Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

12346»

Comments

• Had a scroll through the Sunderland forum.
    The amount of them that still write us off as a horrible cheating team who will finish well off the play offs is breathtaking.

Sometimes once you've made your mind up there is literally no changing it is there!

• GA loves it when "Little Wycombe" are pigeon-holed like that, keeps their focus in the wrong direction.

• Would love to see Sunderland fans' reactions to the fact that our starting XI v them was the second oldest in League One this season.

• @Malone said:
    That second goal right on half time was an utter killer. It meant we could safely stick with what we had, and Tranmere were always going to have to produce something very special to get back into it.

What I dislike with commentary on games from other fans and managers is when they act like set piece goals are somehow less valid than other ones. Right up there with the "they had a gameplan" and "they do what they do well", type comments.

Set pieces are a huge part of the game at any level!

Look at Liverpool's set piece stats

• Look at City and Leicester's too

• I just hope we're not "winning the free kicks" by cheap tricks. As if ...
    But absolutely agree it's part of our game plan to create situations to load the box and launch the ball in the mixer as they say. And we have in JJ and Bayo a pretty good combination to make it work.
    Why is that somehow a less valid way to create the goal scoring opportunity than some slick passing move?
    Unless they start awarding style marks for each goal scored, a goal is a goal and that's all that matters.

• @Twizz said:
    Unless they start awarding style marks for each goal scored, a goal is a goal and that's all that matters.

Would that be more or less of a shambles than VAR?

• Don’t forget, every penalty we get makes us, statistically, a luckier team. Apparently.

• Oh no, what have I done, to even suggest that? Once an idea is out of the box ...

• I saw city launch a ball from the area to sterling but that is skilful play by internationals coached by the best manager in the world ??

• "Both games, in fairness, have been relatively close games. Although Wycombe sit on the top of the table in League One, with Rovers down in 18th, there hasn’t been much between the two sides over the course of the two recent fixtures.

In general play, and removing my rose-tinted spectacles, there hasn’t been a glaring gap of quality between the two teams."

I wasn't at the Cup game so couldn't comment other than on the goals, but in what universe was Sunday's game close? We put on a defensive masterclass and did the basics much better. I don't know whether to laugh or throw my laptop out the window."

http://www.roversrearguard.com/opinion/can-tranmere-put-league-disappointment-behind-them-to-make-fa-cup-progress/

• Probably the sort of fan that doesn't class set pieces as "proper" goals.

• Don't worry as people keep telling us, despite playing and competing successfully with all of the 'top' teams so far, we won't be anywhere near the top of the table.

• I wonder if we'd be as deluded if we were playing 'the right way'.

• Both Sunderland and Tranmere may well have been better at most things during the game and have most possession, we just pipped them in the scoring goals and not letting them score goals department. If they could just sort those two small things out they will walk this league.