Skip to content

Joe Jacobson

Today, this man deserves his own thread more than ever. 500 appearances, our best ever left back having his best ever season, and one of the nicest people ever to pull on the quarters.

Comments

• Having a great season, so much so that no-one is talking about any weakenesses this year!
    Top scorer, in mid November from left back!

• To have generals like JJ, Bloomers and Bayo on the same team is quite incredible.

• We're more than fortunate to have him and in fact all involved in WWFC at every level. Congratulations to All.

• @Shev said:
    To have generals like JJ, Bloomers and Bayo on the same team is quite incredible.

Gaz mentioned four generals. I was trying to work out who the 4th actually was. Charles or Stewart presumably, more likely the former?!

• Yeah, JJ is an absolute legend. He, Charles, Blooms and Bayo set the tone for the whole squad, let's hope they stay fit for the season

• After a rocky patch at the end of last season, JJ has been imperious for us this season (even ignoring his enormous contributions from set-pieces). This is in no small part to our midfield taking their game up a gear or two and defending better higher up the pitch leaving our backline less exposed.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    After a rocky patch at the end of last season, JJ has been imperious for us this season (even ignoring his enormous contributions from set-pieces). This is in no small part to our midfield taking their game up a gear or two and defending better higher up the pitch leaving our backline less exposed.

Excellent post. The added protection this season has certainly helped Rocky too.

• Indeed, that’s spot on @ReadingMarginalista.

Good call on the dedicated JJ thread @drcongo, what a wonderful man he is.

• @drcongo said:
    Today, this man deserves his own thread more than ever. 500 appearances, our best ever left back having his best ever season, and one of the nicest people ever to pull on the quarters.

Couldn’t agree more. JJ is a wonderful player and a wonderful person. One of the shrewdest signings we’ve ever made and we’re lucky to have him.

• I was concerned towards the end of last season that JJ’s time was coming to an end and his future lay in accountancy! Instead he is rejuvenated and it was Adam El-A who was in decline. Wonder if having a young left back join the squad has spurred him on?

• Yes, got to feel for Jamie Mascoll-a very promising young player-being understudy to someone as good as JJ.

• I'd imagine that we will reap the benefits of Mascoll sharing a training pitch with JJ and learning off him in a few years time.

JJ is an easy pick for me in the greatest Wycombe side of the last 30 or so years since I've been watching us. An absolute class act.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    I was concerned towards the end of last season that JJ’s time was coming to an end and his future lay in accountancy! Instead he is rejuvenated and it was Adam El-A who was in decline. Wonder if having a young left back join the squad has spurred him on?

Someone got it right when saying it's helped him no end having someone who can run next to him! Bit harsh, but probably not far off the truth.

• Top scorer now, and let it sink in that we have a left back on pace for 15 goals!

• Incidentally, I spoke to JJ after his MOM display and he confirmed that he was injured, not rested for the Tranmere cup tie. In fact, he needed a fitness test before playing today. He passed that and the game itself with flying colours.

• Interesting @glasshalffull. JJ certainly merited the MoM award but, having seen him in action for a whole game (I’d only seen a couple of cameos previously), I thought it would have a great gesture and confidence booster to give it to Nnamdi Ofoborh. Very impressive today.

• It was Nnamdi’s best game for us but JJ was superb and kept so focused during that long delay before the penalty.

• Nnamdi my MOTM, closely followed by JJ.

• JJ has been amazing this season. I thought that he was done at the end of last season. The first choice back 5 have been outstanding

• edited November 2019

Nnamdi was excellent yesterday, showed more of what he promised in that first game for us.

Hopefully the first bit of transfer window news in January will be an extension of Darius' contract. Closely followed by Gape. Surely he'll want to stick around now.

• Thompson deserves a shout out too

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Nnamdi was excellent yesterday, showed more of what he promised in that first game for us.

Hopefully the first bit of transfer window news in January will be an extension of Darius' contract. Closely followed by Gape. Surely he'll want to stick around now.

Darius needs to be signed up until June, like yesterday. He’s proven himself with his injury and his quality at CB. He’s another leader

• @wwfcblue said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

Darius needs to be signed up until June, like yesterday. He’s proven himself with his injury and his quality at CB. He’s another leader

I think he will get a minimum of 18 months extension in January. He’s proven his worth and deserves a new contract.

• Is it ok to still say something is ‘proved’ ?

Whilst on this subject (off-thread and I apologise for that) the past tense of lead is led - not lead (unlike with read and read). Many times on here and on COTN I’ve been stopped in my tracks when reading things like “he lead the line superbly last season.”

• Well said Micra, I have to bite my typing fingers to not react to every one of those. Almost in the same category as 'less' and 'fewer', which, once appreciated, can never be un-noticed!

• edited November 2019

I always wonder with the less/fewer one, as surely more and less are opposites, so it stands to reason you can have more, or less of something? It's one of the more understandable errors.

Whereas the sort of halfwit who writes "Your their every week", like someone wrote on one of the fb groups today, is utterly dreadful.

• @micra said:
    Is it ok to still say something is ‘proved’ ?

Whilst on this subject (off-thread and I apologise for that) the past tense of lead is led - not lead (unlike with read and read). Many times on here and on COTN I’ve been stopped in my tracks when reading things like “he lead the line superbly last season.”

As the great Stan Laurel said: "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead."

• I agree JJ is a great player for us.

But he was awful first half. A regular long term supporter turned to me and said 'is JJ hungover?'

As he kicked to touch