Skip to content

Is veganism in sport cheating?

Finally caught up with The Game Changers on Netflix the other night. Obviously I appreciate it is a very one-sided documentary but it got me wondering what if any contribution veganism within the squad has had on our achievements this season to date. I was intrigued to see the wife (a professional chef) of one of the US football players preparing plant-based meals for the team and then stumbled across this article suggesting Josh Parker's fiancee does similar.

https://www.planetprotein.com/blogs/blog/wycombe-wanderers-vegan-footballers-defy-the-odds

Any thoughts?

Here is the trailer.

Comments

• Unless you're eating steroids, testosterone and cocaine I think most diets are okay if you can okay!

• It’s okay if you can okay? You not awake yet @Wendoverman ?

• This is a very easy no isn't it. Much the same way as practicing set pieces or passing the ball in the air to someone who is good in the air isn't illegal although it's clearly morally unacceptable to our opponents.

• Yes, its desperately unfair that some players diets give them better performance.

I'd like to see a 'traditional terrace diet' rigorously enforced on all professional players - cheeseburgers, chips, bovril, twix bars and beers only.

That way some of our more out of shape supporters would have a better shot at being a pro player.

• Supporters can volunteer for FFIT, which is highly recommended and provides interesting education regarding diet. However, Darius Charles is clearly a huge cheat and we shouldn't be marveling at the wonder of his story and fantastic efforts. Anyway, I like Mango's!

• I can see what you're getting at, as there are certain plant extracts that are on banned substance lists in athletics.

Mo Farah for one readily admits he sampled one, before it went onto the banned list.

I get the feeling that in 100 years or so, people will look back on eating meat like we look back on people thinking cigarettes were clever!

• You're absolutely correct @Malone, however 'extracts' suggest a degree of specific processing of something into a special product, as opposed to just diet/lifestyle choices.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    You're absolutely correct @Malone, however 'extracts' suggest a degree of specific processing of something into a special product, as opposed to just diet/lifestyle choices.

Oh yes completely - your average Vegan/Veggie just eats standard food of the lifestyle. They're not tampering with the makeup of it!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Yes, its desperately unfair that some players diets give them better performance.

I'd like to see a 'traditional terrace diet' rigorously enforced on all professional players - cheeseburgers, chips, bovril, twix bars and beers only.

That way some of our more out of shape supporters would have a better shot at being a pro player.

I've often marvelled at the sight of some wobbly, beer-bellied lump hurling abuse at a professional footballer for a perceived lack of pace, fitness or commitment.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    Yes, its desperately unfair that some players diets give them better performance.

I've often marvelled at the sight of some wobbly, beer-bellied lump hurling abuse at a professional footballer for a perceived lack of pace, fitness or commitment.

Like I've seen young Wycombe fans going ape abusing a balding player, stood right next to a bald mate of theirs!

• Is being a vegan cheating? What a ridiculous question.

Certain performance enhancing substances are banned because their use could significantly endanger the health of the user and offer a competitive advantage.

A change in diet might give you an advantage but vegetables are not dangerous.

• @Glenactico said:

It depends what you're doing with them in fairness.

• A sack of spuds dropped on your head from six storeys up is hardly harmless.

• @Glenactico said:

I have several fiends and family members whom would disagree with that, although they were mostly downwind!

• @micra said:

Indeed...often they are literally not fit to wear the shirt but manage to squeeze into one.

• @micra said:
    It’s okay if you can okay? You not awake yet @Wendoverman ?

okay okay okay....I meant play okay? (I was not awake yet...)

• Crisp withdrawal symptoms @Wendoverman?

• @mooneyman said:
    Crisp withdrawal symptoms @Wendoverman?

I had to drive someone to Stoke Mandeville early doors and breakfast, crisp and coffee-less made the mistake of trying to post on the Gasroom. All those nurses interrupting me with their crash trollies and CPR...they aren't quiet.

• @OxfordBlue said:

You forgot @Wendovermans' crisp rations on that list @OxfordBlue!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@OxfordBlue said:

You forgot @Wendovermans' crisp rations on that list @OxfordBlue!

Crisps are always half-time energy and salt boosters as any fule kno

• @Glenactico said:
    Is being a vegan cheating? What a ridiculous question.

Yes it was a silly question with hindsight. I wonder if our veganism will eventually become a staple feature in future opposition views alongside time wasting, fouling, luck etc.

• @Onlooker said:

@Glenactico said:
    Is being a vegan cheating? What a ridiculous question.

Yes it was a silly question with hindsight. I wonder if our veganism will eventually become a staple feature in future opposition views alongside time wasting, fouling, luck etc.

Do many of our players follow veganism? Josh P might, but without being harsh, it could be argued he's not the biggest contributer to our season so far.

• I think Charles and Parker are vegan, and Wheeler and Thompson are vegetarian.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    A sack of spuds dropped on your head from six storeys up is hardly harmless.

Indeed, you’d most likely have had your chips.

• We know what we eat we know what we eat
    we're largely plant based
    we know what we eat

• @Chris said:
    I think Charles and Parker are vegan, and Wheeler and Thompson are vegetarian.

Yep. Wheeler is suffering from the same addiction that's stopping me going vegan: cheese.

• Feeble excuse. You can get vegan cheese now @chairboyscentral !

• Keeping it vegan but not football - Richmond meat-free sausages are the business. I've not eaten meat or fish for over 30 years but reckon they're as close to proper old school bangers as you can get. Weirdly they hide them in the meat aisles at Tesco and Sainsbury's.

• Beyond BBQ, who I'm hoping will be at more games in future, are absolutely amazing - if on the pricey side.

• edited November 2019

'This (isn't)' stuff is excellent too: https://this.co/products/