Skip to content

Allsop reports homophobic abuse

Comments

• Anyone know what Allsopp is supposed to have done/said that 'forced' Tranmere fans to abuse him?

• The Tranmere forum is pretty depressing reading, with only about half of them condemning it, and the rest suggesting Allsop is the problem and 'you can't say anything these days'.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    The Tranmere forum is pretty depressing reading, with only about half of them condemning it, and the rest suggesting Allsop is the problem and 'you can't say anything these days'.

I would imagine that seeing as the Sky cameras and mikes have picked up the abuse they will also have picked up the 'offence' that Rocky is guilty of...unless of course the Southern bias media will, like the referee, give Wycombe everything and Tranmere nothing.

• FWIW, my favourite chant of the last few seasons is "2-0 & you f***ed it up", which I have had the pleasure of witnessing a few times at AP thanks to our never say die squad!

• I do love goalkeepers' interaction with away/home ends. Charlton's Dillon Phillips was getting called every name under the sun for taking his time over goal-kicks last season and just shrugged in the direction of those at the front of the terrace at full-time - which only seemed to make them more irate. Imagine if our own 'keeper took things so slowly when winning.

• @Wendoverman said:

Anyone know what Allsopp is supposed to have done/said that 'forced' Tranmere fans to abuse him?

Probably looked at them and smiled or something

• This incident reminds me of when I was looking through some old 'Adams Family' fanzines

A lot of it seems a lot more dated than I remember, especially this.

• Yep, we've all moved on

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:

This incident reminds me of when I was looking through some old 'Adams Family' fanzines

A lot of it seems a lot more dated than I remember, especially this.

I'm almost 100% certain that was a parody character, and actually the brunt of that joke were people who held such views. Unfortunately you've posted it there completely out of context

• @eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Not on the same level, but it would be nice if our fans stopped with the "We pay your benefits" and whatnot - just makes them sound uneducated as much as anything.

Completely agree. That was awful

As was "you shag your family"

As was "your support is f**king shit"

As was "you live in a shithole"

Cringeworthy

You can add you scouse b@stards or you dirty northern b@stards to the list.

Didn't bother me or my dad on Sunday and my daughter is too young to understand, but I don't fancy explaining to her in a couple of years time when we're playing Everton or Liverpool!!

• Have to admit to laughing at Millwall fans singing “you’re just a town full of Saviles” at Leeds.

• "Where's your Glitter gone" could also be sang at PNL fans, as they mourn Oxon's favourite son being incarcerated in Asia.

• I've been watching this debate unfold with interest. My immediate thought yesterday when the story broke was "How far down the line is this from the 'banter' certain fans chanted at Aaron Pierre a few weeks ago"?
    We quite rightly called that out as wrong and embarrassing on the gasroom, although I recall some tried to justify it.
    It just seems to me that once you start believing any abuse of opposition players / officials / your own players is only banter it's an all too short step for some to think that the kind of abuse alledgedly aimed at Allsop is actually okay.
    Personally I've never felt comfortable with many of the chants heard at football grounds. I even feel it's tempting fate to sing "You only sing when you're winning" or "X-0 and you f**ked it up" when your team comes back from a losing position.
    Maybe I'm just too old...

• edited November 2019

Southend fans still sing about how we fucked it up with 20 seconds to go - which is funny because they've irreversibly fucked up their season with more than 20 games to go.

• The old sheep trope shouted at opposition Welsh supporters has had its day, it’s a lazy derogatory stereotype and not particularly funny.
    Football has changed and is changing mostly for the better, with the exception of VAR) , let’s keep it up.

• I remember a West Ham supporting mate telling me (albeit sheepishly) that they had a Middle Eastern player for whom their chant was, "He'll do you three for a tenner, three for a te'nner..." Acceptable or no?

• @NorsQuarters said:
    I remember a West Ham supporting mate telling me (albeit sheepishly) that they had a Middle Eastern player for whom their chant was, "He'll do you three for a tenner, three for a te'nner..." Acceptable or no?

I'm afraid I laughed at this. I'll hand my season ticket back tomorrow.

• @NorsQuarters said:
    I remember a West Ham supporting mate telling me (albeit sheepishly) that they had a Middle Eastern player for whom their chant was, "He'll do you three for a tenner, three for a te'nner..." Acceptable or no?

I don't even get it

• Sorry to say nor do I @NorsQuarters.

• Think that probably means it's acceptable, as the people that are likely to take offence don't get it!

• Nope, it's about as classy as suggesting Son at spurs knocks out DVDs which I have heard. Tired old sh*te unless I've missed something hidden and hilarious.

All for slagging off players or refs for being rubbish or just not being on our team but singling out some for abuse because of their colour is very 70s and at least they could suggest then they didn't know any better rather than having read a whole thread on why.

• @eric_plant said:

@NorsQuarters said:

I don't even get it

Like many of these sort of things they rely on stereotypes.

Some are positive really - Germans and efficiency for instance.
    But many aren't like this one - oriental people supposedly doing a lot of bootlegging!
    There was a comedy show a few years ago called Phonejacker that had a Chinese character doing a very similar catchphrase!

• While we are on the topic, I wouldn’t personally use the word oriental. It seems a little old-fashioned.

• @Chris said:
    While we are on the topic, I wouldn’t personally use the word oriental. It seems a little old-fashioned.

A high percentage of businesses and hotels in the Orient incorporate the word 'oriental' - and I've yet to meet an oriental who would take even the slightest offence at the word.

That's political correctness gone mad. Way over the top.

• I'm completely confused now. The poster said the song was directed at a person of middle eastern player.

• oh......"political correctness gone mad" klaxon

• edited November 2019

Yes, it's definitely a minefield. I'd avoided a simple "Chinese", as it's not just the Chinese that the stereotype is applied to. Instead being countries of "the orient", which comprises the east - Japan, China, Hong Kong etc.

As opposed to the term "asian", which for westerners at least would include Pakistan/India etc.

So @Chris , out of interest, what word would you use to describe the region?

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm completely confused now. The poster said the song was directed at a person of middle eastern player.

Yeah that is confusing in fairness! Different region! Maybe there's a similar stereotype?!

• edited November 2019

Interestingly enough, oriental did at one time include people from the Middle East.

This is the classic literature on the subject https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)#