Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup *Replay*)

Comments

• And they had Gordon Banks in goal!

• If it had gone to pens, he probably would have saved them all.

• Speaking of 'keepers, did anyone else notice Rocky wincing and holding his side after the winner? We could really do without an injury there! He didn't stay down so hopefully no problem.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Speaking of 'keepers, did anyone else notice Rocky wincing and holding his side after the winner? We could really do without an injury there! He didn't stay down so hopefully no problem.

Think he was just embarrassed to let it in, I'll need to watch the replay, but at the time I thought he should have saved it

• edited November 2019

It's fairly pointless getting shocked that some of our fans are ott , have different opinions or just talk rubbish, always was, always will be. Some of them still sing agh agh agh for ten minutes after every "you're Sh*t agh" chant and laugh uncontrollably.

• Didn't think the goalie was great btw, lots of early shots seemed to be right at him or stubbed at funny angles with no power. Later on we got the disease that lower premier league players seem to love : stepover , check back, avoid the obvious open pass, congratulate yourself and go again

• Yeah, you're probably right - although I'm not surprised by it, just find it extra sad considering all we've got going for us at the moment. A win on Saturday will see to that! And a win on Tuesday, well...

• Disappointing but we all move on to Saturday, which is suddenly very soon up.

At least JJ, Bloomfield and Charles will be totally fresh. Bayo only played a half, and Thompson came off fairly early too.

Maybe start Wheeler and Ofoborh, and hope Arrons is back, and all of a sudden fatigue shouldn't be too huge an issue.

It's a very big case of going absolutely all in for these next 2, and then everyone can have a big break to recharge.

• I am feeling as down and miserable about going out of the FA Cup last night, after throwing away a winning position against ten man opposition, as I did after Preston North End totally stuffed us and ended our progress in the FA Cup in 2017/18.

Having said that, we did end up getting promoted at the end of the 2017/18 season.

• There's a good chance Peterborough will be in the third round, which would take that game off the end of our brutal run.

• Such a dissapointing evening but a real statement on where the priority for the season is. Personally I think a win last night was vital but that clearly isn't the case at the club ftom the trully awful kids programme to the team selection to the substitutions.

I have to assume Bayo was injured because swapping at half time without this made no sense and was a major turning point.

The sending off was harsh but gave Tranmere a purpose and they stuck to it really well. The equiliser gave them the remit to sit and defend.

One odd thing for me on the night was the substituted Tranmere player who strolled off across the full width of pitch. He'd been booked and should have been booked again for this. Was the ref a competition winner?

Once more in cups are squad depth is shown up a bit. All good players but we do have sone key players we miss when they are not there. Would have been a different night with JJ taking those 20 corners.

• Apparently the ref has to tell the subbed player where to go off?

• The ref seemed in a daz all night. After the sending off he wouldn't let Grimmer stay on but after a booking in the second half the player was allowed. He wasn't in the least bothered by the game management and every time he ignored the level went up.
    Was he the same ref as the first game?

• I'll be honest, I was so cold last night that I just wanted it to end

Horrible going out of the cup, it always it. Especially when the path towards the 3rd rd was as it was this season, and with a bit of cash at stake as well.

Just got to suck it up and get over it I'm afraid. We go out of the cup every season, and we've all survived this long, however annoying it is at the time.

Anyone seen a replay of the disallowed goal btw? Was Smyth definitely offside? I imagine he was as the linesmen usually get these right but it's impossible to tell from behind the goal

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The ref seemed in a daz all night. After the sending off he wouldn't let Grimmer stay on but after a booking in the second half the player was allowed. He wasn't in the least bothered by the game management and every time he ignored the level went up.

Nope, we hadn't had him since Charlton away last season. We've got another Salisbury on Saturday actually. Hopefully not his twin brother!

The ref seemed in a daz all night. After the sending off he wouldn't let Grimmer stay on but after a booking in the second half the player was allowed. He wasn't in the least bothered by the game management and every time he ignored the level went up.

Grimmer had medical attention, so had to go off surely?
    Did the other player? If he stayed on, that's just poor reffing for sure.

Some refs aren't very aware of time wasting unfortunately.

• no Malone, if a player receives medical attention but it was caused by a player who is booked for it then they don't have to leave the field of play

BFK

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Nope, we hadn't had him since Charlton away last season. We've got another Salisbury on Saturday actually. Hopefully not his twin brother!

his son, I believe!

• I'm with @Ned_Ludd on this. The timing of the sending off & our goal gave them the perfect platform to be more resolute and 100% focused on a plan for the second half of soak up the pressure and hit us on the counter attack.
    Yes, we helped out with a bit of poor defending but from the moment they equalised they would have settled for penalties. Given their keeper was getting his eye in with more and more saves I'm sad to say I think they'd have won it too.
    Sometimes you do have to acknowledge that the opposition had a plan and played it out very effectively. Credit where it's due to Tranmere.

The bigger picture is to see how we recover and perform in the next two games which now have a feeling of being almost season defining.

COYB!

• @eric_plant said:
    no Malone, if a player receives medical attention but it was caused by a player who is booked for it then they don't have to leave the field of play

BFK

Obvs a rule change I've missed.

• edited November 2019

@Twizz said:
    I'm with @Ned_Ludd on this. The timing of the sending off & our goal gave them the perfect platform to be more resolute and 100% focused on a plan for the second half of soak up the pressure and hit us on the counter attack.
    Yes, we helped out with a bit of poor defending but from the moment they equalised they would have settled for penalties. Given their keeper was getting his eye in with more and more saves I'm sad to say I think they'd have won it too.
    Sometimes you do have to acknowledge that the opposition had a plan and played it out very effectively. Credit where it's due to Tranmere.

