Skip to content

Select committee report scathing of the EFL

edited November 2019 in Football

And their handling in particular of the Bury disaster.

I seem to remember certain posters exonerating the EFL of all responsibility. Dev, if I recall correctly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50302522

Comments

• edited November 2019

Correction : it is a select committee report, not a government report, now corrected in thread title

• You’ll get the usual apologists on here who will argue there is nothing the EFL can really do to prevent bad owners running clubs into the ground.

Of course that’s absolute nonsense. Membership of the EFL is a privilege, not a right, and bad owners should have their clubs taken from them, or ejected from the league, if they don’t comply.

• https://gasroom.org/discussion/4834/bury/

Maybe Dev should have been called onto the select committee to give some balance.

• Nothing in there (at least in the news article, I’ve not looked at the report itself) that really tackles the underlying issue, which is that it costs far more to run lower league football clubs than the money they generate.

All the things suggested would be sufficient if we were in a world where well run clubs exist and operate successfully and sustainably, and clubs fail because of irresponsible, incompetent or malicious owners. However, we are in the significantly worse position that the finances of lower league clubs don’t add up even if the owners do everything right - and that leaves clubs more vulnerable, needing outside funding and not always being able to be picky about where it comes from.

• Its a letter not a report - https://twitter.com/CommonsCMS scroll down to the tweet below the "business update". its only three pages and written in readable English not legalese.

Some things in there that personally I would not support (bonds and early expulsion of clubs from league) and a fair bit of stuff that appears to me would require legislation. Essentially though it proposes moving the structure from the current collection of football league clubs organising themselves collectively into a league to moving the power to the league (accountable to who?) and the clubs mere vassals or franchises of the central body. Its quite a major change - not something to be done lightly in response to a media storm (remember the dangerous dogs act). Not sure to be honest whether its something I would see as a good idea or not.

• The premier league should give a million quid to each league one and league two club every season. A pittance to them but would help clubs maintain some sort of competition. Does not solve the owners problem but would be a dependable lifeline.

• They already do @Wendoverman - well almost. Figure for this season is £700k with a further £600k or so coming from the EFL TV deal. For a club of WWFC size that combined money is getting close to total gate receipts.

• Nothing being said about the clubs “cheating” to gain promotion or the millions owed when the went into administration and the money owed to the tax man.

• That’s excellent @DevC . Do you have the corresponding figures for the Championship (?!)

• that's interesting @DevC so the PL give us £700K? I never knew that.

• Thankfully, nothing about the EFL outlawing shithousery!

• The PL could give 2 million to each club, all that would happen is it would inflate the wage bill to players & agents. Until there is some form of salary cap & players pay their agents, not the clubs the financing will continue to be a problem. There has to be some form of agreement with all member clubs that can be enforced to ensure the future for all.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    The PL could give 2 million to each club, all that would happen is it would inflate the wage bill to players & agents. Until there is some form of salary cap & players pay their agents, not the clubs the financing will continue to be a problem. There has to be some form of agreement with all member clubs that can be enforced to ensure the future for all.

This is it.
    When people talk of creating a "pot" to support clubs in financial peril, this in theory sounds a good idea, but in reality would let clubs know they can be reckless and be bailed out.

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    The PL could give 2 million to each club, all that would happen is it would inflate the wage bill to players & agents. Until there is some form of salary cap & players pay their agents, not the clubs the financing will continue to be a problem. There has to be some form of agreement with all member clubs that can be enforced to ensure the future for all.

This is it.
    When people talk of creating a "pot" to support clubs in financial peril, this in theory sounds a good idea, but in reality would let clubs know they can be reckless and be bailed out.

Needs proper regulation, spot checks and auditing, registering processes and transactions etc rather than a weak entry test and left alone.

• I know people don’t like talking about Rugby by it’s pleasing to see how they’ve hammered Saracens with a 35 point deduction and £5M for basically taking the piss out of the salary cap. Football could learn a lot (okay so it took a few years...)

• @bookertease said:
    I know people don’t like talking about Rugby by it’s pleasing to see how they’ve hammered Saracens with a 35 point deduction and £5M for basically taking the piss out of the salary cap. Football could learn a lot (okay so it took a few years...)

They won multiple titles by flat out cheating, I'm shocked they haven't been relegated and their titles stripped like Juve were for match fixing l. Not as much grey area as Ffp in football with a flat salary cap which is the same for all teams.

• @Username said:

@bookertease said:
    I know people don’t like talking about Rugby by it’s pleasing to see how they’ve hammered Saracens with a 35 point deduction and £5M for basically taking the piss out of the salary cap. Football could learn a lot (okay so it took a few years...)

They won multiple titles by flat out cheating, I'm shocked they haven't been relegated and their titles stripped like Juve were for match fixing l. Not as much grey area as Ffp in football with a flat salary cap which is the same for all teams.

I think the other teams...though happy with the fine and point decduction...decided that they did not want to be given the titles in that manner. Which I can understand. Quote from Exeter owner about possibly being given the titles retrospectively in the Torygraph was something like 'We won't get those days back...it would mean nothing to us...'

• @Wendoverman said:

@Username said:

@bookertease said:

I think the other teams...though happy with the fine and point decduction...decided that they did not want to be given the titles in that manner. Which I can understand. Quote from Exeter owner about possibly being given the titles retrospectively in the Torygraph was something like 'We won't get those days back...it would mean nothing to us...'

That's understandable. Maybe an MLB style asterisk next to the tainted titles then.

• The asterisks were discussed on the radio last night and seemed a favourable option. The Exeter chairman (whose team lost out on the last 2 titles I think) came over quite well I thought. Like he said ultimately the best team won the silverware just a shame they had to bend, break and incinerate the rules to assemble such a team

• @bookertease said:

Heard a bit about the story on the radio, and instantly presumed it was Man City they'd finally clamped down on.
    Then heard it was rugby!

• Whilst Chelsea are a nice story at the moment with English youth you'd have to think they knew what they were doing and the stockpiling wasn't by accident.

• There’s so much wrong with the governance of football it’s difficult to know where to start.
    A salary cap is needed but it won’t happen. The premier league needs to distribute more of its wealth but it won’t happen. The EFL need to regulate who’s buying clubs but...