked out perfectly.

• edited November 2019

Four clean sheets in a row for the first time in three years. Haven't scored from open play in 8/10 games in all competitions, but then we have scored in 7 of those 8 (the exception being the 0-1 loss v Stevenage). Have scored in ten consecutive league games - not sure when we last managed that, must have been quite a while ago. Smyth back boosts our open play creativity, and getting Aarons in the side for a sustained period will also help with that - as will the return of Fred, hopefully for Burton in a few weeks. Ofoborh was excellent on both sides of the ball today, particularly impressing with his passing ability - completed 17/24 and I think only badly misplaced one. It's a different, calmer place from the early season madness, but I like it.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Have scored in ten consecutive league games - not sure when we last managed that, must have been quite a while ago.

Oh, it was November-December last year.

• edited November 2019

There was scrap in the home end apparently, what looked like it was aimed at drummer what people need to do is move away from him, if u don’t like it.

• The pen was hilarious, why did their defender make the challenge?! Rare to see Bayo go flying!

• Both teams seemed to suffer quite a few wayward passes and loose touches. I assume the conditions were quite poor. The pitch didn't look its best but it isn't that easy to tell watching online.

Credit to the whole team for their excellent work defending from the front. We give away very few real openings at the moment, affording the chance to grind out narrow wins like that.

In the end I thought it was just about deserved on balance, with their keeper making two excellent saves from Samuel to keep us out until the penalty. I did wonder if Freeman might come off the bench instead of one of the other subs. I think he would have been our best bet to unlock a defence sitting so deep.

As ever Doncaster looked tidy on the ball. They struggled to really penetrate though and lost out in a lot of 50/50s. They really should have tested Rocky with at least one of the 3-4 freekicks they had in shooting distance.

• Decent analysis @Glenactico.

We should have had an earlier penalty too. Looked like a very clear handball to me.

• edited November 2019

@uptheblues said:
    There was scrap in the home end apparently, what looked like it was aimed at drummer what people need to do is move away from him, if u don’t like it.

Thought all this anti drummer nonsense had died down. Tedious on the fb group week in week out.

• Is he on drugs ?

• edited November 2019

@DJWYC14 said:
    The pen was hilarious, why did their defender make the challenge?! Rare to see Bayo go flying!

An amazingly ill judged challenge that even the least aware ref couldn't miss.
    Think bayo landed on him too leading to that lengthy treatment then subbing. So an absolute nightmare for their guy!

Edit..just re watched it and he didn't land on him. It was simply the clattering into bayo that crocked him!

• Just to be clear @uptheblues is the drummer.

• I could watch the replay of that challenge all day.

• Another poor refereeing performance on the whole. Did anyone notice the Doncaster player joining our wall on a free-kick? Um, you're not allowed to do that anymore...

• Fantastic result given Ipswich drew, but I also thought we got lucky, not bringing on a player like Freeman at 0-0 to create an opening, we basically put as many forwards as we could high up, and was relying on Allsop to be the provider

• Anyone else unable to watch the highlights on iFollow? Just plays an ad for me then stops.

• Yes it seems to be doing that for all of the iFollow videos, even ones that were previously working.

• I thought it was just my ancient iPad, but I kept getting old footballers advertising betting by telling me not to bet much.

• A Gape-Thompson-Ofoborh midfield could work nicely. Agree that yesterday's game was crying out for Freeman. He is by far our most effective 'unlocker' and would have caused a few problems for the ten men.

Another poor refereeing performance on the whole. Did anyone notice the Doncaster player joining our wall on a free-kick? Um, you're not allowed to do that anymore...

Now I actually thought the referee was pretty good. I noticed a couple of times he had words about their players trying to get into our wall. If it was before that he may have missed it but if it was after I wonder whether he might have given up and would just have disallowed a goal if it had gone in?

There were a couple of handballs in the box, both could have been given these days but I didn’t - from my position in the FA stand - think that they were 100%.

Can’t recall much else I thought he’d got wrong. A bit lenient on yellow cards maybe? I thought Stewart(?) could easily have been booked for hauling someone back second half.

In terms of the game it wasn’t great from either side with our best spell 10-15 minutes before half time. Don’t think the weather helped much second half. But after Wednesday the result was the most important thing.

• The officiating at this level is consistently poor, so there's probably not much point complaining - but when you see players being grabbed by the throat (Charles in the first half) and taken a piggyback on (I think Samuel) and nothing is given, you can't help but despair. But hey, it's on the clubs to cough up for professional officials apparently.

• @Chris said:
    Just to be clear @uptheblues is the drummer.

Oddly id quoted him with my response. He then subsequently edited his original post (which had named an individual), and it edited the post id responded to.
    That's bizarre

• I edited both posts to remove the name of the person.

• Someone pointed out if some one is injured and has physio attention they don't now have to go off if the offender is booked.

Yet their man was red carded and bloomfield still had to go off after attention?
    Or is that different?

• 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Which one is best for us?

• Really impressed with Wheeler so far, he seems to win every header that he goes in for.

A Gape-Thompson-Ofoborh midfield could work nicely. Agree that yesterday's game was crying out for Freeman. He is by far our most effective 'unlocker' and would have caused a few problems for the ten men.

Out of interest, is it possible to get minutes per goal for both with and without Freeman on the pitch?