The bigger picture is to see how we recover and perform in the next two games which now have a feeling of being almost season defining.

COYB!

How is conceding a goal on half time in any way a perfect platform? It's generally regarded as being a terrible time to concede.

Their game plan wouldn't have worked 9 times out of 10. Freeman hits the bar at 1-0, countless other bits and pieces, and a terrible couple of errors by us for their first goal too.

However, Tranmere can certainly be delighted with a supreme effort. 10men for in effect the length of a normal game is one heck of a shift, away at the top of the league team!

• A platform is a base, something you work up from.
    I'm pretty sure the manager used it as motivation for how they played out the second half. They knew they would have to defend deep and not conceed again.
    The fact we gifted them the equaliser was a bonus to them.

• @eric_plant said:

Anyone seen a replay of the disallowed goal btw? Was Smyth definitely offside? I imagine he was as the linesmen usually get these right but it's impossible to tell from behind the goal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50497066.

Inconclusive to be honest. Possibly played on by the left back?

One day maybe we will develop a system to tell for sure but last night best we had was some bloke with a flag trying to judge in a split second the exact moment of the guy taking the shot an attacker running forward and a defending running out.

I suspect he probably got this one just right.

Such a dissapointing evening but a real statement on where the priority for the season is. Personally I think a win last night was vital but that clearly isn't the case at the club ftom the trully awful kids programme to the team selection to the substitutions.

I have to assume Bayo was injured because swapping at half time without this made no sense and was a major turning point.

The sending off was harsh but gave Tranmere a purpose and they stuck to it really well. The equiliser gave them the remit to sit and defend.

One odd thing for me on the night was the substituted Tranmere player who strolled off across the full width of pitch. He'd been booked and should have been booked again for this. Was the ref a competition winner?

Once more in cups are squad depth is shown up a bit. All good players but we do have sone key players we miss when they are not there. Would have been a different night with JJ taking those 20 corners.

Have to agree, come the end of the season, you cant refer back to 'If Lady luck shined on us against Tranmere, we could have made a lot of money"
    When ever you play a cup game, and dont play your strongest available team, you run the risk of being eliminated.
    Bar having lots of pace, Phillips has shown little to convince me he is an able replacement for Stewart or Charles.
    Maybe it was because i was brought up in the Isthmian lge days of the 70's and 80's,
    when advancement in the fA Cup was the be all and end all of a season.
    I just find it a sad indictment of modern football, that managers are prepared to risk losing games by fielding weakened teams, in the world's oldest and most illustrious cup competition.

• See, I like the FA Cup but have never fully embraced the romance of it - probably because of the simple fact that I've grown in up in era when it's become less and less important/taken less and less seriously.

• The rotations looked sound on paper.

We left out three of our older boys, who will surely struggle to play weekend, midweek, weekend. And without a reserve team you risk ending up a number of players not getting any competitive football.

Phillips is very green and misjudges a few balls that our senior centre backs don't. He's also a lot less of an aerial force than our main guys, plus Sido.
    Not at all sure he should be ahead of Sido, though obviously Sido was missing for personal reasons last night.

• Felt offside at the time from Smyth's reaction. Much preferred the quick and decisive decision from a linesmen than waiting even longer in the cold for VAR to look over it.

• @ChasHarps said:

Such a dissapointing evening but a real statement on where the priority for the season is. Personally I think a win last night was vital but that clearly isn't the case at the club ftom the trully awful kids programme to the team selection to the substitutions.

Have to agree, come the end of the season, you cant refer back to 'If Lady luck shined on us against Tranmere, we could have made a lot of money"
    When ever you play a cup game, and dont play your strongest available team, you run the risk of being eliminated.
    Bar having lots of pace, Phillips has shown little to convince me he is an able replacement for Stewart or Charles.
    Maybe it was because i was brought up in the Isthmian lge days of the 70's and 80's,
    I just find it a sad indictment of modern football, that managers are prepared to risk losing games by fielding weakened teams, in the world's oldest and most illustrious cup competition.

Did we field a weakend team though?

Charles can only play a game a week and JJ often sits out midweek games.

I think that we fielded the best we had available.

• @Vincey said:

@ChasHarps said:

Did we field a weakend team though?

Charles can only play a game a week and JJ often sits out midweek games.

I think that we fielded the best we had available.

Exactly this, Charles was never going to play, and JJ has missed other mid week games. If that's what they need to be able to last the season then we have to accept that.

Other than those two it was full strength. The only question mark for me was Bayo going off, I'm assuming he had a knock, if it was tactical then in hind sight it was a mistake.

• @Malone said:
    The rotations looked sound on paper.

We left out three of our older boys, who will surely struggle to play weekend, midweek, weekend. And without a reserve team you risk ending up a number of players not getting any competitive football.

Phillips is very green and misjudges a few balls that our senior centre backs don't. He's also a lot less of an aerial force than our main guys, plus Sido.
    Not at all sure he should be ahead of Sido, though obviously Sido was missing for personal reasons last night.

Agree that Sido should be ahead of Phillips for the time being - and that should ultimately benefit Phillips - but the latter has won more in the air than any of our other defenders this season bar (and I find this really weird) Adam El-Abd.