Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup *Replay*)

Comments

• Could be a season defining game/result. Losing at home to 10 men could be the start of a decline

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    FFS - out of the cup and knackered for Saturday. Double blow, not to mention the loss of that money.

Playing an extra 30 mins won't knacker us. Why don't we take the view that it will make us fitter?

I feel sorry for the poor Chichester fans having to go up there now.

Other than that, let's move on, starting with Saturday.

• Oh well, back to the important stuff. No distractions from the league now, let's go on the greatest journey we've ever been on in that instead! Out of interest, who also voted for winning Sunday and losing tonight in that poll?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Oh well, back to the important stuff. No distractions from the league now, let's go on the greatest journey we've ever been on in that instead! Out of interest, who also voted for winning Sunday and losing tonight in that poll?

Bastards.

• Never seen a more one sided game we should of been well out site and normally would be with that display just wasn't ment to be

• @TheComebackKid said:
    Could be a season defining game/result. Losing at home to 10 men could be the start of a decline

Or we might come back even more determined.

• @TheComebackKid said:
    Could be a season defining game/result. Losing at home to 10 men could be the start of a decline

You think we're going to lose all the confidence (and in a different competition) we've built up just like that?

• Who knows? Look at Tottenham. Champions League finalists and look what's happened since

• @TheComebackKid said:
    Who knows? Look at Tottenham. Champions League finalists and look what's happened since

Always better to look on the bright side, eh?

• @TheComebackKid said:

Could be a season defining game/result. Losing at home to 10 men could mean we resolve to go the rest of the season unbeaten. Sorry, you’re right. Meaningless, hypothetical bullsh*t.

Has someone been smearing ketchup on your face again?

• Is the bright side two free Saturdays in December?

• Where is Richie?

• Really disappointed tonight, was concerned before the game, but first half we were in control, and got the goal at a great time, added to them being a man down.

Second half was complacent and Mellon deserves credit. Went to a flat back 4, played 2 quick strikers and Ferrier's pace again causes us a problem and he scores from a counter.

After that it was huffing and puffing from us - the big error was taking off Bayo at HT thinking it was job done. Samuel was dreadful tonight and did nothing of note.

The other subs were poor too and also smacked of complacency. Bringing off some of our best performers, and players, in Thompson, plus the pace of Kashket and Smyth. That said the absence of Bayo was what changed the game.

So disappointed and would still vote the same way as I did before these matches (i.e. would have rather lost Sunday and won tonight). What a missed opportunity both financially and in terms of cup progression and excitement.

• Defeat has cost us a minimum of £125,000 . Let’s hope Tranmere don’t draw a Premier League team away in the third round. Does the defeat , show we need a proven goals scorer in January if we are going to get to the next level.

• Have seen some (on Twitter) suggesting that we don't have sufficient strength in depth. I'd have to disagree completely. Did they not see an even more rotated side come close to beating Reading? Never ceases to amaze me how badly some fans overreact. We're top of the league, ffs.

• If we want to score more goals maybe take some more shots, lost count of sideways and backward passed. Part one game too many, part playing style I think. We are probably more likely to win a man down than a man up.

• Thing is, whilst it may have appeared to us, it was complacency, we don't know for sure. Bayo could have played too much lately and may have asked to come off. Thompson was knackered Sunday, "cramping up" near the end of the game according to GA. As they had gone to a defensive 4-4-1 maybe Wheeler was brought on to bring that "game changing moment" that he is capable of. Parker was the one for me though, out wide again, can't help but think that he is a better centre forward and maybe we should have moved to a 4-4-2 to accommodate Parker & Samuels. Who'd be a manager eh?

• Would have hoped some that were given opportunities to prove a point tonight (Pattison for example) might have shown a bit more though?

To be fair to Parker I thought he had a couple of decent efforts when he came on

Mascott and Phillips - meh. Don't think that equaliser happens with Charles & JJ on the left of defence frankly.

• I wasn’t there, but stats say we had 19 shots, 10 on target so not sure that was the reason we lost.

• edited November 2019

@DJWYC14 said:
    Would have hoped some that were given opportunities to prove a point tonight (Pattison for example) might have shown a bit more though?

To be fair to Parker I thought he had a couple of decent efforts when he came on

Mascott and Phillips - meh. Don't think that equaliser happens with Charles & JJ on the left of defence frankly.

Mascoll and Phillips are both very early in their professional careers and have done well in general, but they are still learning. They will only get better. Let's not go being too critical of such inexperienced players.

• We were unlucky not to win and played some lovely stuff, on another day we could of won 5-2 not need to panic

• edited November 2019

I think Parker will end up getting quite a few goals, and I'd like to see him given a proper run in the side; he should have come on for Bayo imo, although that's easier to say with the hindsight of having seen Samuel have a rare off day.

• Why are people saying Kashket and Smyth were terrible tonight? I don't think they were bad at all? Embarrassing performance in general

• @glasshalffull said:
    I wasn’t there, but stats say we had 19 shots, 10 on target so not sure that was the reason we lost.

Guessing the split has most in the first half. All the decent efforts were.

If we aren't going to play Bayo for 90+ minutes every week we probably are short a centre forward. Difficult to know if they were playing to a different set plan but it was crying out for someone to step up as a proper centre forward after he went off and none of the three really did. I like Mascoll going forward, some decent control, pace and crossing, maybe winger potential in a 442.

Season far from over but a win at the weekend would be a huge bounce back for spirit

• We weren't even bad. Filed under not our night for me

• @chairboyscentral said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    Would have hoped some that were given opportunities to prove a point tonight (Pattison for example) might have shown a bit more though?

Mascoll and Phillips are both very early in their professional careers and have done well in general, but they are still learning. They will only get better. Let's not go being too critical of such inexperienced players.

Of course. It's just very frustrating to be out of the FA Cup, and to have lost out on a potential windfall which could also harm our capability to carry out effective January transfer activity. Not going to enjoy having no game from 26th November until 14th December when we could have been competing in the FA Cup and bringing in important funds. At 1-0 up at HT vs 10 men I think it was a complacent performance thereafter which started with the Bayo sub. A gamble that didn't pay off and with consequences.

First half we played some good stuff and fully deserved our lead which makes it all the more frustrating.

As for other posts above I agree that Kashket and Smyth did well. Samuel was the under-par performer up top.

• Did anyone else feel like we were kind of conserving energy?

• Can people please be a bit more sympathetic to all the doom mongers and misery merchants coming out of the woodwork tonight?

It’s been a very, very difficult season for them so far as Wycombe fans.

• @DJWYC14 said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@DJWYC14 said:

Of course. It's just very frustrating to be out of the FA Cup, and to have lost out on a potential windfall which could also harm our capability to carry out effective January transfer activity. Not going to enjoy having no game from 26th November until 14th December when we could have been competing in the FA Cup and bringing in important funds. At 1-0 up at HT vs 10 men I think it was a complacent performance thereafter which started with the Bayo sub. A gamble that didn't pay off and with consequences.

First half we played some good stuff and fully deserved our lead which makes it all the more frustrating.

As for other posts above I agree that Kashket and Smyth did well. Samuel was the under-par performer up top.

Maybe the gamble was starting Bayo for 45 not taking him off, he probably needs the rest.