Skip to content

Friday Quiz - Portman Road will be ground number 33...

edited November 2019 in Football

...but which are the other 32 grounds* that Wycombe Wanderers have played a first-team competitive match at that have also hosted at least one European Cup, Champions League, UEFA Cup, Cup-Winners Cup, Europa League or Inter-Cities Fairs Cup tie?
Intertoto, Anglo-Italian Cup etc. do not count.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/wwfcquiz/wwfc-euro-venues

* = one ground was usually used by a former league opponent, but no confirmation can be found that our last game against them was at the ground that went on to host Cup-Winners' Cup and UEFA Cup football. Experts in the history of the Southern League in the 1900s might be able to shed some light.

EDIT - In true shambolic gasroom quiz style, I missed one out so there are now 33 to guess.

Comments

• I got 20, decent considering I'm too young to remember a lot of them.

• 14 - still enjoyed it though and thanks for posting

• 20 as well, trying to remember the names of stadiums with the sponsorship changes makes a few of them harder, but good quiz!

• 17, defeated by the clock

• 16 also defeated by the march of time

• 22 - I'm usually rubbish at these sort of quizzes, so not too bad I suppose.

• 17 Would have helped if I could spell Molineux, I also tried The Riverside and The Den so close to 20 but no cigar.

• Odd question, but when people say they have "completed the 92", is that ever true? For instance, if it takes 7 years, that is 14 new clubs up from the Conference. Surely it is a moving target that it is almost impossible to hit?

In other words, anyone who has "done the 92", cannot say that now unless they have been to Salford...and next year it could be Bromley, or Solihull, or Harrogate.

• @Shev It's a constantly moving target, although some teams coming up from the National League will have been League teams previously and may already have been visited. This season it's only "Doing the 90" , with Bury removed and Coventry sharing a ground.

• It sounds like it would be easier as a L2 fan who has already done the grounds in the first three tiers.

• Maine Road, Craven Cottage, Vicarage Road, White Hart Lane, Wembley, Villa Park, The Hawthorns, Molineux, Stamford Bridge, Riverside, Elland Road, Loftus Road, Ninian Park, Racecourse Ground, Somerton Park, Pennydarren Park, City Ground, St Andrew's, Highfield Road, Gay Meadow, Carrow Road, Turf Moor, Britannia Stadium, Vetch Field, Liberty Stadium, Bohemians, Fratton Park, Hillsborough, County Ground. Cant think if any more

• it is 'doing the 91' as long as Mk are there

• Some good efforts, especially those who were born before UEFA put in a rule to stop Welsh teams in the English pyramid gaining entry to the the Cup-Winners' Cup by winning the FAW Cup, or knowledge of a certain Devonian team randomly hosting a Cup-Winners' Cup tie.

@madmusketeer - I wasn't aware of Gay Meadow having hosted a UEFA/ECWC/EC cup tie, did it host one for a Welsh team that won the FAW Cup? Swindon or Northampton never played in in the main UEFA competitions, when did a County Ground host one of these games?
    Also we played against Bohemians at Dalymount Park in a friendly rather than a competitive fixture.