Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup)

Comments

• What’s to be done about Morgan Ferrier. He was a hell of a handful at Walsall last season and, listening to the commentary, again this afternoon when he came on.

• edited November 2019

@micra said:
    What’s to be done about Morgan Ferrier. He was a hell of a handful at Walsall last season and, listening to the commentary, again this afternoon when he came on.

Kick him?

• Did cross my mind.!

• Nah, Gaz is cleverer than that. If he can stop Marcus Maddison, he can stop anyone.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@micra said:
    What’s to be done about Morgan Ferrier. He was a hell of a handful at Walsall last season and, listening to the commentary, again this afternoon when he came on.

Kick him?

He had a couple of decent runs but also mucked up a fair bit. Nothing really to be afraid of.

• Thought we did really well in the second half. The first half was a fairly poor affair, low on quality. The first 15 mins of the second were excellent, we looked very very good. How the lino didn't see the ball go out for their goal I will never know, and overall the officiating was poor. We were the better team, and restricted them to speculative shots from 25 yards for most of the game. They looked sloppy, and overall quite a poor side

• Oh, I forgot about Chichester. Them at home?

• Why are Stourbridge a “horrible lot”? I thought they acquitted themselves well on and off the pitch that time.

• Yeah I quite like Stourbridge.

• edited November 2019

I meant the fans, but I've got them mixed up with Leatherhead's gobby following who left the gates outside the ground in an absolute state - although there was a horribly foul-mouthed lot from Stourbridge in a box behind me.

• Stourbridge fans were superb when they came to AP

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I'm happy to play in Tuesday's game tbh

You might have to

• Will we replicate Rovers generosity by charging a fiver entrance for the replay?

• A very, very good question.

• Tenner for adults though wasn't it? Fiver concessions?

• It’s interesting to see how individual views vary on the same player whilst watching the same game. Unlike Micra evidently, I thought Morgan Ferrier last season playing at Walsall against us was very poor, all fancy feet but absolutely no end product.

He certainly was pulling Michael Harriman one way and then the other, but then would wait for him to recover his position before doing it again. I may be old school, but having beaten his man I want my winger to advance down the wing and get a cross in or come infield and take on the centre back. None of which he did effectively making his nice tricks essentially pleasing on the eye but wholly redundant.

It was interesting that as Walsall began their slide down the table to relegation, he was left out of the team, essentially a luxury player that Walsall could not afford to carry when results were not going well.

I wasn’t at Tranmere yesterday so have no idea if he has improved his decision making in the intervening year. There is definitely a player in there, which probably with coaching can be brought on but certainly I would doubt Gareth would change personnel or tactics to deal with him.

• Can anyone at the game tell me why our full backs were on opposite sides for Tranmere's second goal? Just seen the highlights and thought it looked odd

• Can't really comment as I'm only just beginning to thaw out, goodness it felt cold. After we went ahead, the game seemed to hinge upon substitutions and to some extent (to my mind) on this occasion, there seemed more impact from the Tranmere changes than ours. No complaints as I felt a draw was a fair result.

• We definitely weren’t watching the same game @Dickie ! I don’t trust the ticker sufficiently to go to away games now and my comment about Morgan Ferrier being “a handful” was based purely on what I’d read and heard said about him. Your comments are reassuring and your reference to “fancy feet but no end product” was, I admit, exactly the same as my description of Rolando Aarons’ early performances for us. Ferrier has had a lot of clubs for a 24 year old which may suggest a lack of consistency, if nothing else.

• @Malone said:
    Tenner for adults though wasn't it? Fiver concessions?

Assumed everyone on the Gasroom was a concession ??‍?

• edited November 2019

Updated possible non-League opponents for round two:

Boston
    Notts County
    Maidstone
    Fylde
    Solihull Moors
    Stourbridge/Eastleigh
    Dover
    Bromley (replay v Bristol Rovers)
    Maldon & Tiptree
    Kingstonian
    Wrexham (replay v Rochdale)
    Altrincham
    Harrogate (play Pompey tomorrow night)

Tbh, if we get through the replay, I'd take anyone League Two or lower at home.

• could finally be the return of Ruth.....

• Would love Bromley. Got a few family who go regularly.

• edited November 2019

Worth noting that Maidstone, Bromley and Harrogate have artificial pitches, so to be avoided away.

• We all know we'll get someone tough away, thus making it the worst scenario, having still to get through round 1!

• Disagree @Malone. For those of us of a miserable disposition (I’ve lived in Yorkshire far too long) a depressing 2nd round draw means we can look forward to the replay knowing that if we lose it doesn’t REALLY matter and if by some miracle we do win I can look forward to bleakly predicting a 2-0 loss to whoever it is we end up playing.

• I keep forgetting Chichester. They're gonna go and knock us out now.

• @bookertease said:
    Disagree @Malone. For those of us of a miserable disposition (I’ve lived in Yorkshire far too long) a depressing 2nd round draw means we can look forward to the replay knowing that if we lose it doesn’t REALLY matter and if by some miracle we do win I can look forward to bleakly predicting a 2-0 loss to whoever it is we end up playing.

Yep, that's one angle I suppose.

And you don't want that situation the other year where we'd have played Liverpool if we'd beaten Wimbledon (was it?)

• If we’d beaten Leicester we’d have played Liverpool in the semifinals.

• edited November 2019

@micra said:
    If we’d beaten Leicester we’d have played Liverpool in the semifinals.

Pretty sure that erm..did happen? Unless I dreamt it.
    Unless you're thinking I'm for some reason talking about beating Wimbledon in the cup run year!