Skip to content

Quiz: Wycombe's FA Cup replay opponents

edited November 2019 in Football

To get you in the mood for Wednesday. I'm hoping it works properly... https://www.sporcle.com/games/chairboyscentral/wycombe-wanderers-fa-cup-replay-opponents

Comments

• I think that's going to take some beating!

• I wasted time trying to get the correct spelling of Worcester city, but now realise the question wasnt all replay opponents !!!!

• 25/30 - timed out - can't believe four of my misses, although wouldn't have got 65/66 if there had been 100 minutes available - brilliant quiz, brought back some great memories

• @ChasHarps said:
    I wasted time trying to get the correct spelling of Worcester city, but now realise the question wasnt all replay opponents !!!!

I did try Leek Town

• This was quite easy to research, I'm guessing the FA Trophy would take a bit more digging.

• 14 which is quite shocking, especially as I was panic typing any old club in near the end.

One non league team counting for 5 answers was a bit of a rip though!

Should have got Villa though in fairness!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    This was quite easy to research, I'm guessing the FA Trophy would take a bit more digging.

Easy to research, but maybe not in a 10min countdown.

• The days of multiple replays must have been absolute carnage - baffles me as I've only ever known single replays.

• Oops, I missed one out. Have added it!

• "Can you name every team Wycombe have faced in an FA Cup replay?"
    A bit misleading as a fair few missed out ?

• 25/31. Strange how I can't remember some fixtures we had from just a few years ago, but others even from before I was born I knew straight away

• My source is the very reliable Chairboys on the Net, so I'd be surprised if I've missed any more.

• @ChasHarps said:
    "Can you name every team Wycombe have faced in an FA Cup replay?"
    A bit misleading as a fair few missed out ?

It doesn't include qualifying rounds

• I should probably have clarified "proper", I've just only seen Wycombe as a League club!

• FCHD is usually accurate for historical cup records and results

http://www.fchd.info/WYCOMBEW.HTM

1. Can't believe I missed Aston Villa, my mind went blank on that season.
  • The original Villa tie was great. I'd happily take any Premier League team at home IF we get to the third round.

• I still, even though I now know the answer, genuinely have no memory of playing Brighton in the FA Cup

• Wasn't the original tie 4-4 or something silly?

• Think you're correct @chairboyscentral. Seem to remember Murray giving us a torrid time in that game?

• Got a feeling (and I may be completely wrong) that Brighton tie was played at a time of the whole Booker Stadium, black and white protests. Seem to recall some of our old players, Horseman, Kennedy travelling to the replay. We lost comfortably

• I'm still amazed that I have zero recollection of a 4-4 draw in the FA Cup only 10 years ago. Also couldn't remember Crewe, although at least when I saw that answer I did remember playing them

Bit of a worry really. I remembered the likes of Boston and Kettering with absolutely no problem whatsoever

• edited November 2019

I did OK. Got 20, remembered Slough and brighton and Gillingham.

Forgot Middlesbrough........... How on earth can you forget a non league side drawing with a side top of the 1st division as it was then and then only losing to a last minute winner. Dribbling in my armchair cannot be far away.

• Remember the Brighton 4-4 well. Couple of red cards and Forster/Murray tore us apart and they could have scored more than 4. One of the more entertaining games under Waddock.

• Like @eric_plant for some reason I don't remember it, despite what must have been an absolutely insanely memorable game.

I remember a 4-3 home defeat v West Brom in the league cup, from way further back, so memory really is an odd thing.

• The replay was a really drab affair, a comfortable defeat at the soulless Withdean athletics stadium.

Remember it was the same night as the Henry handball against Ireland, it was the only topic talking about on the football coverage on the radio during the whole 2 hour drive back home!