Skip to content

Kashket/Smyth

Comments

• edited November 2019

Someone touched on the midfield. I think I keep misjudging it. I kind of have in my head that Gape is the 'holding' player, but whichever three are playing get all over the place - and Thompson was more like an auxiliary CB against Rotherham. I think it's more fluid than it perhaps looks.

• It's been very fluid...sometimes with goal machine Bloomfield pushing far too far up the field for my liking!

• @Wendoverman said:
    It's been very fluid...sometimes with goal machine Bloomfield pushing far too far up the field for my liking!

That is Blooms' position nowadays from my POV, the advanced defensive midfielder. His main job is to give the other team no time when they have the ball, and when we have the ball he makes as many runs in behind, or to create space for others as possible, rather than necessarily to get on the end of passes himself. Extremely unselfish and not the easiest role to understand for some fans.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Strangely, not unlike Blooms his tactical positioning and energy seem to be far better this season than last to me. His defending has improved no end. Or my rose-tinted glasses have just steamed up.

You're definitely correct, as there's not been even a whisper from the drone army about him being too slow this year, when we even have a rapid understudy now.

• edited November 2019

@Username said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Strangely, not unlike Blooms his tactical positioning and energy seem to be far better this season than last to me. His defending has improved no end. Or my rose-tinted glasses have just steamed up.

Not sure JJ has necessarily changed much, but having someone next to him who can run and head it has made all the difference, was painfully obvious last year that El-Abd next to JJ didn't work but we didn't really have other options.

El Abd leaves a strange legacy, as he had great leadership and positioning, but very low aerial domination for a lower league centre back, and barely any pace.
    And not one person will be saying we'll miss him!

• @Username said:

@Wendoverman said:
    It's been very fluid...sometimes with goal machine Bloomfield pushing far too far up the field for my liking!

That is Blooms' position nowadays from my POV, the advanced defensive midfielder. His main job is to give the other team no time when they have the ball, and when we have the ball he makes as many runs in behind, or to create space for others as possible, rather than necessarily to get on the end of passes himself. Extremely unselfish and not the easiest role to understand for some fans.

There's been "defensive wingers" in the past, the likes of Park for United and Kuyt for Liverpool, but a defensive furthest forward midfielder is definitely an oddity!

• @Username said:

@Wendoverman said:

indeed...and as we know he gets his head in there...but sometimes I sort of wish it was gape or thompson from a goal-threat point of view.

• Cue him scoring a hat-trick on Sunday :smiley: it has been noted that as soon as I say: 'It's about time (insert name here) was subbed' they usually score.

• .> @Wendoverman said:

@Username said:

@Wendoverman said:

indeed...and as we know he gets his head in there...but sometimes I sort of wish it was gape or thompson from a goal-threat point of view.

Technically they're both better no doubt, but I honestly don't think either of them have as much nous as Bloomers when it comes to making runs for others, not yet anyway

• Samuel over Kashket for me... love a work horse and brings everyone else into the game

If he all of a sudden has a Beavon moment and starts scoring regularly, much bigger teams will come calling for him for sure

• That goal Samuel scored last week v Tranmere was certainly a quality piece of finishing.
    So maybe he does have it in his locker.

I bet in other clubs he'd be told to be more selfish and use his energy more in the "right" areas.

• I definitely think his finishing is getting better - goal against Reading wasn't bad either.

• So it seems like the majority comments on heres 1st team doesn’t involve kashket which is abit mind boggling to me. I do think he is our best finisher. He’s definitely the most exiting to watch, however I do rate Fred and Aaron’s too

• I expect most of us are pleased to see him on the pitch, but think the 4-3-3 system probably suits him least out of all our attackers.

• I find it mind boggling that Wheeler isn’t an automatic starter. Then I find it mind boggling that Samuel isn’t an automatic starter. Then I find it mind boggling that Aaron’s isn’t an automatic starter. Then I find it mind boggling that Smyth isn’t an automatic starter. Then i find it mind boggling Fred isn’t an automatic starter. Then I find it mind boggling that Kashket isn’t an automatic starter. Then I find it mind boggling that Bayo isn’t an automatic starter. Then I nod knowingly at Parker (my pre-season pick for top scorer) not being an automatic starter. Thin I lie down.

• edited November 2019

You picked Parker as top scorer?

I forget the order of our signings, was he an early doors one?

• Parker was the last permanent signing.

• That makes predicting him to be top scorer absolutely insane.
    No disrespect @bookertease

• No. I’m just rubbish at understanding football. I confidently predicted Dayle Southwell would be top scorer 2 seasons ago. Not seen much of Parker but still quite rate him and a decent run in the team and I think he’d do well. I don’t think I was expecting Bayo to still be delivering as well as he is and saw Parker when he first signed as our new centre forward.

• If we were playing 442 it wouldn't have been too bad a shout if you thought Aarons, Smyth, Fred, Wheeler and even Kashket would all be played predominantly in wide midfield. Could have seen Parker getting one of the starting spots in a front 2 and get on a scoring run.

• Samuel’s effort which struck the bar and bounced down on to the goal line against the Franchise was pretty impressive. He can only get better.

• @micra said:
    Samuel’s effort which struck the bar and bounced down on to the goal line against the Franchise was pretty impressive. He can only get better.

Josh would have scored though

• Indeed, what fantastic problems to have. Colleagues at work, who have a passing interest in WWFC, have spotted that we’re (joint) top of the table and been asking ‘what's changed there?’ to which my answer is along the lines 'a little more investment has allowed us to buy some more players so that for the first time in year, we have strength in depth and cover for all positions, although the core team is essentially still the same as the last two seasons.’ This really is the difference this year - how many times have we seen our fortunes change once 2-4 key players have picked up long term injuries? Applied even in the the playoff final season.
    Elland Road here we come !!! ?

• @TheOldMan said:
    Indeed, what fantastic problems to have. Colleagues at work, who have a passing interest in WWFC, have spotted that we’re (joint) top of the table and been asking ‘what's changed there?’ to which my answer is along the lines 'a little more investment has allowed us to buy some more players so that for the first time in year, we have strength in depth and cover for all positions, although the core team is essentially still the same as the last two seasons.’ This really is the difference this year - how many times have we seen our fortunes change once 2-4 key players have picked up long term injuries? Applied even in the the playoff final season.
    Elland Road here we come !!! ?

Love that ?

• Why oh why do I have to have my screen overflowing with lengthy quotations when someone is posting a two word endorsement in the succeeding post?!!

• @micra said:
    Why oh why do I have to have my screen overflowing with lengthy quotations when someone is posting a two word endorsement in the succeeding post?!!

Tru.

• @micra said:
    Why oh why do I have to have my screen overflowing with lengthy quotations when someone is posting a two word endorsement in the succeeding post?!!

Get a bigger screen!

• @bookertease at least thin you lie down. A long time since I could say that ?