Skip to content

FA Cup 1st Round Draw

Comments

• Hard to think how that could be worse.

• Chichester, the lowest-ranked team in the draw, got the bye.

• Be funny if they televised it

• Any other time I'd be made up, nearest team to me in the draw.

• Terrible draw.

• Awful uninspiring draw in all respects.

• Cheered all the league 1 teams coming up for others to play, then we still bloody get a league 1 lot.
    Dammit/

• Look at it this way: at least it could be useful for scouting them out.

• I've seen examples of teams playing each other in the cup one week and the league the next. But has it ever happened to us before? If so, I can't remember it... (I know we played Yeovil a lot in 1986/87 but don't think they were consecutive games)

• Do they still split a lot of the games Saturday and Sunday?

• I am delighted with the draw as another adventure on the train up to Birkenhead to a fantastic old school ground. Give it a go, stay at homes! It’s a great day out.

• Mr @glasshalffull gets a chance to attend a game & pop in to see a few relatives at the same time.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Mr @glasshalffull gets a chance to attend a game & pop in to see a few relatives at the same time.

You really are quite odious aren’t you? Get a grip man!

• Tranmere fan here, hope you don't mind me saying so but I make that a bit of a boring draw! Sure we would've both preferred a nice away tie at one of the seventh/eighth tier sides but not to be. All the same good luck and safe journeys for the coming game, be nice to see a few friendly faces in the Mersey Clipper before either game.

• @Onlooker said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Mr @glasshalffull gets a chance to attend a game & pop in to see a few relatives at the same time.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your post @EwanHoosaami and rushed too quickly to the defence of @glasshalffull who has been unfairly (in my opinion) treated on here of late. I have had a stressful day and was out of order.

• Thanks for your kind words Onlooker but I wasn’t in the least bit offended by the reference to my Merseyside roots, in fact I’m proud of them. Have a look at the League One table, that should ease your stress.

• And rightly so, Liverpool is a great city.

• edited October 2019

@Onlooker said:

@Onlooker said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

My apologies if I misinterpreted your post @EwanHoosaami and rushed too quickly to the defence of @glasshalffull who has been unfairly (in my opinion) treated on here of late. I have had a stressful day and was out of order.

Apologies accepted @onlooker. You clearly did misinterpret my post. It was a genuine comment meant that whilst some on here were disappointed with the draw, there was at least one, (Mr @glasshalffull) whom I imagined would be quietly pleased. At least you had the decency to apologise and I hope that as it's only the start of the week, your stress levels decrease before you have a coronary.
    Like yourself, I too believe that some of the ire directed at @glasshalffull on here is very unjustified. As the gentleman said, have a look at the league table and our record so far this season, it can have a soporific effect.?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I've seen examples of teams playing each other in the cup one week and the league the next. But has it ever happened to us before? If so, I can't remember it... (I know we played Yeovil a lot in 1986/87 but don't think they were consecutive games)

I was at the C*lU double header a few years ago, cup home then league away Saturday Tuesday. Won the cup on penalties and drew the league if memory serves.

Had to read the riot act to the Terrace for not creating enough atmosphere against such bitter rivals and was rewarded with a raised game and a chant of "Norway, Norway" upon arrival at the home of the Tesco carrier bags. Reminds me of another good chant actually...

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Onlooker said:

@Onlooker said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Apologies accepted @onlooker. You clearly did misinterpret my post. It was a genuine comment meant that whilst some on here were disappointed with the draw, there was at least one, (Mr @glasshalffull) whom I imagined would be quietly pleased. At least you had the decency to apologise and I hope that as it's only the start of the week, your stress levels decrease before you have a coronary.
    Like yourself, I too believe that some of the ire directed at @glasshalffull on here is very unjustified. As the gentleman said, have a look at the league table and our record so far this season, it can have a soporific effect.?

Thank you for your understanding. Your post followed shortly after my own championing the draw and I erroneously read yours as suggesting it was not worth attending unless visiting kith and kin. I will be at both Tranmere games as well as Blackpool tomorrow night. If only we had got the bye in the Cup. Talking of which I found the BBC coverage excellent. Reminded me of how exciting it was tuning in to hear the draw on a Monday lunchtime. I was genuinely excited as 90% of the home teams were read out, thinking we might be matched up for a more exotic away day.

• Talking of byes, while it was nice to see Chichester get a free pass into Round 2, it was incredible to see the club, who exist by the skin of their financial teeth, say they'll be giving a significant share of their unearned prize money to one of the Bury fan groups to help their rebuild. Superb gesture from the club. Hats off.

• Hats off indeed. Do miss @EddieMonsoon.

• Very disappointing I think the draw should go back to North/south for rounds 1and 2

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Talking of byes, while it was nice to see Chichester get a free pass into Round 2, it was incredible to see the club, who exist by the skin of their financial teeth, say they'll be giving a significant share of their unearned prize money to one of the Bury fan groups to help their rebuild. Superb gesture from the club. Hats off.

A fantastic gesture by Chichester but I must admit being amazed by the level of celebration for getting a bye. The lure of the cash beats the romance of a 1st round tie it seems.

• I think they were more celebrating reaching the 2nd round to be honest

• edited October 2019

Prize money for this one round equivalent to an entire seasons gate money not to be sniffed at either, plus guarantee of a day to remember in the Second round. Remarkable story that will live in the memories of those associated with the club for a lifetime.

• @eric_plant said:
    I think they were more celebrating reaching the 2nd round to be honest

Exactly. Has a club from the 8th tier ever reached the 3rd round (I'd be amazed if they had...)? They're now just one game away.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Talking of byes, while it was nice to see Chichester get a free pass into Round 2, it was incredible to see the club, who exist by the skin of their financial teeth, say they'll be giving a significant share of their unearned prize money to one of the Bury fan groups to help their rebuild. Superb gesture from the club. Hats off.

A fantastic gesture by Chichester but I must admit being amazed by the level of celebration for getting a bye. The lure of the cash beats the romance of a 1st round tie it seems.

Dear oh lore. You're a miserable guy as default aren't you.

• edited October 2019

@Last_Quarter said:

@eric_plant said:
    I think they were more celebrating reaching the 2nd round to be honest

Exactly. Has a club from the 8th tier ever reached the 3rd round (I'd be amazed if they had...)? They're now just one game away.

Chasetown were, as far as I'm aware, the first club from the eighth tier to reach the third round when they did it in 2007/08 - and I doubt it's been done since then.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

They've just moved from 2 games away, to 1 game away from being able to play a giant, and probably increased their chances of at least getting a "big" league club. As if the players were celebrating the cash