Skip to content

Ipswich tickets are 27 quid!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• edited November 2019

The word "naturally" gives it a pure arrogance.

Let's hope they ruck up their campaign, and stay in this tier!

Although I seem to remember Orient charging £25 at their ground in league 2 the other season.

Ohhh, you're in London, that's ok then!

• @Malone said:
    The word "naturally" gives it a pure arrogance.

Let's hope they ruck up their campaign, and stay in this tier!

Although I seem to remember Orient charging £25 at their ground in league 2 the other season.

Ohhh, you're in London, that's ok then!

The London excuse at least has some valid reasoning, the Ipswich one is just "we couldn't be bothered to restructure our prices"

• I might be reading too much into it but from this tweet I'm not sure if Wycombe's preferred option might be for fans not to go and watch it online instead anyway:

• Hmm, I'm sure they always mention iFollow but not sure they have in the Tweet itself before.

• yeah, it's not that they mentioned ifollow, like you said they always do

It's just the sort of matter of factness of the tweet, rather than the enthusiastic promotion of a top of the table clash. No imploring us to get our tickets and travel in numbers to cheer the lads on.

There just seems a lack of excitement about it that accompanies so much of their other output (for example the current drive to get 6,000 home supporters to the Doncaster game). They've just made one of the biggest games in our football league history sound a bit run of the mill.

Like I said, it might just be me

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2019

What do you want? A poem? It's not the FA Cup!

I imagine we will be resting a lot of players at Ipswich with (hopefully) our most important game of the season so far the following Saturday

• iFollow being pushed as Rob Couhig sees it as an important revenue stream and the club would make more money from someone buying the game on iFollow than if that person were to buy a ticket for the match itself.

• Revenue to Wycombe from ticket sales 0

Revenue to Wycombe from ifollow views through our platform... £8

Not as romantic, but it's certainly a handy little earner.

Unless teams are doing it to us in our midweek home games, then it might counter balance!

• I did try once more, following the reply from the Ipswich club secretary, asking this:

Many thanks for your reply. So, is your position that Wycombe fans and fans of the other twenty-two teams in the divison should have to pay more because Ipswich were playing in the Championship last season? Can we assume then, that if you are fortunate enough to achieve promotion this year that next year's games will be priced more in line with League One?

To which the response came back:

I like your thinking. I think the point I was hopefully making was that historically the prices have been higher here, because of the higher divisions that the Club has been in.

I'm afraid there are some logical steps being taken that I'm unable to follow...

• Glenny, if we went down a division, do you think the club would suddenly strip a fiver off pricing?

• Costs don't automatically drop by a set amount and if a small drop only in prices is acceptable to their fans they aren't going to take less than they can get away with just to be fair to us... he's kind of trying to say without admitting it.

• To be fair, until a cap is introduced, clubs can and will charge what they like. It might seem greedy from Ipswich - I mean, yeah, it is expensive - but they're well within their right.

• Personally, I think we're very competitively priced within the division as it stands, and even as a non-season ticket holder at the moment I would not have complained if prices had been raised a few pounds as a result of us going up.

If the question is of the principle, then yes, I do think that price should bear comparison to the standard of divisional football, and should we be promoted or relegated I would hope that the club would consider reviewing the prices either way. That seems reasonable to me.

If the question is of our specific pricing, then (like everyone else) I think it needs to be looked at in the context of the rest of the league, which is why I offered the point of comparison with Sunderland and Portsmouth initially. We may well find ourselves priced at about average for league two sides with equivalent infrastructure (I haven't looked), we may end up on the high side, in which case I'd hope that the clun would consider bringing the cost down. One of the many reasons I love being a Wycombe fan is that I think we're tremendously affordable to be able to follow, and I'm grateful to the club for that.

It seems to me that Ipswich have not taken either consideration into view. That's their prerogative, of course, but I see no harm in raising the point with them - even if I'm ultimately unable to persuade them otherwise.

• iFollow (WWFC) on this one for me.

• Me too.

• @glenny prices DID go up when we went up

• Ah, there you go. So yes, if we went down I'd hope they returned to what they were last time we played in league two.

• I wonder how many clubs do reduce pricing on relegation, say between championship and league 1, and league 1 and league 2.

I'm sure you'd have to reduce it if you slip into non league!

• Looking at below, it suggests Ipswich did reduce their prices by £3 for our seats this season, which to be fair to them is a considerable drop.

As has already been picked up on, £27 to follow your team away in League One compared to the Premier League away cap of £30 is just ridiculous though!

https://www.itfc.co.uk/siteassets/files/season-ticket-201819/1819-price-plan-v3.pdf

• It’s what causes football pricing inflation. Club gets relegated from the division above while still paying their players the higher wage structure. “We need to charge these prices as a result”.

