Skip to content

Ipswich trains

Anyone worked out how to do this?

The station is only 5 minutes away but would probably still have to leave before our last minute winner and celebration to catch the 21.43. The 22.43 wouldn't get to London in time for the last train to Wycombe.

Frustrating.

Comments

• I was looking at this yesterday. There's a later met line train you can get from Liverpool Street, but you'd either have to get off at Chalfont or Chesham and get a taxi for the rest of the journey, making an already expensive trip even more expensive

The return to Ipswich is pretty extortionate as well

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2019

Think if going by train it's cheaper to buy 2x advance singles for £10 each (London-Ipswich/Ips-Lon), plus your London travelcard from Wyc. @railwaysteve needs to clarify this.

I'm leaning towards stopping over and giving my combine harvester key to a tractor girl

• The Couhigs should surely be looking at hiring out some large farmhouse and laying on some beers and a place to sleep after the game?

• I bumped into Rob Couhig the other day and he said he's in talks with Lovejoy who may have access to a vacant manor house nearby. Apparently Tinker can get his hands on some knock-off booze.

• Reminds me of the 2002 World Cup in Japan. England were playing Denmark in the last 16 in Niigata. At the train station we asked the information desk for details of hotels for the night. She informed us that there were no rooms available in the whole city, so the local mayor had arranged an all night rave where the supporters could spend the night! Luckily we won 3 nil and a great night ensued.

Can you imagine that happening in Europe? Way ahead the Japanese. Way ahead.

• The other thing about that met line train btw is that if you wait until the end of the game it gives you about 10 minutes to get from the train to the underground, which is fine if it's on time

If the train is 10 minutes late though you're stranded in the city

• I saw the thread title and thought “not for me, boring stuff probably” but glad I dipped in. Lovely stuff from @LX1 and I was there with him in Japan.

• You must have been that guy handing out 'sweets'.

• Must I? I’m sure I would have done if I’d been there literally @LX1 - not just in spirit as I was when I read your post. “Sweets” are of course a euphemism.

• The last Met line tube only goes as far as Rickmansworth and arrives at 1 in the morning. The train to catch from Ipswich to meet this tube leaves at 2223. This would mean parking at Rickmansworth - that's my plan.

• Is anyone driving to Ipswich then (because of the train difficulty)? I'm currently living in Oxford and would love to go, so would be very interested in a lift with anyone driving from the Oxford area!

• Someone lay out the reasoning for me to make the effort to go to this, rather than just whack a tenner down and whisk the ifollow out...

• edited November 2019

Indeed @Malone and the Club get £8. To be fair, I hope we get a reasonable following as the boys will appreciate the support. Sadly I can't make it as I'm committed too late in the afternoon to consider travel.

• @Malone said:
    Someone lay out the reasoning for me to make the effort to go to this, rather than just whack a tenner down and whisk the ifollow out...

It's a top of the table clash. You must be able see why people would want to be there?

• @Malone said:
    Someone lay out the reasoning for me to make the effort to go to this, rather than just whack a tenner down and whisk the ifollow out...

First v second? first ever meeting in the league? new ground? one of the most historic names in English football (and Ipswich). how many reasons do you need?

• @eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

It's a top of the table clash. You must be able see why people would want to be there?

I meant me especially, a "floating" away fan.

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:

First v second? first ever meeting in the league? new ground? one of the most historic names in English football (and Ipswich). how many reasons do you need?

All good points. Trying to force myself to make the effort after bottling the Tranmere aways.

• Will be a weird experience for me. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I used to live halfway between Ipswich and Norwich and used to go to Portman Road quite often (Carrow Road occasionally). I vividly remember about 40 years ago going to a packed Portman Road to see a top of the table clash between Ipswich (they were really good then) and Liverpool in front of 30000 followed a week or two later by riding a fairly unroadworthy MZ motorbike down the A12 to watch Wycombe play in front of around 300 at Barking and lose 2-0 I think.

The thought then that we would one day play a top of the league game at Ipswich would lead to accusations of me partaking voluminous quantities of whatever it is that gets @LX1 (just kidding) through the night.

• As about a 10 year old on pee wee football training, one of the lads who coached us said he supported Ipswich.
    Always remembered that as it was the first time I'd ever even heard of them.

• @bookertease says - The thought then that we would one day play a top of the league game at Ipswich would lead to accusations of me partaking voluminous quantities of whatever it is that gets @LX1 (just kidding) through the night.

I’m sure no one would ever accuse you of anything like that! ?

• Group save for 3 or more people from HWY - Ipswich is £34.25 per person, so you can comeback the next day after 09.30.
    Im in a party of 10 that have booked a hotel and are going to enjoy the delights of sunny/sleepy Suffolk.

• Popular bastad!

• The said party contains a number of Tomaz Tikov's, and possibly a Gloria Hunter !!

• Guess it would probably be too short notice now, but if both us and Ipswich went out of the Cup tonight, I wonder if there would be any chance of playing the game on the 2nd round Saturday?