Skip to content

The Last 5... Wycombe on the Telly

Comments

• Wasn't Jimmy floyd first game as boss with Burton at ap on the telly or am.i.just dreaming that? Or was it before Plymouth?

• edited November 2019

November 2014 that was, and we also had the 3-2 at Luton (with the Mawson goal) on TV between then and Plymouth. Tbh, I can't remember if it was televised. Then again, I overlooked the Coventry game until someone pointed it out!

• For some reason I assumed the Spurs game was on the tv.

• @Chris said:
    For some reason I assumed the Spurs game was on the tv.

One of my fondest memories of the game was at the final whistle, singing ‘it should have been on the telly’, and the spurs fans giving us a big cheer.

• It really should have been. Easily the tie of the round from the draw

They showed man utd v Blackburn from old trafford

• Of course they did.

• @drcongo said:
    Of course they did.

Can you imagine when Salford get Utd in the cup, they'll launch a new channel and give the tea lady her own show.

• Jesus wept.

• I seem to remember going through a spell of getting absolutely hosed on the telly by Huddersfield.

During the fabled Duberry-Oliver era

• Leon Johnson (who was a perfectly capable centre back) had one of the worst ever individual Wycombe performances up against Jordan Rhodes on Sky.

• @eric_plant said:
    I seem to remember going through a spell of getting absolutely hosed on the telly by Huddersfield.

Yes, they were difficult times. I attended the 6-0 gubbing at their place, and dragged a load of non-Wycombe supporting mates to the pub to witness the reverse 0-6 gubbing at our place a couple of years later.

• @eric_plant said:
    I seem to remember going through a spell of getting absolutely hosed on the telly by Huddersfield.

Have you posted this on the correct niche message board?

• @eric_plant said:

Our last 4 games against Huddersfield have seen us concede 17 goals and score just 1, losing all four in the process. I think both 6-0 games were on TV.

Jordan Rhodes was responsible for most of their goals if memory serves.

• He got at least four in the 0-6 at AP, and I think he got a hat-trick when he returned with Norwich last season?

• Some bad news here. I was in the Canary Islands when we played Huddersfield, I left the lovely Mrs Fit in the hotel and went off to watch the game, only 2 guys in the bar me and a town fan, friendly bet, buy each other a pint if our team concedes. I was a good few euros out of pocket. This Sunday I am away again and hope to watch in a bar. No bets this time.

• Jordan Rhodes got 5 in the 6-0 walloping Huddersfield gave us here and another hat trick last season here for Norwich. Overall, he has 10 goals against us in 6 games. Some record!!!

What’s the chances that if we signed him he would be terrible!!!

• @Dickie said:
    Jordan Rhodes got 5 in the 6-0 walloping Huddersfield gave us here and another hat trick last season here for Norwich. Overall, he has 10 goals against us in 6 games. Some record!!!

What’s the chances that if we signed him he would be terrible!!!

That's a pretty crazy record, he must be up there in the all time scorers vs us, certainly since we joined the league.

Grant Holt scored 5 in a game against us in the JPT if I remember right?

• Clearly that Wycombe Tottenham tie ended up being an epic watch, that some of us are still gutted by now (if only Blackman hadn't done such a rubbish clearance when we were leading with about 2mins left!), but 99/100 it'd have been a home walkover and dreadful watch for any neutral.

• Absolute tosh. It was the standout tie of the round and I was as certain on here beforehand that it would be on tv as I was about the Chichester game vs us or Tranmere

• Games with the big side at home don't tend to be televised, so it was disappointing but not surprising when it wasn't.

• edited November 2019

It ended up being the tie of the round, and of course we as Wycombe fans would think it was the best tie.

But obvs most people are not going to be engaged by a minnow away at Premier league giant.

• @Username Yes Grant Holt got 8 in 10 games against us it would appear, including 5 in the one game for Shrewsbury

• anyone got a link to the sky interview with Garreth after a tv game. The one where Murdoch lacky says "a great 3 points leading into the international break!" and Gaz says "eh? We're in League Two mate, got Accrington on Tuesday?"

• @Dickie said:
    @Username Yes Grant Holt got 8 in 10 games against us it would appear, including 5 in the one game for Shrewsbury

That's a decent record. Anyone think of a player who's scored more? Ellison must a few over the years

• Paul McKinnon of Sutton United always seemed to score against us.