Skip to content

FA Cup second round draw

Comments

• Plumb draw for us or Tranmere really.

Can't wait for the cup game now!

• Wise words from the Plantmeister. Feet on the ground...

• Cracking draw. Certainly cranks up excitement levels for the Tranmere replay a notch

• That’s more like it......if we get through

• Liikely to be one of the Sunday afternoon highlights games I would have thought.

Tranmere game now pretty big.

• Do we really think a 7th tier team away to a league 1 team would get one of the few tv berths?

Yes it's romantic and that, but (without jinxing it) doesn't seem the big upset chance they prefer to feature.

We have to beat Tranmere now, that 3rd round is there for the taking!!

• Agreed - very surprised if that's a live TV game but a dead cert for the Sunday afternoon if it isn't. Brilliant draw though- if we can beat Tranmere!

• Wearing my TV hat, I think there’s every chance of Chichester’s tie against us or Tranmere being televised.
    As Malone says, it’s the ‘wrong way round’ but as they’re the lowest ranked club left it would be a huge story if they were to reach the 3rd Round. I think the BBC will want to carry the Chichester story to its conclusion.

• It's the stand out draw of the round. It's an absolute certainty for TV IMO

• edited November 2019

How late can the TV companies make their picks? Maldon & Tiptree v Grimsby/Newport will be one, but would they be able to wait to see if Bromley get through (winner of replay hosts Plymouth)? Solihull Moors v Rotherham will probably be selected. Then you've got Stourbridge/Eastleigh v Crewe and Walsall/Darlington v Oxford. Neither our Stourbridge nor Leatherhead game was on telly.

• Hope you're right, the more tv money into the coffers, the better.

Although as a fair few traditionalists staunchly slated the Tranmere tv move and the principle in general, maybe it's not the desired outcome!

• Both Wycombe and Tranmere have some good FA Cup history (they've got to the 1/4 finals at least 3 times) so there's good story material for TV in either case. Think it'll be a shoe in for telly.

• What we need is to beat Tranmere (not a given) and then draw the home tie with Chichester.

Replay absolutely guaranteed to be on TV and even better we get the seasonal ticket allocation shambles out the way early on. (Joking aside it will be a test of the Couhigs professionalism to see how they deal with that long-standing tradition).

• They'll auction them to the highest bidders

• Legacy members will be allowed to look at tickets between 11 and 3 on Tuesday

• If we did lose to Tranmere, after the Ipswich game it looks like we'd have a 2 1/2 week gap without a fixture, due to obvs no 2nd round game, and no Bury game.

That'd be mad after such a packed run up to it.

• IF we win the replay and get the results in the league, we could be the highest-ranked team in the second round - against the lowest.

• I'd say lowest ranked side (8th tier, not 7th!) vs joint highest ranked side in the competition has got something going for it that our match against Leatherhead didn't (we were L2 then). Also, the Stourbridge game was 3rd Rd, so we were competing with Man U (always shown regardless) and the other big premier League names.

• Pretty certain we won’t be one of the televised games. If Chichester were at home then we’d be nailed on but not with the game at ours (or Prenton Park of course)
    We’ll be one of the highlight games on the Sunday

• A lot of people seem "certain" either way, so it'll be interesting to see the outcome of the tv picks!

• It won’t be a televised game because the outcome of the replay isn’t known until Nov 20th. Tranmere v Chichester will hardly be a TV pull with 2-300 away fans there. If Wycombe win the replay I wouldn’t expect more than 5-600 away fans.

• I'm pretty sure they've announced games for TV coverage before replays before - and this is guaranteed to be League v non-League so no risk.

• edited November 2019

@A_Worboys , when does the expected away crowd have any influence on a tv pick? And like @chairboyscentral says above they have picked games pre replays before.

As a story, Chichester away to a league 1 team 5 divisions higher (I stand corrected that they are 8th tier not 7th) is pure romance. But very likely it won't have much appeal to neutrals being an away game.

• The game won’t get selected because neither side is Salford City

• Aren't they the lowest ranked side in round two for decades? Definitely got a chance of getting on TV. Think the Malden and Tiptree game is nailed on, then our tie is one of 4/5 ties that could be picked.

• edited November 2019

Lowest since Chasetown in 07/08? I have vague recollections of their game v Cardiff being televised, but they were at home. Then there was Harrogate Railway (possibly from the same level) v Bristol City in 02/03. If I've got it right and they were both eighth tier too, Chichester are only the third side from that level to reach this round since 1975.

• Aren't Maldon and Chichester the same level?

Surely the danger of a live game between a league team and a team of that level, espec. with the league team at home is that the league team get a couple of goals up in the first few minutes and then for any neutral, very dull. Obvs risk at any level, but higher in these circumstances. Isn't that why they introduced the eight game highlights system where they want to be there to catch the story but don't have to feature too much if it gets one sided. As a neutral, would you turn on Tranmere v chichester. Would you stay watching once tranmere got two goals up?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Lowest since Chasetown in 07/08? I have vague recollections of their game v Cardiff being televised, but they were at home. Then there was Harrogate Railway (possibly from the same level) v Bristol City in 02/03. If I've got it right and they were both eighth tier too, Chichester are only the third side from that level to reach this round since 1975.

Cheers, think the last bit must have been the bit I half-caught from somewhere.

• Ah yeah, M&T are from the same division, so make that third and fourth teams - assuming I've not gone wrong somewhere along the way.