Skip to content

Kashket/Smyth

Just for discussion - What do we think is going to happen with Kashket now that Smyth is back? (who seemed to play well on Tuesday)

Comments

• Gareth not known for too many wholesale changes to a winning team and it will depend on the football fortune cup run and subsequent fixture build-up. Smyth will play some games and Kashket some others is my considered opinion.

• Are you feeling OK @Wendoverman? An entirely sensible answer!

• Up to Smyth to ram his way into the lineup, which might take a few games.

I wonder if we might ever go with Fred, Smyth, Arrans and Bayo in one lineup!

Maybe a potential date with Chichester?

• edited November 2019

Smyth-Samuel-Aarons if Smyth is fit enough to start. If not, Wheeler in his place - so the same front three as last Saturday. I think Kashket is much more effective when we go with two up front or the 1-2/2-1 we played against Rotherham.

• I could see us playing 442 at some point this season, simply to accommodate 4 of our 8 attacking options rather than 3. Chichester could be a good chance to try it

• Smyth off Bayo is something I'd really like to see too. He linked up quite nicely with Billy Kee in that capacity.

• @drcongo said:
    Are you feeling OK @Wendoverman? An entirely sensible answer!

I am an eminently sensible man, doc. I'm surprised you have not noticed this before.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Smyth-Samuel-Aarons if Smyth is fit enough to start. If not, Wheeler in his place - so the same front three as last Saturday. I think Kashket is much more effective when we go with two up front or the 1-2/2-1 we played against Rotherham.

Really? Not sure I would put Samuel into that, I would like to see Fred- Kashket - Aarons

• Arrons-Fred-Smyth is probably on paper our highest quality threesome.

But whether it'd work is open for debate. Bayo is still very much a key player, and Samuel outdoes anyone for work rate and Kashket anyone for acceleration and finishing

• What a wonderful conundrum......

• edited November 2019

Kashket wouldn't work as a central striker in our usual system - he's not a target man. Samuel is arguably our most important forward but doesn't get the praise he deserves because he doesn't do the fancy stuff. His work rate is incredible and he makes those around him better by bringing them more into the game with his hold-up play and chasing down balls in areas others don't.

• @drcongo said:

He found his quota of crisps doc!

• Can we find a formation to fit them all in?

Bayo alongside Samuel up front with Kashkett just behind. Fred & Arrons wide with Smyth and Wheeler as the defensive midfielders. Sido, Grimmer and Charles as a back 3. Take your pick in goal because clearly we'd out score the opposition anyway.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@drcongo said:

@Wendoverman will be carrying a bit more timber then!

• @Twizz said:
    Can we find a formation to fit them all in?

Bayo alongside Samuel up front with Kashkett just behind. Fred & Arrons wide with Smyth and Wheeler as the defensive midfielders. Sido, Grimmer and Charles as a back 3. Take your pick in goal because clearly we'd out score the opposition anyway.

Saw you miss posted earlier on another thread, now this. Have you been drinking?
    ... and no place for Tools, crazy talk!!

• @mooneyman said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@drcongo said:

@Wendoverman will be carrying a bit more timber then!

As usual. Which is why I am legally barred from involvement in any limbs based activities...crushing danger.

• @perfidious_albion, hey I did leave the goalkeeper position vacant! Tools can slot in there.

• This is a decent discussion... lets try to keep it on topic!

There is a debate about finding a system to fit all of your best players in, OR picking the best players for the system you want, even if it means some get left out.

This goes back to the "Golden Generation" with England, where trying to fit Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in the same team ultimately didn't work.

It's a great problem to have... Akinfenwa up top, with Aarons and Fred either side with Freeman in the hole behind, and then remembering you still have Samuel, Kashket, Smyth and Weeler to choose from as well!!

• At one time we were worried about the fact that we had no back-up for vital players and could not fill the bench...now we have back-up and seem to be worrying how we can jam them all in the starting 11!! :smile:

• edited November 2019

Actually, I'd like to see Aarons from the right and Smyth or Fred from the left (ok, we already do play Fred there) with Samuel centrally but as more of a pure false 9. Liverpool but more direct. Easy!

I suppose with the right winger, you have to make sure Grimmer is sufficiently covered, but if you're not willing to track back then Gaz isn't going to sign you (although some probably do so better/more instinctively than others).

• edited November 2019

The Liverpool comparison is a good one, certainly in terms of style and setup there are a lot of similarities. 4-3-3 with a tireless hold up man in the middle, pace and trickery either side. 3 hard working midfielders doing the dirty work in the middle. 2 full backs that love to get forward and help with assists, and an absolute Rolls Royce at centre half. Even their heavy metal manager to our Rock and Roll manager.

It's certainly working for both of us

• @Username said:
    The Liverpool comparison is a good one, certainly in terms of style and setup there are a lot of similarities. 4-3-3 with a tireless hold up man in the middle, pace and trickery either side. 3 hard working midfielders doing the dirty work in the middle. 2 full backs that love to get forward and very assists and an absolute Rolls Royce at centre half. Even their heavy metal manager to our Rock and Roll manager.

It's certainly working for both of us

Should be a great final then... :smiley:

• Imagine how unstoppable JJ would be if he had pace.

• Imagine how unstoppable Bayo would be if he had pace

Imagine how unstoppable JJ would be if he had pace.

Quite simply he'd have played his career in the premiership or at least the championship with plenty of Wales caps. Unfortunately for him, pace is maybe the only thing a player can't improve significantly.

Lucky for us really.

Imagine how unstoppable JJ would be if he had pace.

Which is probably why he didn’t make it to The Championship. Actually I think he has modified his game to cover for this, he tracks back with some very clever angles that only comes with experience. Shrews thought he was too slow for League One all those seasons back, wrong call!

• Strangely, not unlike Blooms his tactical positioning and energy seem to be far better this season than last to me. His defending has improved no end. Or my rose-tinted glasses have just steamed up.

• @bookertease said:
    Imagine how unstoppable Bayo would be if he had pace

I'd rather not terrify myself.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Strangely, not unlike Blooms his tactical positioning and energy seem to be far better this season than last to me. His defending has improved no end. Or my rose-tinted glasses have just steamed up.

Not sure JJ has necessarily changed much, but having someone next to him who can run and head it has made all the difference, was painfully obvious last year that El-Abd next to JJ didn't work but we didn't really have other options.

• Would it work to have two sets of three strikers who knew each other's movement, etc to be alternated according to the opposition? It could be argued that less disruption would come if they practiced in their groups to be swapped out en masse.

I assume this is already done to the extent that the players are taught the same strategies but would it work to solidify the groupings?