Skip to content

Game Day Experience...

Comments

• Interesting perspective @perfidious_albion if a little hard imho. The proper 'investment' hasn't happened yet and without proper control, the Couhig's and team are only able to 'advise' the current staff/management/board.

• You don't have to be veggie, or vegan to eat such things of course.

But you have to be a certain type of person to lash £7.50 on such dishes. Myself and @micra I dare say are way too tight a wad.
    I hope it takes off massively though.

And with all due respect to the post above, such views are why running a club must be pure hell, as people either suspect hidden motives with everything, or moan about something else.

• The club are starting to make moves towards becoming more sustainable - hence the new water supplier (although they have been pulled up on their own sustainability claims in the past). I hope this will be part of that in the longer run. Football needs to play its part in going greener as much as the rest of society - as long as that doesn't involve the Beast affixing himself to a train and angering commuters even more.

• Funnily enough, "Extinction Rebellion" is a tag that somehow suits the Beast!??

• @perfidious_albion said:
    World Wide Wycombe Phenomena needs to get back to basics.
    Trumpeting (no pun intended) new veggie burgers smacks of a pr exercise designed to demonstrate perceived on going improvements / concern for ‘game day experience’ and draw some of the heat from the log jam / dissatisfaction from current sub standard service levels elsewhere around the ground.
    My rough calculations:
    -What % of attendees are veggie? 10% tops, of which say half will buy food. 5% of 8k ( max attendance ) is 400 fans.
    -By comparison say 30% or 2400 fans want a drink at half time but the lines are so long / slow 20% if those, or 480 fans, don’t bother and the ongoing problem continues,
    -Result ‘Game day experience’ remains sub standard for a greater % of mainstream fans.
    Pouring quicker cups of tea might not be as sexy as flipping veggie burgers (never thought I’d be driven to type that) but that exemplifies the fundamental issue.
    ‘Game day experience‘ doesn’t need to be over complicated:
    Win on the pitch + quick drinks / food if required + speedy departure from the ground.
    Sort this before rearranging the deckchairs....

1) How is bringing in an entirely new catering option just a PR exercise? It improves quality of food, increases choice and reduces queues.

2) Non-veggie people like veggie food. Especially compared to some of the meat slop served up in the ground.

3) He's brought in a beer tent and an app and that's before he even owns the club. I'm sure more improvements are planned and he's moving in the right direction.

Trumpeting (no pun intended) new veggie burgers smacks of a pr exercise designed to demonstrate perceived on going improvements / concern for ‘game day experience’ and draw some of the heat from the log jam / dissatisfaction from current sub standard service levels elsewhere around the ground.
    My rough calculations:
    -What % of attendees are veggie? 10% tops, of which say half will buy food. 5% of 8k ( max attendance ) is 400 fans.
    -By comparison say 30% or 2400 fans want a drink at half time but the lines are so long / slow 20% if those, or 480 fans, don’t bother and the ongoing problem continues,
    -Result ‘Game day experience’ remains sub standard for a greater % of mainstream fans.
    Pouring quicker cups of tea might not be as sexy as flipping veggie burgers (never thought I’d be driven to type that) but that exemplifies the fundamental issue.
    Win on the pitch + quick drinks / food if required + speedy departure from the ground.

A bit of a false opposition here. Why not serve food to those who wouldn’t otherwise eat there AND serve beer. They are not mutually exclusive.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    My rough calculations:

A bit of a false opposition here. Why not serve food to those who wouldn’t otherwise eat there AND serve beer. They are not mutually exclusive.

Exactly. I'm not a strict vegetarian but I do try and avoid eating meat where possible, especially when its of low quality or dubious origin. S

As a result, I can't remember eating hot food in the ground for several years. Perhaps a chicken balti pie before they phased those out, but apart from that I sometimes buy a twix.

I'll definitely do my best to support the vegetarian food stand, and if its good, it could be come a regular part of the game day for me.

• AS a ber Living veggie I’m all for all that

• Loving, potentially true with living Also but not willing to Find out

• Did the NFL at Spurs experience at the weekend. Quick service and few queues for food and drink but it was expensive.

Would people pay more to get a better service (using better margins to get more or better staff)?

The other point on this was the constant flow of beer during the match as the normal no alcohol in the view of the pitch didn't apply. This must have reduced the half time pinch point that football finds so tough to get around.

Finally the assumption that only veggies eat veggie food is about as wrong as it can get

• My, rather too long winded it seems, point was one of priorities given finite resource.
    Seems I am wrong and I need to move vegetarian inclusivity way up my match day agenda.
    But agreed Lloyd let’s have clean loos, shorter queues, clean seats, easy parking etc etc and a vegetarian option, all in double quick time.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Did the NFL at Spurs experience at the weekend. Quick service and few queues for food and drink but it was expensive.

