Skip to content

Darius Charles and quote of the season

What a clean sheet, goal and performance from Darius Charles today.

Surely the quote of the season!?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ollybarratt/status/1185653126377988097

Comments

• Have to take your word for it - that link doesn't work on my laptop.

• @HCblue said:
    Have to take your word for it - that link doesn't work on my laptop.

Not on my smart phone either?

• I think we need to add "Our House" to our match day music What about it?

• The kind of classy, well grounded, committed individual that you'd expect GA to admire and want in the dressing room.
    We're so lucky, as fans of the club we love, to have them around.

• He is a special bloke

I love him

• edited October 2019

He is just an amazing bloke. I hope we give him a well earned rest on Tuesday - not least because he carried the whole Beast on his back and has probably strained every muscle in his body.

• Phillips or Sido?

• @micra said:
    Phillips or Sido?

Sido anyday

• On ability and experience, of course. Just wondered if this might be a suitable opportunity to give the promising left-sided central defender some more match experience as part of his development whilst on loan.

• @chairboyscentral Can players not play Sat / Tues / Sat anymore? He has just had a 2 week rest, and after Rotherham has another 7 days recovery. I appreciate the concept of rotation but it can be taken too far sometimes and potentially upset team rhythms, key partnerships, etc.

I appreciate he's a special case in terms of his fitness, though - and i do note the hint of jocularity in your post re Bayo's celebrations.

Maybe after years of not even being guaranteed a full bench, I'm taking a long time to adapt to this concept, in the context of WWFC.

• edited October 2019

I'm not sure it would do that much harm, and it would be ideal to get some league minutes into Sido's legs. Rotherham will likely be a much tougher game, so if he can only play one out of two, it should be that one. That said, I hope he does play both!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @chairboyscentral Can players not play Sat / Tues / Sat anymore? He has just had a 2 week rest, and after Rotherham has another 7 days recovery. I appreciate the concept of rotation but it can be taken too far sometimes and potentially upset team rhythms, key partnerships, etc.

I appreciate he's a special case in terms of his fitness, though - and i do note the hint of jocularity in your post re Bayo's celebrations.

Maybe after years of not even being guaranteed a full bench, I'm taking a long time to adapt to this concept, in the context of WWFC.

Having retired from the game due to injury earlier this year I'd have expected a slightly more restrained reaction to resting him.

• edited October 2019

@Right_in_the_Middle 1) He's returned to the game, looking fit, and playing well. I like him in the team, he gives solidity, experience and confidence. 2) As I said: "I appreciate he's a special case in terms of his fitness". 3) My general point was a discussion around rotation generally, and how delicately balanced some decisions are.

• @chairboyscentral Re Sido - yes, that's the other side of the coin. Mickey Mouse cup games are a stepping stone, but league games are naturally more intense. If Sido can slot in as well as Thompson did on his return, then there's no problem. I guess i might be worrying unnecessarily. My general point was that after being the victim of the international break, everyone is fresh. I know he rested Charles for the last midweek game, but in that scenario he'd also played the previous two weeks. The other factor I've been reflecting on is keeping the squad happy. So far, injuries/suspensions have limited some of the really tough decisions. Good problems, as they say.

• I'd expect GA to pick whatever he thinks is the strongest starting 11, depending on tactics, on Tuesday and worry about Saturday afterwards.
    That said I'd be surprised not to see the same team again with possibly Wheeler missing out in place of Kashket due to the head knock.
    Although TBH if he played Sido, Phillips, Mascoll, Pattison, Thompson, Smith, Onyedimna I think we would still see the same level of performance such is the squad at the moment. (Ok, that might be a bit tongue in cheek).

• Allsop

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Sido
    JJ

Thompson
    Gape
    Freeman

Kashket
    Parker
    Aarons

But then again, what do I know?

• Good points on both sides to the question of resting Charles or not.

While continuity is great, especially in a centre defensive partnership, it's more of a squad game this year than we've seen in all of Gaz's time here.

The next 2 games are tough.
    Whereas after that we have a 4 game spell with 3 cup games. It's a shame in a way these two aways aren't mixed in a bit with those, as we could have done a lot more rotation in those.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Allsop

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Sido
    JJ

Thompson
    Gape
    Freeman

Kashket
    Parker
    Aarons

But then again, what do I know?

I'd go similar.
    Bayo was out on his feet, so it'd be a huge ask to start again so soon. Parker hasn't had many chances, but with Samuel also out, this looks a great opportunity.

Kashket/Wheeler/Fred returning would be my only selection query.

Maybe Ainsworth might give Mascoll a run out instead of JJ, depends if they have a right wing flyer, and whether we don't want to do overdo the changes in defence.

So many options, glorious.

• edited October 2019

They have Liam Feeney on the right of a front three (or as a RWB, I think) - most assists in the league this season and loves to get crosses in, so I'm inclined to think he'll go with JJ after Mascoll didn't fare too well against Jordan Clark for Accy.

• Will certainly be an interesting selection, but then it is every game.

Look forward to Smyth and Fred re-joining the party.