Skip to content

Success of the ticketing app

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/november/wanderers-fans-embrace-ticketco-technology/

Not sure if this has already been shared, but the facts are on the face of them quite remarkable.

New technology systems can often be an absolute disaster when they first go live, and/or a colossal waste of money and effort if no-one uses them them.

So hats off to everyone involved for making this a smooth and effective transition.

Comments

• Sounds like a good addition but I'd be interested to know what amount of the revenue per ticket comes to the club compared to the old system.

As a season ticket holder I've not needed to use it so far. I wonder if I'll be pushed that way at renewal time?

• It's very good to be fair, once you've signed up you can get tickets or beer pretty in a few clicks and save queuing in person or on the phone. Free up the kiosk staff to help those who need it.

• Their website suggests its a fixed cost per ticket sold, rather than a rev share:

https://start.ticketco.events/uk/pricing/

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Sounds like a good addition but I'd be interested to know what amount of the revenue per ticket comes to the club compared to the old system.

As a season ticket holder I've not needed to use it so far. I wonder if I'll be pushed that way at renewal time?

Yes, you will be. Your season ticket next season will be a bar code type thing on your phone

• Do you mean turnstile staff or are they doubling up? Or am I just being thick?

• @micra said:
    Do you mean turnstile staff or are they doubling up? Or am I just being thick?

Turnstiles aren't really affected except they scan every ticket so you get a better idea of who is coming in. I meant staff at the ticket offices, they should have far less people buying over the phone or the counter if the majority are buying online. Could either save money by needing less or reduce queuing.

• Worth noting away tickets are often cheaper in advance (including upcoming Tranmere games) using this service and can be collected at the turnstile.

• An obvious next step in this would be to introduce self-scanning technology at the turnstiles and do away with those staff as is the case and many grounds. Barnet & Wembley spring immediately to mind.
    Not sure if that actually saves money, but it might long term. However, if you can then use those staff to reduce queues at food kiosks I'd be in favour.

• @eric_plant said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Sounds like a good addition but I'd be interested to know what amount of the revenue per ticket comes to the club compared to the old system.

Yes, you will be. Your season ticket next season will be a bar code type thing on your phone

Oh dear. I have **** all on my phone. I don't do apps as a rule.

• Ticket on phone not ideal if you have kids who don't have their own phones.

• edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Hopefully I'll get a phone by then then.
    Will it work on a landline?

• I used it for the first time on Saturday. Normally I would go to the ticket office around 2.40pm to queue for a ticket in the upper tier and then get it just on kick-off.

However, my friend told me about the app so I downloaded it (whilst finishing my pint) and had time for another cheeky half. Even that small amount of efficiency generated revenue for the club with the extra drink that I bought. Win all round

• There will always have to be an alternative for those luddites amongst us.

Or those of us who don't want to be beholden to having to have a charged phone at all times.

• I wouldn't bank on the alternatives being particularly convenient for too long though.

Times move on

• If you don't have a phone you can print it off

You just need that bar code type thing which works on the scanners at the turnstiles

• edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:
    If you don't have a phone you can print it off

You just need that bar code type thing which works on the scanners at the turnstiles

Good point, so long as you have the QR code somewhere legible you'll be able to get in.

Phone / tablet / watch / papercould get your season ticket tattooed on your arm if you really wanted to

• @Username said:

@eric_plant said:
    If you don't have a phone you can print it off

Good point, so long as you have the QR code somewhere legible you'll be able to get in.

Phone / tablet / watch / papercould get your season ticket tattooed on your arm if you really wanted to

Don't give the home office any ideas, all football fans to be micro chipped...

On the app it would be handy if you could bookmark Wycombe so you didn't need to search for it every time or have a separate branded app but it's pretty good