Skip to content

England international quiz

First England goals for Winks and Mount today. Hopefully their England careers will flourish but can you name four (at least) guys who came off the bench to score in their debut but never won another cap. (All in the last fifty years).

Comments

• David Nugent scored on his only cap, but I don't know if that was from the bench or not.

• Yes. Nugent came on in the 79th minute against Andorra and scored. He therefore has the best goals to minutes ratio of any England player.

Three more

• that bolton forward?

• the accidenytal Kevin v Poland in 73?

• Fairly sure Franny Jeffers is one.

• David Nugent

• edited November 2019

That Bolton forward is presumably Kevin Davies. Only played once for England - second oldet debutant at the time (prpbably still is).
    "Accidenytal Kevin" sic - Kevin hector? - did come off the bench v Poland on his debut but had header off line. Played one more game.
    Michael Ricketts did come off the bench in February fir his only cap. Didnt score in that game or indeed in the league for the rest of the season.

Drum roll for @Ned_Ludd though. Scored in his only game off the bench (at half time) against Australia. still making newspaper headlines now - having apparently died a few years ago (fake news) and this autumn sending death threats to an ex-girlfriend. nice guy

One to go - not two as I previously said. God this one is hard.

• Franny Jeffers ?

• Michael Ricketts?

• Bothroyd didn’t score.
    Jeffers and Ricketts suggested above (Jeffers correctly.

• Oops scrolled too quick!

• Danny Wallace score on his only England appearance.
    Not sure if he was a sub though.
    I thought he is worth a mention due to the Wycombe connection.

• Wallace started his only game for England in Egypt.

• Ned Ludd was capped?

• Aye Davies and Hector who I meant

• Steve Guppy?

• Bob Latchhford?

• Mark West?

• Any mention of Nugent's wonderstrike against Andorra isn't complete without the clip

• Gupps didn’t score. Latchford got a few.

Look frankly I’ll be appauled if someone hasn’t got the answer by morning. For gods sake I know it’s hard but the answer must be there somewhere.

I think of him as a QPR player but actually was West Ham at the time.

• Paul Franklin never played for England.

• I admire the shithousery from Nugent, so much so that I think we should make a move for him when we go up.

• did he play for Watford?

• @LX1 said:
    Ned Ludd was capped?

Don’t act so surprised!

• Thanks for the clues @DevC - Paul Goddard.

• Ah indeed - Paul Goddard came off the bench to score in what must have been a pretty depressing 1-1 draw in a World Cup warm up game.

And so completes our hall of infamy.

• @DevC said:
    Ah indeed - Paul Goddard came off the bench to score in what must have been a pretty depressing 1-1 draw in a World Cup warm up game.

And so completes our hall of infamy.

Paul Goddard was my first footballing hero. My father took me up to The Bush as a 5 year old and my first football recollections are of him, Hucker, Allen, Bowles, Francis and Roeder playing in the team that were relegated from the old First Division.

Paul was only a kid then but he stood out, even in a relegated team.

• He used to live in Lane End.