Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

Comments

• Even our players were laughing incredulously

• Saw him being taken away by police on Prenton Park West after the game.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    On the other hand, there's this

"In pure footballing terms we're okay. We pass and move well enough but tend to run out of ideas near the box when the game becomes compacted. Our players might well be more skillful than Wycombe's in truth. In all other aspects of the game they are miles ahead of us. They are stronger, quicker, better organised, have a game plan and carry the out. They have options up front within a simple structure. We dominated the second half because Wycombe eased off and played deep, but we didn't really look like ever scoring - crosses and corners were dealt with easily and everything else looked pretty enough 25+ yards out but never pulled them out of shape. Outside of the first few minutes one team looked in complete control of what they were doing and it wasn't Tranmere."

Post by Doogie'sGhost on Total Tranmere

That is a very good analysis of this game, and could be applied to several others this season.

We dont play the delicacy that some people associate with 'good' football. As a result many opposition fans mistakenly overlook the precision, planning and hard work that is delivering such excellent results.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Despite all the commentary complaints I bet you wouldn’t have swapped it for the 12” extended remix of Thompson Twins’ anti-drugs deep cut ‘Don’t mess with Dr Dream’ that accompanied my viewing.

Nice to watch it with 11 other Wanderers supporters in Minehead Butlin’s sports bar. No Tranmere in sight.

Enjoy cast and the lightening seeds if I've got the right weekend.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I found a better bit of Birkenhead bitterness.

@chairboyscentral said:
    I found a better bit of Birkenhead bitterness.

The numpty probably hasn't even looked at the table.

• They came at us first 5 minutes passing nicely and we looked like it was all a bit early for us. I thought after that we really started to affect them. I see some of the opposition have added teamwork to the physicality , defensive solidity and set piece excellence we have been found 'guilty' of in recent times. Have to take it all as a compliment. Kashket was pretty full on to start jumping in front of everything, could easily have been carded, or drawn a pen or a red card.
    Wonderful team performance when they came at back at us, their 23 was giving Grimmer real probs but we defend as an 11, and what can you say that hasn't already about Ainsworth and Dobbo, Bayo, JJ and Darius who gave a classic EL-Abd style 'They shall not pass' performance.
    Fairly filthy weather down the motorway in part, well done to all those that came, anyone who does all 3 should get a medal. On to midweek and whatever lies in wait. Together. Should be fun.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    After some hard bargaining my local landlord has agreed to put on the telly.

Imagine getting soundly beaten on your own turf and then declaring yourselves better than the best team in the league based on that showing.

ehhhh it's that sound Scouse wit.

• That's shocking stuff, and especially the age he started his problems, when he should have been enjoying his peak.

Utterly baffles me how these rich people lose such fortunes without an addiction though. Going for the high jackpot, when most of us would have slowly bought a few properties up and rented them out.

• I thought Hendrie was good on commentary had good knowledge of both teams and was full of praise for us he could see we were s.... these are great times to be a chairboy/girl..... sky with no full time analysis is a joke

• Were sitting back in control

• I'm trying to think of a team I've watched (not necessarily Wycombe) that enjoys defending as much as those lads seem to.

• @bigred87 said:
    I thought Hendrie was good on commentary had good knowledge of both teams and was full of praise for us he could see we were s.... these are great times to be a chairboy/girl..... sky with no full time analysis is a joke

Didn't realise there actually wasn't any, just thought it was the stream switching to another game quickly!

But seemed weird to bother televising our game, and do a half assed job. Why not make it a 11.45 kick off if they also wanted to show a 2pm international?! I don't think 11.45 or 12 make much odds, they're both silly!

• I was just glad to be able to watch the game in my front room in Somerset drinking local cider, my neighbour must have been a bit pissed off with me cheering the goals but he's a Bristol Rovers fan and a complete ****!

• Ratings, which I'm still perfecting so bear with any excessive generosity! https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/11/17/ratings-tranmere-0-2-wycombe/

• What's the best bear? brown? grizzly? koala?

• brown for me, others are show-offs

• Bit of a polarising question really

• Bayo was class as always today...... going forward when he finally decides to call it a day I've always thought Tom Elliott could do a similar job, he was unplayable against us the season Wimbledon went up and was keeping bayo out the team i believe... he's not getting a sniff in at the den

• I sense trouble bruin...

• Here is a future post from the Barcelona forum, taken from the year 2028:

"Look, I know Sir Gareth Ainsworth did wonders taking a tiny club to the Premier League and then winning it, and you have to give them credit for beating us 7-0 in a Champions League final, but I would not want to watch that every week."

• The correct expression is "bear with me" btw...

(polar)

• Ah, but you get the train to Wycombe from Paddington

• And take a bear with me.

• I drive a Kodiaq (Kodiak) does that count?

• the best part of an excellent day was hearing my Wycombe breternen singing 'fuck sky sports'

excellent

• Had to remind myself that today's starting 11 was entirely free signings. I know none of the squad technically cost anything, but there's usually a loaner or two in the team. What is money?

• @NorsQuarters, if you're waiting at Paddington for the train to Wycombe that might explain why you don't get to as many matches as you'd like.
    Most of us would catch the train from Marylebone.

• Haha, of course. Didn't fit with the narrative though! I'll be in the Village for the Doncaster match, any info on the Sleepout that night?

• @Onlooker said:
    why?

I would imagine anyone who was fucked over by them moving the kick-off from 3pm on Saturday to 12pm on a Sunday at short notice would give you a fair few reasons why.