Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• I agree with Malone on both points. I also thought that Darius Charles summed up the attitude of some Sunderland fans in his excellent interview.

• Classic trip by JJ on O'nien visible on the highlights during the clip of McGeady's last minute shot. Not too much to make it obvious, but a very clear trip to leave him flat on his face!

• edited October 2019

I've just seen a Sunderland fan suggest that we have "little club syndrome", and I think that tops the lot.

• Thinking about it last night I first started following Wycombe in the early 1970s. We had to visit grounds like Clapton & the old Maidstone United ground - crumbling stadia overgrown with weeds.

Yesterday we beat Sunderland, a club who, at the same time, were beating Leeds United in the FA Cup Final. Clubs go up & clubs go down but the transformation during my time of watching Wycombe has been quite remarkable. Easy to overlook it though!!

• Nicely put @A_Worboys ... I first started (was allowed) to go in the mid to late 70s. What a difference indeed

• One of my first away games was the Old Spotted Dog Clapton, (which remarkably has survived redevelopment unscathed and is still a football ground) but it provides an interesting point of reference from where we've come from, to now playing (and beating) the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth, pretty bloody astonishing

• @RogertheBandito said:
    One of my first away games was the Old Spotted Dog Clapton, (which remarkably has survived redevelopment unscathed and is still a football ground) but it provides an interesting point of reference from where we've come from, to now playing (and beating) the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth, pretty bloody astonishing

It’s only just survived, left in a terrible state by McBean who has now been evicted with the lease awarded to Clapton CFC.

• Thanks for those amazing pictures drc, I'm so glad to hear that Vincent McBean has at last been finally booted out of the OSD.

• Anyone fancying a laugh on this Sunday evening should keep scrolling through the Sunderland fans forum, which is proving Charles' comments and then some...

"Our youth team should be able to get promoted from this division. It’s that poor."

"If we were in the Championship we shouldn’t think about anything else but going up . Being in this division is an affront to it’s history and the people who have loved it over the years. We are Sunderland Association Football Club. We should remember that and act like it"

And my personal favourite of someone genuinely not realising what league they are in...
    "Promotion is everything. I am sick of this league. It's embarrassing. We are a great club being run like a league one club.

Not good enough"

• @Croider said:
    Classic trip by JJ on O'nien visible on the highlights during the clip of McGeady's last minute shot. Not too much to make it obvious, but a very clear trip to leave him flat on his face!

Don't feel too sorry for O Nien, at least once he just totally bundled Bloomfield to the floor, way off the ball.

• @Brownie said:
    Anyone fancying a laugh on this Sunday evening should keep scrolling through the Sunderland fans forum, which is proving Charles' comments and then some...

"Our youth team should be able to get promoted from this division. It’s that poor."

"If we were in the Championship we shouldn’t think about anything else but going up . Being in this division is an affront to it’s history and the people who have loved it over the years. We are Sunderland Association Football Club. We should remember that and act like it"

And my personal favourite of someone genuinely not realising what league they are in...
    "Promotion is everything. I am sick of this league. It's embarrassing. We are a great club being run like a league one club.

Not good enough"

Always disliked teams that have A for association in their title. Poncy stuff.

• I fancy a laugh. Where is this Sunderland forum?

• @drcongo said:
    I fancy a laugh. Where is this Sunderland forum?

If you fancy a bit of light reading, there's 90 odd pages of Mackems going into full meltdown during the course of the game at https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-v-sunderland.1490758/

• Thanks!

• Some of their gallows stuff is ludicrous. A couple of wins and they're right back in the mix.
    Yes, they feel "too big" for their league, but that mentality gets them nowhere. Take Portsmouth, they had an even bigger dip!

• edited October 2019

O'Nien also had an embarrassing dive by the corner flag near the end, JJ was quite rightly asking where the booking was for simulation.

• For many years in the 70s & 80s the Chairman & owner of Clapton lived in Botley Road, Chesham. I had an open invitation to go & watch them anytime. In the 80s they had a wonderful, balding left-winger called Tony Mercer. He was easily good enough to play Football League but chose to play for Clapton.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Shithousery. Is that the Gasroom word of the year or something? Had never heard of it until a few months ago.

I got it from other fan forums upon which the worde is never far from the words Wycombe and Ainsworth ?

• O'Nien has always taken dives and rolled around theatrically.

• It’s hard work reading that Sunderland forum. Literacy levels like an entire forum full of Richies.

• @RogertheBandito said:
    One of my first away games was the Old Spotted Dog Clapton, (which remarkably has survived redevelopment unscathed and is still a football ground) but it provides an interesting point of reference from where we've come from, to now playing (and beating) the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth, pretty bloody astonishing

Only time I went to The Old Spotted Dog ground I foolishly went to Clapton and asked people if they knew where the ground was. By the time I found out it was 5 miles away in West Ham I missed the first half

• My personal favourite from the Sunderland "Gasroom"

"Getting bossed by Wycombe Wanderers - Grim"

I feel another tattoo coming on.

• Is it just me or is every other club's forum a pain in the bum to navigate?

• Love the trip from jj?actually thought onien acted a bit of a prat, i watched him a lot off the ball he was close to coming to heads with gape, sprayed a gel over freeman among other things and our lads didn't seem to be laughing at it.... im sure at the final whistle there was hugs

• @chairboyscentral No it isn't I find the same to the point that I stop looking at them.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Is it just me or is every other club's forum a pain in the bum to navigate?

Hundreds of comments with 1-3 word posts

Very tedious to read through to get to something insightful

• At least you can just scroll down. Remember the old gasroom, where you'd have to click into everyone's post, and THEN see 1-2 words!

• Disappointingly while I was sat next to @malone and his mate discussing pukki's poor form my seat in the beechdean had Wycombe fans on and around it! What sort of trust owned club is this when a season ticket holder is inconvenienced like that !

• @Stewie63 said:
    Looking forward to Phil Catchpole’s “The opposition’s view” read in a north east accent with some depressing music in the background.

'It were like takin bread to the end of an industrial estate...'

• @Wendoverman said:
    Disappointingly while I was sat next to @malone and his mate discussing pukki's poor form my seat in the beechdean had Wycombe fans on and around it! What sort of trust owned club is this when a season ticket holder is inconvenienced like that !

LOL.
    I genuinely don't know if you were close, or you guessed very well there :0