Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

Comments

• That's a bit different from the managerial feedback we've been used to.

What a refreshingly honest and focused assessment.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Onlooker said:
    why?

I would imagine anyone who was fucked over by them moving the kick-off from 3pm on Saturday to 12pm on a Sunday at short notice would give you a fair few reasons why.

Oh understood - thankfully the shift didn't inconvenience us as we hadn't made any travel arrangements before it was moved. I must say it was a novelty having Saturday at home with the family and the very reasonably priced trains all ran smoothly.

• @georgesims said:
    Our defence today was incredible

All about Scotty K defending from the front. Love that guy.

• The second half was pretty dull to watch until I stopped hoping for some attacking flair and started paying attention to how we were defending. It was fascinating watching our players steadfastly refuse to be pulled out of position, and whenever someone had to because Tranmere doubled up on them, another blue shirt would effortlessly slot in and cover. It was a masterclass and the concentration required to keep that up must have been quite something. Might be the first time I've ever really enjoyed watching defending.

• Not sure “Scotty” did much defending from the front during the second half siege! The back four and midfielders combined superbly to nullify Tranmere’s attack in what must have been one of the finest pieces of bus parking at any level this season. I was dreading the reaction of my son-in-law and grandson when we gathered for Sunday lunch in the at a ridiculously crowded Crown at Penn. Their interest is focussed very much on the Premier League (and Arsenal in particular I’m afraid!) so I was expecting adverse comments. Far from it in fact. They were impressed with the way Wycombe defended, singled out Darius Charles for particular praise and (only slightly tongue in cheek, perhaps) suggested that Arsenal could do with defenders like that.

Of course, the fact that lunch was on me (messi business) may have had some bearing.

• That second goal right on half time was an utter killer. It meant we could safely stick with what we had, and Tranmere were always going to have to produce something very special to get back into it.

What I dislike with commentary on games from other fans and managers is when they act like set piece goals are somehow less valid than other ones. Right up there with the "they had a gameplan" and "they do what they do well", type comments.

Set pieces are a huge part of the game at any level!

• Completely agree with the comments about our defending 2nd half. We were by far the better side 1st half, went in with a deserved lead and then just kept them at arm's length for the duration of the 2nd half.

At no point was I ever concerned they would get back into it. And that's what really struck me - how comfortable it was. Wycombe games aren't supposed to be like that! But we did, dare I say it, what promotion winning sides do. Win with a minimum of fuss.

If you don't believe yet it's time to get on board. Sometimes in football circumstances conspire to produce outcomes that seemed improbable. The momentum we now have, coupled with the relative weakness of this league (helped in no small part by "giants" such as Sunderland and Portsmouth having distinctly average sides) means that something very special indeed is now on the cards.

There have been seasons when I have not looked forward to games, going out of a sense of habit and duty alone. Now the games can't come quickly enough. Enjoy every last second of what's going on at the moment. I've been around long enough to realise that such times don't last forever.

• Excellent post @eric_plant. Totally agree.

• Ditto @drcongo. Only just noticed that you’d slipped in with a comment during the laboured tapping out of my 10.30 comment.

• Couldn't agree more on these comments on our defending. The wonderful thing is, they could equally apply to any one of our recent shut-outs. It's a joy to watch.

• @micra said:
    Not sure “Scotty” did much defending from the front during the second half siege! The back four and midfielders combined superbly to nullify Tranmere’s attack in what must have been one of the finest pieces of bus parking at any level this season. I was dreading the reaction of my son-in-law and grandson when we gathered for Sunday lunch in the at a ridiculously crowded Crown at Penn. Their interest is focussed very much on the Premier League (and Arsenal in particular I’m afraid!) so I was expecting adverse comments. Far from it in fact. They were impressed with the way Wycombe defended, singled out Darius Charles for particular praise and (only slightly tongue in cheek, perhaps) suggested that Arsenal could do with defenders like that.

Of course, the fact that lunch was on me (messi business) may have had some bearing.

Sorry to have copied such a long post but I wanted to make the point that for the club to be sustainable (and that is a Couhig objective) football fans like your son-in-law and grandson are needed in the crowd down at Adams Park on a regular basis, on the W/e’s Arsenal aren’t at home, that is if they trudge all the way to The Emirates for their home games?
    It is unbelievable how many Premier league fans I see on Wycombe Station going to London for games, not just Arsenal but Spurs, Chelsea even Championship clubs.
    We all need to do everything we can to get these floating fans to experience the successful, local, great value live football Wanderers are delivering at the moment. There has never been a better time to become a Chairboy.

• Starting with Wednesday night for a tenner with the grandson going free!