As somebody said, there should be a price cap for away fans in each division. The same is true for programmes. Premier League clubs charge more for something that’s akin to a marketing brochure. When Wycombe put the programme up to £3.50 I stopped buying it. I wonder how many other clubs will try & charge £3.50 “because Wycombe do”?

Ivor Beeks once said at an AGM “We’ve got to be careful not to price ourselves out”. But of course football clubs always do & then end up with a crisis. Sunderland has to cut their wage bill this season but have since got a £10 million lump sum of extra investment. But will that be spent wisely or used to pay overpaid, overrated has-beens?

• edited November 2019

I'd be surprised if the programme is still going at a lot of clubs in a few seasons' time, but it's too much of a habit for me to stop because of a price hike. That said, I'm sure it wasn't as much as £3.50 at the one Premier League game I went to last season (at Watford).

• I don't see why £27 to watch Wycombe away is any more outrageous than £30 to watch a Premier League team away. None of us follow Wycombe in order to watch a team of Galaticos bamboozle the opposition with 90 mins of silky football. We go to away matches because of our emotional attachment to a bunch of players who will give us, ideally, 90 mins of blood and guts, wear-it-on-the-sleeve dramatics and, also ideally, three points to bring back to Adams Park. We get as much entertainment as any other set of supporters and the entertainment lasts just as long (actually probably a tad longer, most weekends).

The cost of staffing and maintaining a stadium is probably proportionate from Premier League to League One (though willing to be proved wrong by stattos). And I would imagine our supporters' average disposable income is probably about the same as most Premier League clubs' supporters as well (ditto). So why should we pay less? After all, it costs about the same to watch an opera staged in Leeds or Manchester as it does at the Colesium or Royal Opera House, unless you want a seat in the executive boxes. And while the performers may be of a higher standard in London, you'll struggle to find someone paying £25 to watch an opera outside the big two Houses who will come away thinking they've been robbed.

• On that logic why shouldn't flackwell heath charge the same as premier league clubs?

• I used to buy a programme every game.
    Then you get to a certain age and think, I've 100s and 100s of these.

And you're really not going to read them again. But they start taking up tonnes or room.

Special occasions only now

• You'd expect to pay more to see a world renowned opera star compared to a relatively unknown one

• Tickets in the stalls for La Boheme at the Lowry in (Salford) Manchester in November are £48 for the stalls.

The minimum price for the ‘orchestra stalls’ for La Traviata in December at the Royal Opera House in London is £116.

• It's a fatuous comparison anyway, for so many reasons

• @Username said:
    You'd expect to pay more to see a world renowned opera star compared to a relatively unknown one

Actually, you wouldn't. Opera is surprisingly affordable - you can get standing tickets to the Royal Opera from £7 or seats from £15 and see some of the world's greatest stars perform on incredibly intricate sets, accompanied by a rousing chorus and first-rate orchestra. What the opera does very well is tiered pricing, so the best seats can cost around £500 each to subsidise the cheap seats in the balcony. Admittedly, a large public grant helps as well but the point is that prices for professional opera are consistent across houses around the country, no matter how renowned the performer - because opera is not just about the size of the individual star but immersing yourself in the whole experience. Much like football.

We've been spoilt with relatively cheap football at Adams Park over the last few years and I expect one of the unpopular decisions the Couhigs will make over the summer will be a review of prices. I do think a lot more could be done with tiered pricing, much like the theatre. I don't think we'll be getting people paying £500 a match to see Wycombe but there must be more that can be done to get the club's more wealthy supporters to pay more for the best seats in the house to keep the prices lower for those who struggle to afford to come.

The one ground where all ticket prices should be a lot cheaper are at the Kingsmeadow. We should never be paying more than a tenner at Wimbledon, given every position in their terrace is effectively a restricted view.

• Not sure about the opera, both not my area and heavily subsidised.

The Kingsmeadow point, and Gillingham are two pretty clear examples though of shoving visiting fans in the crappiest part of the ground with poor facilities and charging them the same or more, that's what should not be allowed by EFL or trading standards types. Club's will keep their regulars happy but shouldn't be able to fleece the visitors who go home and away and deserve a bit more respect.

• They shouldn't have brought the Frank Adams centre two blocks in line with the rest of the Frank Adams. I'm sure a couple who sit there who post(ed) on here said they were happy to pay the premium for those "best" seats.

Increasing pricing is inevitable next season anyway - let's hope for the magical promotion that makes it unarguable.