Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

Comments

• Tbh, the whole broadcast was a demonstration in how they couldn't give a stuff about the lower leagues.

• Great to see that not only do we have the best home record in L1 but also the third best away record, behind only Ipswich and Rotherham https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Tbh, the whole broadcast was a demonstration in how they couldn't give a stuff about the lower leagues.

Who was the co-commentator? Arriving miles into the second half I never did see or work out who it was.
    Sounded D list though.

• It is a long time since I watched us on live tv. Very different from at the ground. Appreciate the aspects of both individual characters and team play camera work achieves. Great watch.
    As others have mentioned went to make a post match cuppa and so v confused by the Luxembourg national anthem on return!
    But you can’t beat a cold night under the lights for a cup replay. Roll on Wednesday.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Tbh, the whole broadcast was a demonstration in how they couldn't give a stuff about the lower leagues.

Who was the co-commentator? Arriving miles into the second half I never did see or work out who it was.
    Sounded D list though.

Lee Hendrie I think.... thought he was a lot better than the actual commentator

• @aloysius said:

@georgesims said:

@micra said:
    All three changes from last week have proved telling. Grimmer on fire. Kashket a bloody nuisance (and on a knife edge). Akinfenwa just Akinfenwa.

I fear for Kashket’s shins. Will GA do a Leasing.com and replace him with Smyth for the second half?

Replace him?! He’s been fucking fantastic this game

At last, conclusive proof that George Sims isn't Scott Kashket. I thought there might be a 2% chance he was - no one can be that much of a superfan and Kashket does like to wind up the other players, apparently. But even Super Scotty can't be in two places at once...

Hahahahahaha just a fan mate, look it wasn’t the best performance from Scotty but I still thought he was superb and if he didn’t moan and be dramatic he wouldn’t get anything

• Darius Charles was immense today and definately my MOTM.

• Lee Hendrie is generally pretty good tbf.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Great to see that not only do we have the best home record in L1 but also the third best away record, behind only Ipswich and Rotherham https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

No side in the top four tiers better than us defensively on the road either.

• Just seen on sky Rocky complained about homophobic abuse from Tranmere fans.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Lee Hendrie is generally pretty good tbf.

I was starting to suspect that he was drunk in the second half. Rambling on about nothing, or about Villa, and failing to answer anything the (very shit) commentator asked him.

• @chairboyscentral I like the "even Tranmere" addition to that stat!

• I thought Hendrie was quite good...seemed to know stuff about us and - at least- got the player's names right!

• BSEBSE
    edited November 2019

@robin said:
    Darius Charles was immense today and definately my MOTM.

I have to agree with @robin Darius my MOTM also.

• Darragh MacAnthony won't be happy with the table...

• After some hard bargaining my local landlord has agreed to put on the telly.

Imagine getting soundly beaten on your own turf and then declaring yourselves better than the best team in the league based on that showing.

• Trouble is it's not 11* individuals against 11, so your man for man analysis doesn't reflect what happens. It's a TEAM of 11 v a team of 11 and as a team we were so much better, as the score reflects. Everyone played their part according to what was needed of them as we always do.
    It's great being a Wanderers fan just now.

• for 11 read to include subs, management, back room staff, rest of the squad etc.
  • edited November 2019

I found a better bit of Birkenhead bitterness.

• On the other hand, there's this

"In pure footballing terms we're okay. We pass and move well enough but tend to run out of ideas near the box when the game becomes compacted. Our players might well be more skillful than Wycombe's in truth. In all other aspects of the game they are miles ahead of us. They are stronger, quicker, better organised, have a game plan and carry the out. They have options up front within a simple structure. We dominated the second half because Wycombe eased off and played deep, but we didn't really look like ever scoring - crosses and corners were dealt with easily and everything else looked pretty enough 25+ yards out but never pulled them out of shape. Outside of the first few minutes one team looked in complete control of what they were doing and it wasn't Tranmere."

Post by Doogie'sGhost on Total Tranmere

• edited November 2019

Also this from one of the most trusted EFL voices about imo.

• Fully agree with the posts about Charles, he was exceptional today.

If that was a premier league game of a top of the table team vs a team in the bottom half, everyone watching would have said that the top team got ahead and then conserved energy and played the game out with minimal risk. I never felt any danger they would come back into the game, and if they did, I felt like we could take charge of the game again almost at will.

I'm officially excited that we have a genuine chance of going up

• Watched in the Caledonian Suite Thai Curry was great !

• What was noticeable, in terms of the broadcast, was how much the pundits favour the higher team - naturally, as they've probably know more of them.

I recall in the early 00's, playing Huddersfield on telly, and Peter Beagrie ridiculing us before the game even began, and knowing hardly anything.

Yet today, Sam Parkin seemed to get exactly what we were about - very pleasing.

• For those of you who are old enough to remember Monty Python. "This season has become too silly" What a team performance!

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2019

Thouroughly enjoyable game. Very nearly stayed at home. Passed it around with confidence at times.

The Tranmere kid who legged it down the pitch to give us the vs was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while at the end. Stewards didn't realise until he was scarpering out the home end. Looked worrying for him the way suddenly they all started going for him. Hope he is ok.

• Despite all the commentary complaints I bet you wouldn’t have swapped it for the 12” extended remix of Thompson Twins’ anti-drugs deep cut ‘Don’t mess with Dr Dream’ that accompanied my viewing.

Nice to watch it with 11 other Wanderers supporters in Minehead Butlin’s sports bar. No Tranmere in sight.

• @LX1 said:
    Thouroughly enjoyable game. Very nearly stayed at home. Passed it around with confidence at times.

The Tranmere kid who legged it down the pitch to give us the vs was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while at the end. Stewards didn't realise until he was scarpering out the home end. Looked worrying for him the way suddenly they all started going for him. Hope he is ok.

This was astonishing - does he do it every week?

• I'm guessing not the way he went unnoticed for so long!