• I don't think the fans who actually go to games are the ones we need to attract. If they fork out for Premier League season tickets, fair play to them. We need to target the armchair supporters who've never once set foot inside for Stamford Bridge - whatever their reasons for that may be.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@micra said:
    Not sure “Scotty” did much defending from the front during the second half siege! The back four and midfielders combined superbly to nullify Tranmere’s attack in what must have been one of the finest pieces of bus parking at any level this season. I was dreading the reaction of my son-in-law and grandson when we gathered for Sunday lunch in the at a ridiculously crowded Crown at Penn. Their interest is focussed very much on the Premier League (and Arsenal in particular I’m afraid!) so I was expecting adverse comments. Far from it in fact. They were impressed with the way Wycombe defended, singled out Darius Charles for particular praise and (only slightly tongue in cheek, perhaps) suggested that Arsenal could do with defenders like that.

Sorry to have copied such a long post but I wanted to make the point that for the club to be sustainable (and that is a Couhig objective) football fans like your son-in-law and grandson are needed in the crowd down at Adams Park on a regular basis, on the W/e’s Arsenal aren’t at home, that is if they trudge all the way to The Emirates for their home games?
    It is unbelievable how many Premier league fans I see on Wycombe Station going to London for games, not just Arsenal but Spurs, Chelsea even Championship clubs.
    We all need to do everything we can to get these floating fans to experience the successful, local, great value live football Wanderers are delivering at the moment. There has never been a better time to become a Chairboy.

Take your general sentiments, but how are these people "floating" fans?
    They have their allegiance, and go to watch them!

If you moved say 40 miles away, would you watch the local mob instead of your team?

• edited November 2019

As this post was on the wrong thread the poster has a had a good look at himself, had a word and re-posted it elsewhere

• Pefidious Albion - If you are going with a grandson, you may be 60 or over, in which case it is £5 only for you. I am taking a Spurs supporting mate. he could not believe how cheap it is.

• @eric_plant said:

If you don't believe yet it's time to get on board. Sometimes in football circumstances conspire to produce outcomes that seemed improbable. The momentum we now have, coupled with the relative weakness of this league (helped in no small part by "giants" such as Sunderland and Portsmouth having distinctly average sides) means that something very special indeed is now on the cards.

There have been seasons when I have not looked forward to games, going out of a sense of habit and duty alone. Now the games can't come quickly enough. Enjoy every last second of what's going on at the moment. I've been around long enough to realise that such times don't last forever.

I hate this post. I absolutely agree with it. I’m used to my heart feeling like this but i’m a cold-hearted sod so let my brain rule and that is stacked with logic and an ability to remember defeats when we should have won rather than the other way round. Trouble is my brain is starting to nod in agreement along with my head.

(It won’t last)

• That's a really good point. Thinking we're going to go up is starting to seem logical based on the available evidence

Good heavens

• Brilliant to be bringing a Spurs fan
    • Re ‘40 miles’ good point. I live between Oxford, Swindon, Forest Green and Cheltenham. Only been there as a Wycombe fan!
  • edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:

This. Absolutely this. Football fortune, even for the biggest clubs, tends to be temporary, so always enjoy the moment. I guess many (most?) of us still worry this form won't last and we'll be back where we "belong" in a few months, but all the more reason to get a bit carried away and enjoy every single second of it.

Like you I can't wait for games to come round again at the moment, even pointless FLT matches for once, and I find myself watching absolutely any football at the moment. It's a wonderful feeling.

• Without getting too excited, does anyone wonder what we'll be capable of when we actually have Fred, Arrans and Smyth fully fit and firing at the same time?

• GOALS. Also, speaking of Aarons, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether his absence yesterday is part of a masterplan to limit his playing time juuust enough so other clubs don't go after him in January ;)

• @chairboyscentral said:
    GOALS. Also, speaking of Aarons, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether his absence yesterday is part of a masterplan to limit his playing time juuust enough so other clubs don't go after him in January ;)

After various reports about Mawson's TV goal at Luton being a major factor in us not being able to sign him I'd buy in to your theory.
    Sadly I just think he's got another injury

• With Mawson, I'd love to know the real truth.

Surely we hadn't actually 100% agreed a deal with him and Luton, and then just thought, ahh we'll properly sign that after the game tonight.
    Surely it just makes a better story saying we had him until that goal?

• A deal with him and Brentford @Malone ?

• @micra said:
    A deal with him and Brentford @Malone ?

Ahem.

• It was outside the transfer window so nothing could have been done officially at that point

as has been suggested, I expect he'd decided to leave Brentford/been told he wasn't getting a new contract, Wycombe had said "come and join us for £x per week", he'd said thanks very much, but then after that game his agent had started getting phone calls saying "if he signs for us we'll pay him £xxx per week"

Bad luck for us, good for him

• @perfidious_albion: Son-in-law says too many domestic commitments (and university commitments for grandson) to come to the game on Wednesday. Shame. I said they wouldn’t be able to resist coming when we’re drawn at home to Arsenal in the third round but he said they’d rather watch the ladies (as in Arsenal ladies!). How fickle.