Would people pay more to get a better service (using better margins to get more or better staff)?

The other point on this was the constant flow of beer during the match as the normal no alcohol in the view of the pitch didn't apply. This must have reduced the half time pinch point that football finds so tough to get around.

Finally the assumption that only veggies eat veggie food is about as wrong as it can get

Is that stadium as good as it looks Righty?

• Not to be "too" pedantic, but it's Vegan rather than Veggie isn't it?

Different things!

• talking of American football, they've got to get in a big screen and do a Superbowl all nighter next year surely?

Hot dogs, pizza, beer

Pete Couhig + special guests on hand to explain what the hell's going on

My, rather too long winded it seems, point was one of priorities given finite resource.
    Seems I am wrong and I need to move vegetarian inclusivity way up my match day agenda.
    But agreed Lloyd let’s have clean loos, shorter queues, clean seats, easy parking etc etc and a vegetarian option, all in double quick time.

Well my daughter and I volunteer to clean seats in the off season, so we’re trying! ;)

• Will you be gluing yourself to the cook to prevent continuation of this ridiculous distraction @perfidious_albion ?

• For those critical of the veggie van being there -

I imagine we aren't paying for it, so it's no issue how many they sell/ how many fans they're catering for - also, the amount of veggie/ vegan fans is likely to go up rather than down. It's also about catering to the fans we haven't got yet, but want to attract to AP - we need to give options. This is smart business sense from the Couhigs.

Also, the burgers are expensive because manufacturing meat substitutes is far pricier than farming animals. They'll also probably be tastier, and much better for you than the cardboard slabs of cholesterol currently on offer.

• I have wondered a little about whether Rob and Missy see the game day experience from a US perspective? From the baseball games I’ve attended in America I noted how supporters would dip in and out of the game (for that matter I noted the same seeing Guns n Roses in LA- people coming and going more often than at a British gig). This meant less pressure on the food n booze outlets. But we’re not like that. The vast majority who want food want it before or in a 15 minute window. Does Rob think he can change that? Or does he have a plan to shift far more food and drink across the 15 minutes?

• edited October 2019

@Manboobs indeed. I went Yankee Stadium and it was a constant picnic with a game attached. I find it irritating enough when people start pushing past (sorry! Cheers! Sorry! Cheers mate! Sorry...etc etc ) five mins before half-time!!

• Even worse when its five minutes from the end of normal time!

• @eric_plant said:

Is that stadium as good as it looks Righty?

To be honest yes it is very impressive. I'd say the best stadium in the country now

• @Onlooker said:
    Even worse when its five minutes from the end of normal time!

Luckily when I head to the corner on 90 mins to witness the late equalising/winning goal I am at the end of the row :smile:

• edited October 2019

@Wendoverman said:
    @Manboobs indeed. I went Yankee Stadium and it was a constant picnic with a game attached. I find it irritating enough when people start pushing past (sorry! Cheers! Sorry! Cheers mate! Sorry...etc etc ) five mins before half-time!!

You wanna try my row.

A family and couple of mates make up about 6-7 and all seem to insist on coming and going individually. Even though they all huddle in the "grandstand" for most of halftime.

• I’m not a veggie but I’ll regularly choose non-meat options.

On the subject of service, I have never seen better than in the Trent Bridge tavern during a test match. It’s owned by ‘Spoons and they can section off the back room from the rest of the pub and allow access to the ground.

The thing is military precision. Snake queue, scary doorman type ordering you to get to the bar / get out of the way. Bar rammed with staff in duos, one pouring, one doing the till. Even at lunch and tea interval I have never waited more than 5 mins to get served. They must make a fortune and fair play to them.

• @Wendoverman said:

Drones! That’s what we need. A vegan burger delivered to my lap at the touch of an app.

• @Manboobs said:

@Wendoverman said:

Drones! That’s what we need. A vegan burger delivered to my lap at the touch of an app.

...but if it spills my pre-ordered pint I'll say Oi! Drone! No!

• @Wendoverman said:

@Manboobs said:

@Wendoverman said:

...but if it spills my pre-ordered pint I'll say Oi! Drone! No!

You are getting pre ordered pints into the stand? Sneaky.

• sssssh. If you decant it into an Irn Bru bottle...

• @eric_plant said:
    talking of American football, they've got to get in a big screen and do a Superbowl all nighter next year surely?

Hot dogs, pizza, beer

Pete Couhig + special guests on hand to explain what the hell's going on

Maybe the Stanley cup and the World Series as well