Skip to content

FA Cup poem 2019

It's beginning to feel a lot like.... that week in early November when the FA Cup starts*

This year's poem is OUT NOW on Phil Catchpole's wonderful podcast 'Catchpole FM' [known in some regions as Ringing The Blues] so if you like ear content [and you should] then go and pod yourself up.

If you want to consume with your eyes then I'll post it here on Wednesday in the traditional way.

*yeah I know but come on

Comments

• historic moment

the last 1st round one you'll ever have to do

• Is it you reciting @oilysailor ?

• Superfluous question. Have just been into the thread.

• @micra said:
    Is it you reciting @oilysailor ?

That honour fell to Ballroom Bill.

• Welcome home sir.

• Must have misread the posts on the thread. Will listen to podcast itself this afternoon but thanks @StrongestTeam.

• Just listened to the podcast. Superb effort.

I'm sure this tradition goes back before 2008, perhaps to the 2001 Cup run. I have certainly messaged @oilysailor on more than one occasion to ensure it is not lost.

• @LX1 said:
    Just listened to the podcast. Superb effort.

I'm sure this tradition goes back before 2008, perhaps to the 2001 Cup run. I have certainly messaged @oilysailor on more than one occasion to ensure it is not lost.

possibly yeah, I think it was all a bit ad hoc and random until the late 2000s anyway

• @eric_plant said:
    historic moment

the last 1st round one you'll ever have to do

FA Cup Poem 2020 [syntax error; does not exist]

• I believe the first FA Cup poem was the famous series of 'You'll Always Be Non-League' haikus dedicated to the plucky non-leaguers from Headington when they bravely qualified for the 1st round proper of the FA Cup in 2007.

• Isn't ear content just wax?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Isn't ear content just wax?

That had me puzzled until I scrolled back to the OP. Hair also tends to take root there in later years.

• Hair today, bone tomorrow?

• Pardon....speak up!

• Nice irony. I’m off to the ENT Centre in Beaconsfield in a couple of hours for a hearing test. A nurse whispering to me no doubt. Better warn her about the ticker.
    (Might be him of course.)

• Apologies for derailment and to @ChasHarps for what might be seen as an inappropriately sexist element.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    I believe the first FA Cup poem was the famous series of 'You'll Always Be Non-League' haikus dedicated to the plucky non-leaguers from Headington when they bravely qualified for the 1st round proper of the FA Cup in 2007.

hmm yes that does seem familiar. Be amazing if Gasman has them backed up on some sort of stick

• @oilysailor said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:
    I believe the first FA Cup poem was the famous series of 'You'll Always Be Non-League' haikus dedicated to the plucky non-leaguers from Headington when they bravely qualified for the 1st round proper of the FA Cup in 2007.

hmm yes that does seem familiar. Be amazing if Gasman has them backed up on some sort of stick

some of the gasroom is backed up on the internet archive web.archive.org but you'd need to know exactly when or it'd takes ages

• The FA Cup poems over the last decade or so shouldn't take too long to find, as we know that 1) they were all written by Sir Oily Sailor, and 2) they were all posted just before the FA Cup 1st Rd proper each year...

If they can be gathered up and put together as an anthology it would be just fantastic!

• Unfortunately it seems like search engines have not indexed most of the gasroom, perhaps 'no crawl' is enabled.

So an advanced google search doesn't work.