Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• Ipswich don't have a game next Saturday. I don't think it needs pointing out what that means

• Sounds like El Tel's Christmas tree

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Ipswich don't have a game next Saturday. I don't think it needs pointing out what that means

We won't be three points off first afterwards?

• it's amazing when you think of how that's the same midfield 3 that started during our terrible run at the start of the year. it's such a beautifully fickle and ever changing game

• @prufrock_91 said:
    it's amazing when you think of how that's the same midfield 3 that started during our terrible run at the start of the year. it's such a beautifully fickle and ever changing game

It's when you look at some of the games and despite bringing in 12 (was it?) players this summer, we're still putting out high numbers who were here last season.

8 starting today.

• One of the more intriguing aspects of our brilliant (and to me totally unexpected) start is that we are regularly starting with around 8 of last years squad.

I honestly can’t recall ever being prouder of my team in 50+ years than I am at the moment

• Interesting that in the GA 3CR interview after the match he was much more optimistic and all but said that the season is now about more than survival. The season is turning into something unexpectedly exciting!

• Of course. Even Gaz can't be talking about just staying up, when there's only 3 relegation spots, with Bolton marooned 15-20 behind even 2nd bottom, as we're sat joint top of the league!!

He'll know we have a real chance of doing something. Week by week we'll find out how good a something that is!

• I feel like I'm in some kind of magical dreamland and dare not think seriously about what might be happening.

• edited October 2019

After 15 games last season: 4 wins, 6 draws, 5 defeats, 18 points, 20 for, 21 against, 14th
    After 15 games this season: 8 wins, 6 draws, 1 defeat, 30 points, 24 for, 14 against, 2nd

I'd say about 50% of the team was the same, with others here now coming in and out, so it's not like we've undergone a complete overhaul. Tightening up defensively has been key to our recent fortunes, which has been helped by the settled nature of the back line.

• Just back from Rotherham and absolutely buzzing at the end of a memorable week on and off the field. We have a very special group of players and a outstanding management team. Great to read such positivity on the Gasroom and I agree with the comment about the excellent support

• Reading the match reports, it sounded as if the goal was from a defensive mistake, but that's a huge disservice to a great pass from Charles and a lovely finish from Kashket. Not that I'm overly fussed how are goals come about, but good to see us scoring from open play again.

• edited October 2019

Could have sworn it was Tools with the assist

• Possibly. It was a fine pass whoever it was, just the sort of ball Kashket thrives on.

• Absolutely incredible. The Christmas period will be the real test. From memory we have Oxford, Coventry, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich all within 4 days or so of eachother.

If we can get through these games then I will really start believing. From what we have experienced so far, there are no teams to fear in this division. It's definitely not as strong as it was but that's no discredit to us. Magnificent.

• Pompey away, Coventry and Ipswich at home, and Posh away all within 15 days. Then back to normal with the trip to Sunderland.

• Although Posh away will more likely be Liverpool away in the Cup

• edited October 2019

For those pointing out last season's regulars, it is also worth mentioning that Stewart, Jacobson, Gape, Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket and Bayo were also all League TWO regulars for us, yet are contributing massively to a top League One team! Not to mention Sido, who will not doubt have his time in the sun at some point this year.

• Love this comment from one of the Rotherham forums.

My main issue is why, at NYS, are we dominated by lesser teams ( Shrews, Tranmere, Lincoln, Wycombe) when we have a squad with greater quality than all these Teams?

Lesser teams..... I wonder how many other teams in this league think of us as a ‘lesser team’. I look forward to another three points in the reverse fixture.

• Funny how fans of pretty much every team we've beaten have thought we're not up to much.

• The more we’re dismissed/insulted by opposition fans, the more I enjoy knowing that we’re doing something right.

• Plenty of fans recognise where their own team was poor, but how often do you see them give credit to the opposition for making that the case? We're catching an awful lot of teams on a bad day to get to where we are through luck...

• What a day. What a result. Bayo’s 20 minute cameo was absolutely wonderful. Everyone did their job admirably. It wasn't a spectacular performance by any stretch, but it was incredibly effective. Rocky didn’t have a save to make. My only slight concern is the number of knocks that key players seemed to have taken. Good job we’ve got the greatest squad depth we’ve ever had I guess.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Note to all Cohigs, the North American definition of a trapezium is different from that in Europe, in case our tactical line up today confused you.

Not sure they need enlightenment but at least spell their surname correctly.

• edited October 2019

@Gary said:
    Love this comment from one of the Rotherham forums.

My main issue is why, at NYS, are we dominated by lesser teams ( Shrews, Tranmere, Lincoln, Wycombe) when we have a squad with greater quality than all these Teams?

Lesser teams..... I wonder how many other teams in this league think of us as a ‘lesser team’. I look forward to another three points in the reverse fixture.

“Lesser teams” it’s great reading outraged losing opposition post match comments they are funnier the further they are from reality

• I am guessing Rotherham fans have joined the ranks of those who "would not want to watch that every week."

It's all very strange, as once a week does not seem often enough to me! This is a thrill ride currently.

• @Shev said:
    For those pointing out last season's regulars, it is also worth mentioning that Stewart, Jacobson, Gape, Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket and Bayo were also all League TWO regulars for us, yet are contributing massively to a top League One team! Not to mention Sido, who will not doubt have his time in the sun at some point this year.

Well said @Shev this is in my opinion even more remarkable than what was achieved under MON. For me Gareth is already the best ever Wycombe manager.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Absolutely incredible. The Christmas period will be the real test. From memory we have Oxford, Coventry, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich all within 4 days or so of eachother.

If we can get through these games then I will really start believing. From what we have experienced so far, there are no teams to fear in this division. It's definitely not as strong as it was but that's no discredit to us. Magnificent.

Those 5 within 4 days really would be a challenge!!

• One of the more frustrating things about attending away fixtures is a minority of people slating Bayo and his effectiveness.

In a nutshell, his substitute appearance summed up exactly what a crucial influence he has on proceedings. The man is a super hero.