Skip to content

Comments

• Sunderland fans will be underwhelmed.

• Reading their forum, they certainly are.

Maybe they shouldn't be though, I believe he's taken 3 clubs up from league 1

• Oh please let me wake up tomorrow to hear he’s second choice after Gaz turned their offer down.

• 'Just' two, I think: Col U and Bolton (under a transfer embargo). Also took Bradford up from League Two and got them to the League Cup final - and was in charge when they beat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup. I'd say that's a pretty decent CV.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    'Just' two, I think: Col U and Bolton (under a transfer embargo). Also took Bradford up from League Two and got them to the League Cup final - and was in charge when they beat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup. I'd say that's a pretty decent CV.

And a League cup final

• I have a lot of respect for him, with how hard he had those Bolton kids playing. The Sunderland game is going to be more difficult than it would have been with Ross!

That said, I am selfishly ecstatic not to lose GA!

• A couple of days isn't really much time to get them playing his way!

• True word! But perhaps they will get that new manager bounce.

Here's hoping GA shows them what they missed out on!

• You often get a new manager bounce, but whether that will happen this weekend or next is anyone's guess.

• While obviously in WWFC interests, have to feel immense sympathy for GA at getting so close but it appears just missing out on a big opportunity. Cant imagine it will be much fun for him being abused about it by 2000+ sunderland supporters in 48 hours time.

• Jesus.......

• edited October 2019

Not sure which of devs recurrings i least like. Wanting to push gaz to any vacancy going,or talking of how the national south/ryman/the rye is our sustainable level

• Sorry, are you saying you don't feel sympathy for Gareth in this situation (assuming of course he wanted the job)?

• I'm saying you're a tedious troll and should probably just piss off

• As are you, just ignore him if you don't like it

• Supposedly, Gareth turned them down, although I personally don't believe that. He also said it would take something "spectacular" to entice him away from us.

Supposedly, Gareth turned them down, although I personally don't believe that. He also said it would take something "spectacular" to entice him away from us.

Where did you hear the turning them down part?
    Can certainly believe the latter part. You don't spend 7 years scrimping, suddenly get a terrific squad with a hopefully voted in new backer and then walk away very easily!

• Yeah...he never usually gets any abuse from opposition fans and after the delightful game last season I'm sure he will be shocked on saturday

• Was having a discussion yesterday about what is best for the Ainsworth brand going forward, assuming he's open to a decent move.

Does turning down other roles tie him more to Wycombe and stop clubs asking or is it damaging to just miss out to others every time?

Hopefully he's still at Wycombe at the end of the voting period and a contract update must be on the cards.

• I can't imagine for a second he turned Sunderland down to be honest

• edited October 2019

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Supposedly, Gareth turned them down, although I personally don't believe that. He also said it would take something "spectacular" to entice him away from us.

Where did you hear the turning them down part?
    Can certainly believe the latter part. You don't spend 7 years scrimping, suddenly get a terrific squad with a hopefully voted in new backer and then walk away very easily!

Would be more believable if he wasn't wrong about Cook and Robins - whose respective clubs both rejected approaches, didn't they?
  • I can imagine him turning it down. For all the reasons we have pondered over on here - family, state of SAFC, chance of an equally good job down south. Still worried about Millwall to be honest.

• "I'm told there's a lot of rumours"

What a boy

• Because football managers jobs don't come up on a fairly regular basis do they? Sunderland not in top four at end of season? Vacant seat. Again. QPR struggling? Vacant seat. Again. I think he'll see out this season myself

• Let's be honest even with where we are at a moment in the league there is absolutely no pressure on GA to gain promotion (this season)

If the vote goes the way we all now think it will then he really could acheive something very special and elivate his stature as a manager from its (already high) level to one that would be of interest to club higher up the pyrimid than Sunderland - that's if any of those clubs are the balls to employ a English manager with 'only' lower league expericence.

I really do believe that Championship teams are missing a trick not looking at managers like GA
    That league is a huge slog and you really need to understand the demands of it to be successful

• That said, and has already been mentioned here, who'd have foreseen Nathan Jones doing so badly at Stoke?

• The Telegraph article makes it clear why Sunderland were tempted by Gareth but ultimately rejected him - he has no championship experience and no track record of taking a club out of League One. It's hard to see other clubs higher up the pyramid taking the risk either. They all seem impressed by his personality and what he's achieved with Wycombe but that's never quite enough. Which could leave Gareth two options - stick with Wycombe or move to the next Lincoln-type club which has a better chance of getting promoted. I suspect he'll see out the season here now and try very hard to get us into the play-offs. But the squad we've got now is as good as it gets - the Couhigs aren't going to take the playing budget up any further - and if we fail to make the play-offs I can't see Gareth not looking to move on to another League One team with a bigger budget in the summer.

Shame it’s not confirmed. I had my chant all ready for when Fred bangs in the third “That’s why Gaz turned you down, that’s why Gaz turned you down”

• @Wendoverman said:
    Because football managers jobs don't come up on a fairly regular basis do they? Sunderland not in top four at end of season? Vacant seat. Again. QPR struggling? Vacant seat. Again. I think he'll see out this season myself

Reading have had TEN in the last 7 years!